District 9A Crazy Game

EvilleEagles

QUOTE(fhsbaseball8 @ May 8 2007 - 10:39 AM) 826454339[/snapback]I dont know who either of these teams are, I play in AAA, but the correct rule, is that if the infielder can make a play on the ball, or is attempting to make a play on the ball, then the infield fly rule would be in effect, even if it is in the outfield, and from what i am reading, the shortstop was the one making the play, so the rule should have been in effect.

You really need to thoroughly read the rule...Check out a NFHS rule book and read the COMPLETE AND THE EXCEPTIONS THAT APPLY.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ May 8 2007 - 10:36 AM) 826454338[/snapback]I have a question? I know that district 9A matches up with 10A in the regionals, but who do the two winners from the region play in the sub state? Also how many games do you play in regionals? Is it a one game series? Thanks in advance for anyone who has this information.

You will play someone from the Summeretown, Columbia Academy, Huntland region. Good Luck Maybe We can meet up again in the region

QUOTE(CUBCADET @ May 8 2007 - 09:47 AM) 826454346[/snapback]You really need to thoroughly read the rule...Check out a NFHS rule book and read the COMPLETE AND THE EXCEPTIONS THAT APPLY.

No dog in this hunt, but...

Infield Fly rule

a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an

infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are

occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in

the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule. When it

seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare

“Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall

declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.” The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball

being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If

the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul. If a declared Infield Fly is

allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it

is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and

bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly. On the infield fly rule the

umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder, not by

some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that

a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball

could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be

considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be

made immediately. When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk.

If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play

despite the provisions of Rule 8.06.H.12. The infield fly rule takes precedence

QUOTE(FHSFAN @ May 8 2007 - 09:42 AM) 826454291[/snapback]Are you SERIOUS my 3 year old son could have caught that ball. It was DEFINITLEY an infield fly. He was camped under it and just dropped it. I did not know a conventional double play was when an infielder dropped a pop up then threw it to third then to second, isn't that what the infield fly is for. Maybe you don't know rules or for that matter the umpires.

Your three year old must be a future major leaguer then, Cascade SS and the LFer were going for the ball in LEFT FIELD, not the IF.

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ May 8 2007 - 10:36 AM) 826454338[/snapback]I have a question? I know that district 9A matches up with 10A in the regionals, but who do the two winners from the region play in the sub state? Also how many games do you play in regionals? Is it a one game series? Thanks in advance for anyone who has this information.

If you win the first game in the region you will play in the region finals and the substate if you win all three you go to state. I hope that helps. Good Luck

QUOTE(Rabble Rouser @ May 8 2007 - 11:17 AM) 826454377[/snapback]No dog in this hunt, but...

Infield Fly rule

a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an

infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are

occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in

the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule. When it

seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare

“Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall

declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.” The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball

being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If

the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul. If a declared Infield Fly is

allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it

is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and

bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly. On the infield fly rule the

umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder, not by

some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that

a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball

could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be

considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be

made immediately. When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk.

If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play

despite the provisions of Rule 8.06.H.12. The infield fly rule takes precedence

The key phrase is "ordinary effort."

QUOTE(FHSFAN @ May 8 2007 - 11:15 AM) 826454372[/snapback]You will play someone from the Summeretown, Columbia Academy, Huntland region. Good Luck Maybe We can meet up again in the region

The champion from 9A and the runner up face the runner up and the champion from 10A.

10A teams left: Nashville Christian vs. McEwen, winners bracket final at 500

East Robertson vs. Clarksville Academy, loser bracket semi at 730

Both games are at Houston Co. HS today.

The winners from the Region semis advance to the Region Finals, the losers are eliminated.

the winner of the region plays at home in the sub state, the loser travels, the winners of the sub state go to the state tourney aka Spring Fling.

Good luck to everyone in 9A!!! There have been some great games so far, and I am sure more to come!

QUOTE(back@home @ May 8 2007 - 11:19 AM) 826454379[/snapback]Your three year old must be a future major leaguer then, Cascade SS and the LFer were going for the ball in LEFT FIELD, not the IF.

No matter where the ball was it was a routine play. The shortstop SHOULD have made the play EASILY!!!!!!!!!!!!! If your left fielder couldn't get to the ball then it must have been close to the infield!!!

Didn't mean to stur up a hornets nest with this. I was there merely for the 3rd game where Eagleville played Van Buren. I had no dog in the fight. I think both calls were the correct call, even though they both seemed to go against Forrest. The Infield fly rule is a judgement call, if in the umpires judgement it is a routine fly ball to an infielder then he should call infield fly, that ball last night was most likely the outfielders ball, but momo from Cascade is just so fast he go to it and called off the outfielder, if I'm that outfielder I let Momo have it as well, just because that's the type of leader that he is, he steps up and takes charge.

In response to the behavior of the Forrest fans, they were upset because things weren't going their way, I never heard a life threat on the Umpire, but I could be wrong. If those two calls would have gone against Cascade, I'm sure the Cascade fans would have been just as bad on the umpires. Every school has fans that have a tendency of getting on the umpires/officials. It's high school sports, fans pay their money to get in and cheer for their team and yell at the officials. Happens in all sports. It's not a job that alot of people can perform. If their behavior was over the top, I'm sure the TSSAA will hand down some sort of punishment.

