Bearden/Farragut predictions

dins8

QUOTE(dins8 @ May 11 2007 - 10:24 PM) 826457739[/snapback]kingofblurbs--

Did I call Bearden to lose to McMinn? I don't remember that at all. Did I call them to lose to Maryville? I think I might have said maybe. Am I wrong on my predictions? More times than not, I am ridiculously off, often times embarrassingly off. I never claimed to be a soccer mesiah. I seem to catch just a touch of a facetious tone in your post, and it must mean that I angered you with predicting Bearden to lose. If this was the case, I really am sorry. Surely everyone knows by now that I am a huge admirer of Turner and the Bearden program in general.

As for the game...

It was absolutely outstanding. Both teams played the way they should play--physically and passionately. Kids were scrapping all over the field, and in any ordinary game, there might have been some sort of a brawl. But I think these two teams, despite the fact that they would probably never admit it, have a tremendous amount of respect for each other.

Both teams had their share of chances, and both keepers were tenacious and solid. Farragut probably had the better chances, especially in the first half. In the end, Farragut's speed of play and overall execution was just too much for Bearden.

Player of the Game: Ben Backstrom! This was the most impressed I have been with him all year. I think I have probably underestimated his intelligence as a player; he truly is a great HS athlete. He constantly made Bearden fret over him, and he created the most opportunities for Farragut. He owned the first half, and he was especially brilliant on the second goal. Ben toyed with the sideline to where he ran completely out of bounds, only to have two Bearden players commit the worst sin in soccer--they both screamed at the ref that the ball was out. Whether it was out or not, was not the point. The point was...Ben did not stop for a second, and in that split second that the Bearden defenders complained to the ref, Ben pulled two yards away and then put a simple and savvy ball into the six for an eager forward. Very mature effort by Ben and disappointing to watch Bearden react this way.

Morevoer, Ben kept defenders guessing all game. After he was able to beat Bearden defenders 1 vs. 1 in the first half, Bearden defenders seemed to flock to him like he was a magnet in the second. Ben was smart enough to dump the ball to an oncoming flank, which once again created great opportunities for Farragut. Ben is very good at playing the way he's facing and knowing when to be creative and when to pick his head up and play simple one touch soccer. Once he started dumping the ball, Bearden's defense spread out, allowing Ben to once again go 1 vs. 1 and score for the final goal. Great players let the game develop and respect its volition. Well done Ben!

Question of the Game: Why did Farragut's central defender come out midway through the second half? More knee problems? Furthermore, why do so many of Farragut's better players spend so much time on the bench? Am I missing something? Doesn't #8 deserve to be on the field more?

Funniest part of the game: The two keepers blasting the ball back and forth to each other.

Enigma: Caesar Ruiz (sp.)--Caesar is a great leader, but why does he always seem to be going half speed? I don't think that I have ever seen him in a full out sprint. I think that his physical presence could definitely help Bearden's attack if he would support and work harder. Is Caesar hurt?

Kingoftheblurbs--Absolutely NO dog in this fight whatsover. This is just what I saw. Tonight, Farragut was the better team. No question about it.

Bearden, use tonight as motivation to have the last laugh! Dare I say...Bearden/Farragut part III next week?

i completely agree with you on farragut's best players being out too much...but i guess it didn't hurt them too much though. at one point, i thought i saw holt about to pitch a fit on the sidelines...and rightfully so. after being out for almost 20 minutes in the first half, he came in completely stiff at the end of the half. i think the coach sometimes forgets that some of his better players are on the sidelines, and it definitely has hurt them in other games. also, backstrom was outstanding tonight. the play on the sidelines was right in front of us, and i don't think he was out. if he was out, there was no way that the linesman could have seen it...there were too many bodies in such a tight space.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(PinballWizard @ May 11 2007 - 11:10 PM) 826457786[/snapback]Personally I think Jake Holt #8 had a great game with just a few mistakes everyone makes. Didnt play too much i agreee..

And Farraguts central defender Nic came out with a stinger to his leg. A late hit by Schoenfeld early in the game just kept nagging him all game.

*funniest part of the night- Bearden playing band instruments in the school during the storm break, haha

Actually, I think the funniest part of the game might have been the center ref losing his whistle as he ran into Backstrom to try and warn him not to celebrate. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

QUOTE(dins8 @ May 12 2007 - 12:00 PM) 826457948[/snapback]Actually, I think the funniest part of the game might have been the center ref losing his whistle as he ran into Backstrom to try and warn him not to celebrate. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Yeah that was hilarious

QUOTE(lchalfback @ May 11 2007 - 10:31 PM) 826457637[/snapback]Does anyone know the score of this game and who won?

Well, this was by far the best game I have seen for the whole year. It has to be one of the top 5 best games that I have ever seen from high school! It was great from beginning to the end! Farragut played a great game and now everyone knows their potential- it was on the field last night. I thought the ref was good at times but I saw some fouls from both teams that were not called. Nothing that would change a game. The PK that he called in the first 10 or 15 minutes was very, very questionable!! I didn't see a reason to give a PK that early in a game of this importance, but he did. Walker made a great save but missed the rebound. That's how it goes! I thought the AR on the fans side really, really missed a ball that was WAY out of bounds that Backstrom played in beautifully!! It was clearly out but they missed it. The play continued from there and Farragut scored a quick goal. Again these things happen and Bearden had plenty of time to stop it but didn't! Nothing that was not called would have changed the outcome (with the possible exception of the PK). The weird thing is that I thought Bearden played one the their best games last night! They were just not ready. You would think that after winning 16 games in a row that they would lose one by just having a weak game...but that was not the case. They played great- Farragut played better!! It should make a 3rd meeting a great game- if Bearden gets past West and Farragut can manage to squeak out a win over Karns.

