Oakland vs. Coffee Co.

braves4life

QUOTE(DDA @ May 17 2007 - 10:32 AM) 826461101[/snapback]Binns,

A very strange game. The home plate umpire, an older and obviously experienced umpire, did not bring his "A" game. There was a three man crew working the game. With Coffee nursing a 4-3 lead in the bottom of the 6th, Oakland had runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 out and a strike on the batter. The Coffee pitcher faked a throw to third then a throw to first (for the third time in the inning). The home plate umpire called BALK and let the runner score from third. The batter flew out to right to end the inning. The first and third umpires just looked at each other.

In the top of the 7th, Coffee had runners at 1st and 2nd with no out. Batter bunts and the pitcher over throws first base. The runner at second goes to third and attempts to score. The home plate umpire is STANDING IN THE BASELINE between home and third about 5 yards from the plate with his back to third base. The Coffee runner slowed then collided with the umpire. By the time he recovers the ball is at the plate and he is out. Unbelieveable.

No disrespect to Oakland. They are a great team. The Polk homeruns were the difference. Coffee made some aggressive base running mistakes that hurt. Three runners were thrown out at the plate.

Coffee needs to put a positive spin on this game. They took the No. 2 team in the country down to the wire. Oakland needed an odd BALK call to tie it up. Coffee advances to STATE with a win Friday at Bradley Central. This is a gutty bunch of kids--always have been. They will put this behind them and bring their "A" game Friday.

the runner and umpire collided? awe man that is terrible...i bet CC coach wasa little unhappy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DDA @ May 17 2007 - 12:32 PM) 826461101[/snapback]Binns,

A very strange game. The home plate umpire, an older and obviously experienced umpire, did not bring his "A" game. There was a three man crew working the game. With Coffee nursing a 4-3 lead in the bottom of the 6th, Oakland had runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 out and a strike on the batter. The Coffee pitcher faked a throw to third then a throw to first (for the third time in the inning). The home plate umpire called BALK and let the runner score from third. The batter flew out to right to end the inning. The first and third umpires just looked at each other.

In the top of the 7th, Coffee had runners at 1st and 2nd with no out. Batter bunts and the pitcher over throws first base. The runner at second goes to third and attempts to score. The home plate umpire is STANDING IN THE BASELINE between home and third about 5 yards from the plate with his back to third base. The Coffee runner slowed then collided with the umpire. By the time he recovers the ball is at the plate and he is out. Unbelieveable.

No disrespect to Oakland. They are a great team. The Polk homeruns were the difference. Coffee made some aggressive base running mistakes that hurt. Three runners were thrown out at the plate.

Coffee needs to put a positive spin on this game. They took the No. 2 team in the country down to the wire. Oakland needed an odd BALK call to tie it up. Coffee advances to STATE with a win Friday at Bradley Central. This is a gutty bunch of kids--always have been. They will put this behind them and bring their "A" game Friday.

While the base runner and ump colliding is VERY unfortunate, and it should have never happened, thats part off the game. BUT faking to third and then throwing to first IS NOT A BALK. That was a blown call, through and through.

QUOTE(OaklandBasketball @ May 17 2007 - 01:57 PM) 826461219[/snapback]This game is living proof that sometimes it really is better to be lucky than good. I hope to see CC at state, they deserve a better fate than what was given them last night

It would be nice to get there and have a re-match with Oakland...two very good teams.....what the umpire told coach Jones on the balk call was that the pitcher stepped towards the plate and not towards third.....and anyone watching the game knows that didn't happen. But what upsets me the most is that wasn't his call...there were two other umpires in much better position to make that call and neither one of them said a word.....

QUOTE(pedo_29 @ May 17 2007 - 02:09 PM) 826461229[/snapback]It would be nice to get there and have a re-match with Oakland...two very good teams.....what the umpire told coach Jones on the balk call was that the pitcher stepped towards the plate and not towards third.....and anyone watching the game knows that didn't happen. But what upsets me the most is that wasn't his call...there were two other umpires in much better position to make that call and neither one of them said a word.....

It happens to even the best of teams. I think if CC cant bring the same type of energy against BC, they will be making a return trip to Murfreesboro

QUOTE(pedo_29 @ May 17 2007 - 12:09 PM) 826461143[/snapback]No doubt one of the strangest I have ever seen. The balk call was ridiculous and hurt...but not as much as those four RBI's by Polk! Oakland is a good team and managed to get the job done. But I got to say congratulations to the Raiders. Played one heck of a game! If they play like that every game then I wouldn't be suprised to see a Coffee County Oakland re-match in the boro next week!

I was sitting up top last night by one of the head umpires (i'm going to keep his name off the boards) of the either the Middle TN region or maybe the entire state but he said not only did the pitcher balk when the umpire called it, he balked the first time he tried the fake to 3rd/ fake to 1st move. I know this sounds biased but i'm not trying to be i'm just saying what the man said. He said the reason is because the rule states the pitcher has to "gain ground" towards 3rd on any attempt to pick off a runner, whether he throws it or not. Apparently the pitcher must not have gained ground.