CAK/Catholic ... Farragut/Bearden

QUOTE(OnThePitch @ May 16 2007 - 12:05 PM) 826460244[/snapback]This is really unfair to have such great games on the pitch at the same time. I agree that the most noted game may be the Farragut /Bearden game but as far as the actual game fever Cak/Catholic will be every bit as intense.

It is a shame there has to be a loser with these 4 great teams.

The true Winner- will be the fan at either one of the games. Both will be good games even if there is a freak blowout!!

Well said!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(stevescarb @ May 16 2007 - 11:46 AM) 826460232[/snapback]Now don't go all defensive on me, Hoya. The school names are the school names, nothing implied beyond that. I think these are all great teams, and I have to make my predictions based on the games I've seen...Apparently there are some undercurrents and unspoken rivalries that I'm not aware of living out here in the sticks.

I think if you re-read what I posted, I didn't say anybody was "Clean or Not clean" and certainly didn't mean for anybody to infer such. It's no secret that I don't much like the high school game as allowed by most of our local refs, though I've seen some good officiating at times. (Kingston's regular season game with CAK, for instance, was a picture of solid officiating so I know there are refs out there who "get it".)

Almost all players will get as rough as they are allowed to, which is not always a good thing. We have far too many injuries that should never happen. There is a difference between physical play and rough play.

I just want them all to finish the high school season happy and healthy. And I want to watch some good soccer at the same time.

update: Hey now that I re-read my post I do see how Hoya could think I was implying a particular team. sorry, my bad. Wasn't thinking along those lines so I missed it. But Hoya, "clean" is "clean" and it may vary in the eyes of the ref but there is supposed to be an absolute standard. We don't see nearly enough yellow cards at this level.

hey stevescarb. You spotted my annoyance. I'm all better now---as if anyone cared! You and I usually see things pretty much the same and I think we do with respect to keeping the game safe. See you at the game. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(The Tron Special @ May 16 2007 - 11:53 AM) 826460238[/snapback]Come on now. The Bearden/Farragut rivalry has been going on for a very long time and is one of the best rivalries in the state. The CAK/Catholic rivalry really doesnt compare yet. Maybe in the years to come but for right now the Bearden/Farragut legacy is comparable to none. And from watching tons of knoxville high school games over the past decade i would never say that any game is "more intense" than a Bearden/Farragut game.

Bearden v. Farragut is old news. CAK v. Catholic is today's top Knoxville story! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I know, I know....the front page KNS Sports article on Friday will be the AAA game with a near life-sized color picture of some obscure player like Radcliffe or Backstrom. CAK and Catholic will be a blurb on page 6 that might mention the score. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I wonder if the KNS covers Bearden/Farragut more because they are bigger. I mean both schools, by themselves, are larger than Catholic and CAK combined. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, but personally, and nothing against CAK or Catholic, but I would probably cover a Farragut/Bearden game 99 times out of 100. It could also have to do with in the last 4 years Farragut has won state twice and Bearden has won state. I also think since like 2000 or so either Farragut or Bearden has won state every year except twice..? I think not 100%. Plus there are 2 SPRING(i know pseud like to make a big deal about that) national championships. CAK has won state like 4 years in a row now right?, but I think it could be that BOTH Farragut and Bearden usually dominate at state every year instead of just 1 of them. I am not saying CAK and Catholic aren't good at all. They are very good teams. It could also maybe have to do with I think CAK is fairly new so not many people know anything about them, but Farragut and Bearden have been around. I wish the news would just cover every single game so there would be no problems like this, but even if they did that you would run into problems like who gets the cover story. I am no a big fan at all of the KNS. The news stations don't help out either with stories. I think since district tourney I have seen 3 highlights of soccer on tv. Farragut/Bearden, CAK/and someone, and some other one.

honestly in my opinion the newspaper doesn't really matter. ya its nice to be recognized for a win in a big game but its even better to share that joy with your teammates. i could care less if the CAK/Catholic game was in the paper, its gonna be a good game and everyone knows it. we don't need a paper to tell us that

Seriously guys, look at the bigger picture for the Bearden/Farragut game. It is not going to be one where a 100% effort is given by either side. Each coach is aware of the future scenario headed towards state after sub-state.

