red cards

rednex41

Let's look at it on the other hand. If a player gets one red card, he is watched like a hawk for the rest of the season. From then on out he is treated specially and refs tend to look for resons to send him off again. I've seen it happen and i think that someone needs to talk to refs about that.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree that some officials will target teams and players.

Also, many fouls that get people carded in soccer don't end in ejections in other sports.

My earlier posts were in regards to the downright 'ugly' stuff that I read about in some of the games discussed here.

The story of the goal keeper 'going after the official'. The story of the parents and fans ' throwing things and cussing' at the visitors. Those are the things that the TSSAA needs to step up on and put an end to otherwise there will be outside forces (lawyers, school boards) setting policy

I know I keep lurking around here tonight, waiting on scores, but one more 2 cents from a ref and I'll do what I ask of others, shut up and play...

As to some cabal of referees, coluding on players past indiscressions, don't give us too much credit. I did about a dozen matches this season and refereed 2 teams twice and one 3 times. Usually, I have a partner that I see frequently on the pitch, never off, we don't live in the same towns or have anything else in common. I don't research the teams on match day to see which player is a frequent offender, and there is no place that "list" is kept.

In the case of one team I refereed 3 times this season, a player liked to strike his opponant in the back with his elbow, usually a split second after the other man has played the ball off. He's really quite good, coming in, as if to challenge and keeping his opponant between us so I can't "see" him hit- often the opponant jerks around and he raises both hands and asks, "did you see that?". I warn him, give a fou and the second time I issue a caution.

Three matches, three warnings, three cautions. I make note of the caution in the ref report but do you suppose another man can sift through, say, 10 matches, look for that player's number and offenses?

waiting on scores....

TSSAA does keep a close watch on all red cards-they are supposed to be reported within 24 hours. Most refs report them the night of the match. Coaches that receive red cards typically have to sit out the next match and are fined $250.

Our ref association in East TN also tracks yellow cards. We report these to our high school supervisor after each game; that way any persistent infringers can be identified and trends evaluated.

Taunting was made a hard red last season which carries the typical next game suspension and forces your team to play short the rest of the current game assuming he was in the game and not on the bench.

I also would not compare soccer to football. I really don't think there is any place for dropping the f bomb or other profanity during the match; there is no need for it and it denigrates the game.

One last note: if you think the ref did a good job (it does happen once in a while!) tell him so after the game; that means a whole lot more to many of us than the money. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(MD4Sports @ May 8 2007 - 09:57 PM) 826454945[/snapback]TSSAA does keep a close watch on all red cards-they are supposed to be reported within 24 hours. Most refs report them the night of the match. Coaches that receive red cards typically have to sit out the next match and are fined $250.

Our ref association in East TN also tracks yellow cards. We report these to our high school supervisor after each game; that way any persistent infringers can be identified and trends evaluated.

Taunting was made a hard red last season which carries the typical next game suspension and forces your team to play short the rest of the current game assuming he was in the game and not on the bench.

I also would not compare soccer to football. I really don't think there is any place for dropping the f bomb or other profanity during the match; there is no need for it and it denigrates the game.

One last note: if you think the ref did a good job (it does happen once in a while!) tell him so after the game; that means a whole lot more to many of us than the money. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Just to clarify I'm not saying its okay to say the f-bomb. I'm saying I hear it all the time in football and basketball games and it is not a ejection from the game nor having to sit a game out. Just saying I think soccer players are held to a higher standard than others, of course our sport is better so maybe we should be /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

As other's had said, it's hard to say what a red card's punishment should be. But whatever it is, it shouldn't be in concrete. Usually the second guy always gets caught. Anyone who has played a sport knows this. We had a guy get punched in the face this season, and the ref didn't even call a foul. I personnaly think that deserves punishment.

But then last night, we had a player who often gets foul's called on him make a LEGAL slide tackle, and got a straight red. The kid (Chindit probly knows him, Collins) isn't rich at all. But now he has to pay a $250(?) dollar fine, for something nearly everyone called legal.

What I'm trying to say is, inless their is a way for the foul to be verified, then there should be a SMALL fine, and SMALL punishment. I feel we lost last night, and our season ended, cause of that one questionable call. Not only did his season end, he may be punished next season, and has a huge fine. That is punishment enough for a questionable call.