QUOTE(FHSFAN @ May 8 2007 - 11:35 AM) 826454397[/snapback]No matter where the ball was it was a routine play. The shortstop SHOULD have made the play EASILY!!!!!!!!!!!!! If your left fielder couldn't get to the ball then it must have been close to the infield!!!

Yes, routine, for the LFer, but no ordinary effort by the SS. The LFer should have called MoMo off and caught the ball, but it did not happen that way. Just another crazy play in a wild and crazy game.

QUOTE(EvilleEagles @ May 8 2007 - 11:35 AM) 826454398[/snapback]Didn't mean to stur up a hornets nest with this. I was there merely for the 3rd game where Eagleville played Van Buren. I had no dog in the fight. I think both calls were the correct call, even though they both seemed to go against Forrest. The Infield fly rule is a judgement call, if in the umpires judgement it is a routine fly ball to an infielder then he should call infield fly, that ball last night was most likely the outfielders ball, but momo from Cascade is just so fast he go to it and called off the outfielder, if I'm that outfielder I let Momo have it as well, just because that's the type of leader that he is, he steps up and takes charge.

In response to the behavior of the Forrest fans, they were upset because things weren't going their way, I never heard a life threat on the Umpire, but I could be wrong. If those two calls would have gone against Cascade, I'm sure the Cascade fans would have been just as bad on the umpires. Every school has fans that have a tendency of getting on the umpires/officials. It's high school sports, fans pay their money to get in and cheer for their team and yell at the officials. Happens in all sports. It's not a job that alot of people can perform. If their behavior was over the top, I'm sure the TSSAA will hand down some sort of punishment.

These two schools have a history of heated battles. Call it competitive spirit. As long as it stays somewhat civil and doesn't get mean-spirited, it's all good. I have both family and friends in Chapel Hill and as you said, we all have fans that sometimes go overboard. Probably could of been said about me a couple of times. Obviously I wasn't there and didn't see either play in question, but in reference to the first one, it made not difference whether they tagged the player or the base, if the run scored first it counts. This is an appeal play, not a force play. In reference to the second, knowing MoMo, I'd tend to believe your unbiased opinion that he most likely got to a ball that some other players probably would of left for the out fielder and the key words to that rule is "umpires judgement". He probably felt this was an outfield hit also thus not "immediately" making the call as required. Some people don't realize how difficult it is to make every call correctly 100% of the time. Why do you think several sports use instant replay? At any rate, I'm sure Forrest will recover from the close game and come back tommorrow night more ready than ever to try and avenge the loss. Good luck Champs!

P.S. For the Forrest fan with the awesome three year old, if he grows up to be anywhere close to the caliber of player MoMo is, consider yourself very lucky! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(CUBCADET @ May 8 2007 - 09:34 AM) 826454282[/snapback]I would like to wish a speedy recovery for Mr. Henson also..The plays in question were (1) in the first inning, an unconventional double play occured as in the post above..The run did count. (2) In the second play, the shortstop was out in left field to try to catch a ball that should really have been handled by the left fielder. He was NOT camped out under the ball and it was NOT a situation to make the catch with ORDINARY EFFORT, as the RULE states...The correct call was made by the umpires who made the call immediately and then had to listen to the Forrest coach screaming something about the infield fly rule..(which did NOT apply to this play!!) They tried to calm Coach Hardison down to tell him that this was not an infield fly rule situation. He was confined to the dugout after repeated efforts to continue the game and his attempts to protest a play that cannot be protested. They then reaffirmed their call (run does not count) on routine double play, and the game proceeded. Funny how LITTLE some of the coaches know about the little things in the rule book. Then the Forrest fans really turned ugly with one man even threatening the plate umpire and telling him that he would know who he ( the person yelling) was because he would be in the parking lot "looking for #6".. The ump crew did not lose their composure at any time but remained calm thoughout the ugly mess. Then to put an exclamation point on the night, the Forrest players on the bus before the coaches got out to the bus were hollering and cursing the umpires as they dressed across the parking lot from their bus. Not a surprise since one of them threw the game ball at the base ump when the game was over and the umps were leaving the field!! Even a parent or two made a journey over where the umps were to make a rude comment or two..TOTALLY CLASSLESS! This not hearsay...I was there and saw it all...UNBELIEVABLE ! Other than the fans and a couple of ugly incidents, it was a good game. Both teams made crucial errors and allowed the other team to score when they would not had they made the plays . Good Luck to both teams in the rest of the tourn!

Didn't see the game. I am a Forrest fan, but this is typical of what goes on between Forrest and Cascade in any sport. Its been my experience that usually the situations aren't what is written in these posts. And of course we have to add classless and say how little some coaches know about baseball. Last year we didn't hear alot from Cascade Fans during baseball, even when their biggest fan was run out of Forrest by the umpire before the first inning was over. Is it because Forrest dominated last year. This year Cascade has a good team (they were good last year also) so now here come the "classless" remarks again. Can't just leave it on the field.