The winner will have to go on to likely play Houston & Brentwood.

The loser will get the Chattanooga area winner and the central TN loser.

Which area would you rather be? Both coaches have the expectations to win state, the region championship isn't the pinnacle of the season like it is for other teams. The teams will set themselves properly for the state tournament.

Yes, this is a shame this is considered, but these factors are hard to ignore. This is what happens when there is hardly any parody in soccer across the state of TN.

I know some of you will not agree with me and think this taints the game, but I just wanted to point this out so everyone knew the entirety of the situation.

I do hope the Bearden - Farragut goes well and that one of them wins state.

QUOTE(blindfools13 @ May 16 2007 - 01:03 PM) 826460348[/snapback]Seriously guys, look at the bigger picture for the Bearden/Farragut game. It is not going to be one where a 100% effort is given by either side. Each coach is aware of the future scenario headed towards state after sub-state.

If you watch this game tomorrow night, I doubt that you will see either team not caring if they lose. These teams hate to lose... that's why they are where they are. And for you to suggest that these teams don't care about the region championship is a bit ludicrous.

However, if this is the case, it is sad and something should be done to put more emphasis on district and region championships. Just think of how many teams would give whatever it took to be in a region championship or even a district championship. This comment has left a very bitter taste in my mouth, and I really hope this is not the case for any of these teams.

QUOTE(blindfools13 @ May 16 2007 - 03:03 PM) 826460348[/snapback]Seriously guys, look at the bigger picture for the Bearden/Farragut game. It is not going to be one where a 100% effort is given by either side. Each coach is aware of the future scenario headed towards state after sub-state.

The winner will have to go on to likely play Houston & Brentwood.

The loser will get the Chattanooga area winner and the central TN loser.

Which area would you rather be? Both coaches have the expectations to win state, the region championship isn't the pinnacle of the season like it is for other teams. The teams will set themselves properly for the state tournament.

Yes, this is a shame this is considered, but these factors are hard to ignore. This is what happens when there is hardly any parody in soccer across the state of TN.

I know some of you will not agree with me and think this taints the game, but I just wanted to point this out so everyone knew the entirety of the situation.

I do hope the Bearden - Farragut goes well and that one of them wins state.

I agree that the winner gets the harder draw, but are honestly saying that Turner or Culbreth are going to rest players or hold back on their play to rest? Thats ridiculous, first each team has to beat either DB or Science Hill who are both playing extremely well right now. Lets not overlook the saturday game.

Once again, I did state that not everyone would be happy with my comment, but I just wanted to point out the different roads to state that the Region Championship will create.

Remember, it wasn't until 2003 that boths teams advanced past the Region Championship. Before that was when the Region Championship was everything, but then in the 2003 Championship you saw Bearden vs. Farragut in the finals that year since both were able to advance past regionals.

Previously, Bearden had ended Farragut's season the three prior years in the Region Championship.

More emphasis should be put on this game as it used to be, but as usual, someone is pocketing from the 4 extra teams being at the state tournament (once again, look at the big picture).

QUOTE(NedNatterjack @ May 16 2007 - 01:22 PM) 826460356[/snapback]If you watch this game tomorrow night, I doubt that you will see either team not caring if they lose. These teams hate to lose... that's why they are where they are. And for you to suggest that these teams don't care about the region championship is a bit ludicrous.

However, if this is the case, it is sad and something should be done to put more emphasis on district and region championships. Just think of how many teams would give whatever it took to be in a region championship or even a district championship. This comment has left a very bitter taste in my mouth, and I really hope this is not the case for any of these teams.

Well said!