I would also add that I think the Farragut parents showed a lot of class after the game. This is not some sarcastic statement- they were really gracious. Some of them came to me and stated that the PK should not have happened, and a lot of the parents from Farragut said that the ball played in by Backstrom was clearly way out of bounds. That is how it goes, this is by no means an excuse- I just thought that the way they handled things after the game was awesome!! Thats what fans of the game that understand the game say to each other- no arguments, no complaints, just apprecation for a great game. I thought the players also showed great poise after the game.

As far as the players.. Backstrom again had an awesome game for Farragut and Webster for Bearden was clearly the best player on the field!! Both keepers were awesome!! This was not the Adam Green I saw at Oak Ridge!!

Awesome game!!

QUOTE(kingoftheblurbs @ May 12 2007 - 12:32 PM) 826458006[/snapback]I don't know about facetious, but definitely sarcastic! Not angry, more like amused.

People always bypass west every time.. assuming theyll alwyas get beat.. im sure thats where they get motivation from

QUOTE(pseudophobia @ May 12 2007 - 01:33 PM) 826457981[/snapback]The PK that he called in the first 10 or 15 minutes was very, very questionable!! I didn't see a reason to give a PK that early in a game of this importance, but he did. Walker made a great save but missed the rebound. That's how it goes! I thought the AR on the fans side really, really missed a ball that was WAY out of bounds that Backstrom played in beautifully!! It was clearly out but they missed it. The play continued from there and Farragut scored a quick goal. Again these things happen and Bearden had plenty of time to stop it but didn't! Nothing that was not called would have changed the outcome (with the possible exception of the PK). The weird thing is that I thought Bearden played one the their best games last night! They were just not ready. You would think that after winning 16 games in a row that they would lose one by just having a weak game...but that was not the case. They played great- Farragut played better!! It should make a 3rd meeting a great game- if Bearden gets past West and Farragut can manage to squeak out a win over Karns.

I would also add that I think the Farragut parents showed a lot of class after the game. This is not some sarcastic statement- they were really gracious. Some of them came to me and stated that the PK should not have happened, and a lot of the parents from Farragut said that the ball played in by Backstrom was clearly way out of bounds. That is how it goes, this is by no means an excuse- I just thought that the way they handled things after the game was awesome!! Thats what fans of the game that understand the game say to each other- no arguments, no complaints, just apprecation for a great game. I thought the players also showed great poise after the game.

As far as the players.. Backstrom again had an awesome game for Farragut and Webster for Bearden was clearly the best player on the field!! Both keepers were awesome!! This was not the Adam Green I saw at Oak Ridge!!

Awesome game!!

I thought that the PK was the right call. The Farragut player had position for the ball and the Bearden guy clearly pushed him from behind. A foul in the box is a PK. No matter when it happens it should be called. It is like in basketball when the refs won't call a foul within the last few second of the game, because they "want the players to win the game". I hate that garbage. A foul is a foul and it should be called no matter what the circumstances. There was another close call that the center judge what ever you call him called the ball out of bounds when I didn't think it was, but he was about 40 yards away and called it out. You also can't forget about the goal Farragut was about to score when the ref blew his whistle for halftime. Farragut had 2 people, 1 with the ball, within 7 yards of the goal. It was definitely a great game. Too bad there was only 1 news station there and no WMAK. I am a little disappointed they chose the West/Karns game. You never pass up a Farragut/Bearden game in any sport.

QUOTE(pseudophobia @ May 12 2007 - 11:33 AM) 826457981[/snapback]Well, this was by far the best game I have seen for the whole year. It has to be one of the top 5 best games that I have ever seen from high school! It was great from beginning to the end! Farragut played a great game and now everyone knows their potential- it was on the field last night. I thought the ref was good at times but I saw some fouls from both teams that were not called. Nothing that would change a game. The PK that he called in the first 10 or 15 minutes was very, very questionable!! I didn't see a reason to give a PK that early in a game of this importance, but he did. Walker made a great save but missed the rebound. That's how it goes! I thought the AR on the fans side really, really missed a ball that was WAY out of bounds that Backstrom played in beautifully!! It was clearly out but they missed it. The play continued from there and Farragut scored a quick goal. Again these things happen and Bearden had plenty of time to stop it but didn't! Nothing that was not called would have changed the outcome (with the possible exception of the PK). The weird thing is that I thought Bearden played one the their best games last night! They were just not ready. You would think that after winning 16 games in a row that they would lose one by just having a weak game...but that was not the case. They played great- Farragut played better!! It should make a 3rd meeting a great game- if Bearden gets past West and Farragut can manage to squeak out a win over Karns.

Awesome game!!

I wasn't going to mention the PK, but now that you mention it, I thought the PK was the right call. PKs are always hard for any referee to call, and most don't have the stones to blow the whistle in a game of that magnitude. I would have been thoroughly agitated if I were a Farragut player and a whistle wasn't blown.

Ultimately, I think Chip Fuller is one of the better refs in this area, and he did a solid job last night. Look how many advantage calls he gave both Bearden and Farragut last night. He had complete control of the game, but he let the players battle and be physical. He does quite a bit of college games, and I am always confident that a consistent and accurate game will be called when he is in the center. As for the play on the sidelines, I couldn't see if it was out, but if it was, I guess that is just the way it goes.

I agree...best game so far this year!

One more thing...awesome save by Walker on the pk. He has been the best keeper I have seen this year.