CAK/Catholic ... Farragut/Bearden

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(stevescarb @ May 16 2007 - 10:15 AM) 826460159[/snapback]There's no way to resolve the public private debate. Some think they are simply unequal, some disagree, and there's no sense in arguing that here and now. Give it a rest and move on.

As for the business at hand...

Farragut over Bearden, even though I love Bearden's game. Turner does more with less but it's not enough if Farragut's defense stays home.

The Gorgeous Game of the Christians vs the Wrecking Crew of the Catholics is harder to call. The ref crew could have some bearing on this one. The refs keep it clean and CAK plays their game, I give them the edge... but then I thought they would win District.

At this point I get to sit in the stands and cheer for everybody. Which ever way these games go, the rest of the state has a problem if we can keep 'em all healthy.

(You listening, refs?)

Tsk, tsk, my friend. "Clean" is in the eye of the beholder. Neither of these teams are shrinking violets and Catholic has easily received as much as it has given in the earlier matches with the "Christians". [i trust we don't need to discuss that Catholics were among the original Christians, do we?] The teams dependant on real hackers are no longer playing at this point in the season. If the refs are fair and consistent, that is all that should matter when good teams meet. That certainly was the case in our two earlier games. (Of course they are listening!) Enjoy the match. The last one was fantastic.

As for Bearden v. Farragut---I think Bearden by a goal.

QUOTE(Hoya @ May 16 2007 - 10:39 AM) 826460186[/snapback]As for Bearden v. Farragut---I think Bearden by a goal.

The more you write, the smarter you get! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

The Bearden/Farragut game will be much different than last week. Bearden has something to prove. And remember all the talk about South-Doyle and Bearden. South-Doyle was going to come in and beat Bearden because nobody game them any love. Well, Bearden took it to them. Bearden seems to be a team that plays a lot better when they feel they're backs are to the wall. And this is a game in which I consider Bearden's backs are against the wall. The weaknesses for Bearden were exploited last week by Farragut and I'm sure the Bearden coaching staff has found a remedy for that. I doubt there are many more weaknesses on that team. This is why I'm predicting Bearden in this one... 3-2.

The CAK/Catholic will be another one that will hopefully match up to the last one, although I don't know if it could. This will be a defensive battle, low scoring, but I doubt it will go to PK's again. I hope the ref's or the field doesn't play a factor in this game. Tarr will have his chance tonight to shut his critics up. CAK will take it 1-0.

Good Luck. These are going to be 2 great games, but fly fishing in the Smokies this time of year is hard to pass up.

I thought Catholics were Christians?

Anyway, to add to the controversy, Farragut will beat Bearden again, this time 3-1. Give Farragut an edge due to home field, due to slightly superior overall talent, and due to a confidence springing from their belief they are peaking a little more than the Bulldogs right now.

CAK will beat Catholic in OT, 2-1. CAK will simply be more determined to not lose two in a row to their sectarian rivals.

QUOTE(NedNatterjack @ May 16 2007 - 10:56 AM) 826460198[/snapback]Good Luck. These are going to be 2 great games, but fly fishing in the Smokies this time of year is hard to pass up.

Come to one of the games. The little fishys will be there on Friday. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(Hoya @ May 16 2007 - 09:09 AM) 826460209[/snapback]Come to one of the games. The little fishys will be there on Friday. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You make a very valid point and that thought has crossed my mind a few times. If only I had nothing to do Friday or this weekend for that matter. I wish, just this once, I could have my cake and eat it too! (what does that mean anyway?)

QUOTE(Hoya @ May 16 2007 - 10:39 AM) 826460186[/snapback]Tsk, tsk, my friend...

Now don't go all defensive on me, Hoya. The school names are the school names, nothing implied beyond that. I think these are all great teams, and I have to make my predictions based on the games I've seen...Apparently there are some undercurrents and unspoken rivalries that I'm not aware of living out here in the sticks.

I think if you re-read what I posted, I didn't say anybody was "Clean or Not clean" and certainly didn't mean for anybody to infer such. It's no secret that I don't much like the high school game as allowed by most of our local refs, though I've seen some good officiating at times. (Kingston's regular season game with CAK, for instance, was a picture of solid officiating so I know there are refs out there who "get it".)

Almost all players will get as rough as they are allowed to, which is not always a good thing. We have far too many injuries that should never happen. There is a difference between physical play and rough play.

I just want them all to finish the high school season happy and healthy. And I want to watch some good soccer at the same time.

update: Hey now that I re-read my post I do see how Hoya could think I was implying a particular team. sorry, my bad. Wasn't thinking along those lines so I missed it. But Hoya, "clean" is "clean" and it may vary in the eyes of the ref but there is supposed to be an absolute standard. We don't see nearly enough yellow cards at this level.

QUOTE(Hoya @ May 16 2007 - 09:00 AM) 826460096[/snapback]I also agree with uniden. This will be the best soccer match in Knoxville on Thursday night even if the KNS gives the big schools top billing, as usual. CAK and Catholic, this year and most recent years, are the soccer equals of Bearden and Farragut and, in my totally biased opinion, the recent matches between the Warriors and the Irish have been more intense than those between our two AAA rivals in West Knoxville.

Come on now. The Bearden/Farragut rivalry has been going on for a very long time and is one of the best rivalries in the state. The CAK/Catholic rivalry really doesnt compare yet. Maybe in the years to come but for right now the Bearden/Farragut legacy is comparable to none. And from watching tons of knoxville high school games over the past decade i would never say that any game is "more intense" than a Bearden/Farragut game.

This is really unfair to have such great games on the pitch at the same time. I agree that the most noted game may be the Farragut /Bearden game but as far as the actual game fever Cak/Catholic will be every bit as intense.

It is a shame there has to be a loser with these 4 great teams.

The true Winner- will be the fan at either one of the games. Both will be good games even if there is a freak blowout!!