CCS VS PORTLAND

CCSMAN

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(timbdp @ May 19 2007 - 09:28 PM) 826463081[/snapback]any details?

The game was largely controlled by CCS, as was expected. Portland's midfield allowed them to survive as long as they did by creating a lot of CCS turnovers and thwarting what could have been dangerous attacks. The first half ended scoreless, as CCS had the majority of scoring chances, though I think Portland had the best chance on a cross that bounced high in the box that needed just a bit more oomph to get over the charging CCS keeper. The Chragers came out strong in the second half and played desparately to get the first goal, which is why I feel it took them so long to get it. When they finally settled down and started stringing some combinations together, they became much more dangerous. They got their first goal midway through the second half on a nice overlapping run through the top of the box. CCS continued to apply pressure, but Portland finally broke for their best scoring opportunity. This, however, was thwarted by the only mistake I think the ref made the whole game. The Portland striker overran the ball and ended up trapping it with his rear, which set the ball up nicely for him to pull a shot that went upper 90 side net, much like the goal he scored at Station Camp. However, the ref called a handball, negating the goal. The reason I thought this was an unfortunate call (though I have heard CCS players and fans say that it was not a handball in their opinion) is because the ref was not looking at the play. He was following two players who were in a little scuffle and making sure there was no extracurricular activity. I guess he saw the ball change direction quickly out of the corner of his eye and assumed what had happened, though the linesman never raised his flag either. I want to make it clear that I do not think that this affected the outcome of the game, simply because CCS had been applying constant pressure and would have probably gotten on the board again. I was just disappointed that Portland had that opportunity taken away, not by a bad call, simply more of a mistake call. CCS continued to attack, though they played more long ball as the game closed out and their last goal came off of a rebound in stoppage time.

CCS was the better team and deserves the outcome. Portland did not have as many finishing opportunities as CCS, but they did have enough good opportunities to at least control their destiny in this game. Unfortunately, they didn't have it turn out in their favor. As a Portland fan, I am at least proud to say that this legitimizes all the praise this year's team has gotten and that they were very capable of competing with the best teams in the state. Good luck to CCS in state and congratulations Portland on an outstanding season.

QUOTE(smittygk00 @ May 19 2007 - 11:45 PM) 826463237[/snapback]The game was largely controlled by CCS, as was expected. Portland's midfield allowed them to survive as long as they did by creating a lot of CCS turnovers and thwarting what could have been dangerous attacks. The first half ended scoreless, as CCS had the majority of scoring chances, though I think Portland had the best chance on a cross that bounced high in the box that needed just a bit more oomph to get over the charging CCS keeper. The Chragers came out strong in the second half and played desparately to get the first goal, which is why I feel it took them so long to get it. When they finally settled down and started stringing some combinations together, they became much more dangerous. They got their first goal midway through the second half on a nice overlapping run through the top of the box. CCS continued to apply pressure, but Portland finally broke for their best scoring opportunity. This, however, was thwarted by the only mistake I think the ref made the whole game. The Portland striker overran the ball and ended up trapping it with his rear, which set the ball up nicely for him to pull a shot that went upper 90 side net, much like the goal he scored at Station Camp. However, the ref called a handball, negating the goal. The reason I thought this was an unfortunate call (though I have heard CCS players and fans say that it was not a handball in their opinion) is because the ref was not looking at the play. He was following two players who were in a little scuffle and making sure there was no extracurricular activity. I guess he saw the ball change direction quickly out of the corner of his eye and assumed what had happened, though the linesman never raised his flag either. I want to make it clear that I do not think that this affected the outcome of the game, simply because CCS had been applying constant pressure and would have probably gotten on the board again. I was just disappointed that Portland had that opportunity taken away, not by a bad call, simply more of a mistake call. CCS continued to attack, though they played more long ball as the game closed out and their last goal came off of a rebound in stoppage time.

CCS was the better team and deserves the outcome. Portland did not have as many finishing opportunities as CCS, but they did have enough good opportunities to at least control their destiny in this game. Unfortunately, they didn't have it turn out in their favor. As a Portland fan, I am at least proud to say that this legitimizes all the praise this year's team has gotten and that they were very capable of competing with the best teams in the state. Good luck to CCS in state and congratulations Portland on an outstanding season.

Yeah Chattanooga Ref's make me wonder