Oakland vs. Coffee Co.

braves4life

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(wingman10 @ May 16 2007 - 08:54 PM) 826460644[/snapback]Wow! Congrats to the Pats and congrats to the Red Raiders for hanging with Oakland. What a game.

Coffee Co gave the nations #2 ranked team, Oakland, a scare tonite in Mufreesboro. The Red Raiders had a 4-3 lead going into the bottom of the 6th and the Patriots tied the score on a balk call. Coffee Co had two runners thrown out at the plate in the top half of the 7th and Oakland hits a walk-of HR in the bottom of the 7th to win 5-4. Coffee Co will travel to Bradley Central Friday nite, one win away from going to the State Tourney. Congrats to Oakland and good luck to both teams Friday.

Let me say first that the Raiders are a HECK of a team with some RABID die-hard fans. They gave Oakland ALL they wanted and more. In fact, I think it was a very good thing for Oakland to get down in this game. It is a feeling they haven't had in a long time. They needed to feel one slipping away and the ramifications of what that would mean.They needed this. Some of the other games have been too easy, and the road to the state is NOT going to be easy. Everyone wants to be the ones to knock off the #1 team in the state. I was waiting to see how they were going to react. Would they fold? Would they start fighting within? Would they give up? The answer........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It never ceases to amaze me about this TEAM. Someone always seems to STEP up at just the right time and LEAD this team. Once that happens, the rest of the TEAM buys in and it is just magical. That is the only word I can think of to describe it. MAGICAL. I have seen several games this season.....and it is never just about the same one player over and over being the spark. But I will tell you....someone ALWAYS delivers and keeps the ball rolling. The ENERGY out there makes you want to stand up and cheer for this group even if they aren't your team. I talked to several CC fans and the respect that they have for this team at OHS made me beam with pride even though I have nothing to do with their success. It is ALL them. Tonight was my boy PJ POLKkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk's night to step it up and seal the deal. His bat speaks for itself......it also tells the tale as to why he has signed with UT. The kid is a PLAYER and one of the best kids that you will ever know in your life. I have never met a soul that didn't love that kid. He exudes personality.

Great job Oakland for encouraging each other.....not getting down.....and coming back to take the W. You make the Boro so so proud! I would NEVER have heard the last of it from RED if you hadn't. WHEWWWWWWWWWWW....thanks guys. Good luck to the Raiders at Bradley.

QUOTE(Cowboys Up @ May 16 2007 - 08:50 PM) 826460760[/snapback]Would like to see Oakland go all the way and win it!!

Get some rings, Patriots!

Would like to add my congratulations to Coffee Co. for playing tough, also...and good luck to you the rest of the tourney.

it's funny how Oakland is probably the favorite to win it all Riverdale Softball has a good chance to win it all and Blacmkman will make some noise in soccer seems to be a special year for Rutherford CO. sports not to mention Smyrna football and Riverdale girls basketball

QUOTE(icecold06 @ May 17 2007 - 09:20 AM) 826461058[/snapback]it's funny how Oakland is probably the favorite to win it all Riverdale Softball has a good chance to win it all and Blacmkman will make some noise in soccer seems to be a special year for Rutherford CO. sports not to mention Smyrna football and Riverdale girls basketball

last year was more special Riverdale alone had softball baseball soccer and track softball got beat in substate but all of our other spring sports won district and made noise in the state tournament..hopefully our softball team can win state and that will be 2 championships at RIVERDALE THIS YEAR AND NEITHER ONE WOULD BE FOOTBALL

QUOTE(binns37388 @ May 16 2007 - 09:07 PM) 826460668[/snapback]Coffee Co gave the nations #2 ranked team, Oakland, a scare tonite in Mufreesboro. The Red Raiders had a 4-3 lead going into the bottom of the 6th and the Patriots tied the score on a balk call. Coffee Co had two runners thrown out at the plate in the top half of the 7th and Oakland hits a walk-of HR in the bottom of the 7th to win 5-4. Coffee Co will travel to Bradley Central Friday nite, one win away from going to the State Tourney. Congrats to Oakland and good luck to both teams Friday.

Binns,

A very strange game. The home plate umpire, an older and obviously experienced umpire, did not bring his "A" game. There was a three man crew working the game. With Coffee nursing a 4-3 lead in the bottom of the 6th, Oakland had runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 out and a strike on the batter. The Coffee pitcher faked a throw to third then a throw to first (for the third time in the inning). The home plate umpire called BALK and let the runner score from third. The batter flew out to right to end the inning. The first and third umpires just looked at each other.

In the top of the 7th, Coffee had runners at 1st and 2nd with no out. Batter bunts and the pitcher over throws first base. The runner at second goes to third and attempts to score. The home plate umpire is STANDING IN THE BASELINE between home and third about 5 yards from the plate with his back to third base. The Coffee runner slowed then collided with the umpire. By the time he recovers the ball is at the plate and he is out. Unbelieveable.

No disrespect to Oakland. They are a great team. The Polk homeruns were the difference. Coffee made some aggressive base running mistakes that hurt. Three runners were thrown out at the plate.

Coffee needs to put a positive spin on this game. They took the No. 2 team in the country down to the wire. Oakland needed an odd BALK call to tie it up. Coffee advances to STATE with a win Friday at Bradley Central. This is a gutty bunch of kids--always have been. They will put this behind them and bring their "A" game Friday.

QUOTE(Rukidnme @ May 17 2007 - 11:54 AM) 826461115[/snapback]It was definitely a strange final two innings.

No doubt one of the strangest I have ever seen. The balk call was ridiculous and hurt...but not as much as those four RBI's by Polk! Oakland is a good team and managed to get the job done. But I got to say congratulations to the Raiders. Played one heck of a game! If they play like that every game then I wouldn't be suprised to see a Coffee County Oakland re-match in the boro next week!