(Not dissing ref's at all.)

QUOTE(Cheamilion @ May 9 2007 - 10:45 AM) 826455438[/snapback]But now he has to pay a $250(?) dollar fine, for something nearly everyone called legal.

I believe that fine is only for coaches getting a red card.

One last note: if you think the ref did a good job (it does happen once in a while!) tell him so after the game; that means a whole lot more to many of us than the money.

It's kind of hard with the refs sprinting off the field at the end of the game. I understand why they do it though. I find that calling into the ref supervisor and giving a good report can be effective, too.

QUOTE(BigG @ May 9 2007 - 12:53 PM) 826455445[/snapback]I believe that fine is only for coaches getting a red card.

I hope so. I think a Team mate of mine had to pay last year, but it may have been changed. Or heck, Maybe our coaches are lieing to us so we be more careful...

No clue, i just don't plan on one anyway.

In reference to the red cards that the Sweetwater players received during the McMinn game, they were not issued as a result of foul mouths (that came after the cards). The first red card was from an intentional tackle from behind. It was a fair call. The second red card was the result of a player retaliating for being held around the waist, when nothing was called the Sweetwater player took it upon himself to get back and so he took the McMinn' player's feet out from under him. The McMinn player fell into the box, so what the ref saw was a player down in the box. Thus the card, then the mouth.

The ref in this game was inconsistent (he let hard tackles go then call touch fouls) at best and then we saw him ref a game Thursday and he was just as inconsistent in that one. He appeared to spend more time grand standing for the fans than reffing the game. His poor calling had a direct effect on the outcome of Thursdays game. i.e. resulting in a team losing that should not have.

I don't condone the language used by the kids, but in reality you may not think "Your kid would never say things like that" but the reality is they are all adolescent boys with the testosterone flowing, and when they feel a game is not being called fairly, tempers start to flare and the language is not pretty. When we played a Christian team this season all our boys were talking about were the words those kids used on the field. It a fact the language is bad in all sports.

I've seen enough soccer to see that there is no consistency among the refs. Each game is called different. Calls are made according the discression of the refs. Some refs are really good about not letting pushes, shoves, elbows in the back, tackles, etc., get out of hand, but you also have the refs who call nothing. When that happens the refs lose control of the game. The kids (and that includes both teams) start trying to push the limits, knowing that nothing is going to happen. When this happens tempers flare and it become a mental game rather than a good game of soccer.

Players are expected to be held accountable for their actions, why are refs not held accountable for theirs.

The refs number one priorty should be to protect the players.

We've all seen it happen. I dare say none of use care to lose if is a fairly called game and is won on the merits of the team and not on the bad calls of the refs.

I

QUOTE(KitKat2 @ May 11 2007 - 05:42 PM) 826457471[/snapback]His poor calling had a direct effect on the outcome of Thursdays game. i.e. resulting in a team losing that should not have.

The team you were supporting should have finished their chances and played better defense. That wins games. Not one call. Sorry.

How about people just stop thinking that certain words are bad, and we play football like true footballers. Watch a professional game--not MLS; that barely constitutes being called football period. How about they adopt the same rules as FIFA, seeing as it is the Football Association. I'm tired of this political correctness which is bestowed upon sports in the States, why doesn't everyone just grow up?

QUOTE(atdenton @ May 11 2007 - 06:07 PM) 826457516[/snapback]well i understand what your are saying about inconsistency. but let me ask you a question? how do you as a referee stop a player from making a malicious tackle. say the kid does it you send off but the other kid is still injured. what if you have a game where the kids and coaches think the game is under control then all of a sudden you have a player just make a hard tackle then the kid has a broken nose. what would be your advice for that?

It depends if the "hard tackle" was a clean one. I'm sick of as a player going in for the ball, getting it, touching it first, but because the other player trips over my back foot I get called on the foul. It is his own fault. It has gone as far as when I cleared a ball out one of the other players charged with his shoulder and knocked me a step back. Being an ex-keeper I am used to collisions and didn't fall over. Because of my ability to not fall over, they called a foul on me. I asked the ref what the foul was for and he said, "because you didn't fall over." Tell me if that is in the book.