TSSAA Umpires @ State Tournament

nob4upost

QUOTE(tigerman @ May 24 2007 - 06:56 PM) 826466276[/snapback]Are you calling coaches ignorant & unqualified ?

I've heard more than one this year question the CONSISTENCY

of umpires, especially on balls and strikes.

I don't believe for one minute an umpire picks one team &

favors them over the other with his calls. I would never suggest

that. I've seen them hurt both teams that were playing.

And I get sick of this mentality of if you don't like the way we're

calling, go pick up an application and join us. I don't care to

thank you very much.But if I did, you can be darn sure I would

bust my rear end to the best umpire I could be. And if I saw

I wasn't getting it done ( and trust me, when coaches, players and

fans from both sides are upset, you ain't getting it done), I'd be

smart enough to step aside.

Thank God you will not join us. Because if you think one side will not get mad even when you get it right. Man , WAKE UP. Please stay in the cheap seat, Thats where you belong. Ley the real guys call the game.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hb313 @ May 24 2007 - 11:25 AM) 826466001[/snapback]I totally agree, alot of the games seem to be one team against the other plus the umps. I don't think that it is the ump showing favorites, the problem is just the inconsistency of it all. If two umps call different then that is one thing, kids can adapt to each one but when you never know if the same pitch is going to be a ball or a strike then there is just nothing for them to do at the plate. I also saw several plays on the field that were botched just because there wasn't anyone there to actually see the play even though there were three officials on the field.

One bad call is one thing, and a bad call is fine as long as the next time it is called the same way...

I AIN'T GONNA NEVER DISPUTE BALLS AND STRIKES....BUT MAKEUP CALLS ON THE BASES GET ME RILLED UP.....IF YOU MISS A CALL THEN YOU JUST MISSED A CALL......TO THEN GO AND GIVE A MAKE UP CALL IS MORONIC.....THE GUY ON FIRST IN THE LAST FC vs HUNTINGDON GAME IS SUCH.......MAYBE THE WORST I'VE EVER SEEN AT THIS LEVEL /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(catsbackr @ May 25 2007 - 07:23 AM) 826466724[/snapback]I think we should get volunteer umpires, one from each team, from the stands. Use this method all the way through the State tournament. What do ya'll think?

Why are you not going to pay them ?

And give them a cold hot dog after the game.

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ May 24 2007 - 05:54 PM) 826466242[/snapback]E5 you have critque me on a few calls i think your favorite one is a check swing you know the one if he hit it..it would have been a ground rule double and the bat never left his shoulder...or when you want to hit a kid beacsue someone jsut squeezed on you up 8-1 and instead of hitting the kid he throws strikes!!!! so i will truley trust whatever observations you make of me LOL

I am not one to tell somone to ump a game if they dont like it that is not my style im afraid he would grab my mask and do a better job LOL

what i will tell you is that UMPIRES REALLY DONT CARE WHO WINS THE GAME...WE WANT STRIKES AND OUTS THAT IS THE ONLY WAY WE GET A GAME DONE and we do not cheat a kid we may miss it but we wont cheat them

I also want to point balls and strikes if a pitcher is throwing strikes and is all around the plate he will get calls if you have a guy that is throwing the ball everywhere and then throw a close pitch in there it is probalby going to be a ball because you havent got the umpire in a groove youve got him looking all over the place for the pitch because that is where they are coming

as far as camp you are suppose to go 1 every 3 years and you have to attend meetings with your local assosication 3 times a year and take a test the assigner usually RECOMMENDS umpires to do state and some TSSAA officials will observe one or two games

You folks need to pay attention to what R'dale man says..I agree that MOST umps try their hardest to do the job right and fair. Sometimes, we all have a bad night. I f you guys never have a bad night at what you do , then by gosh please tell us the secret to being PERFGECT!..An ump is going to get yelled at either way ..But, I do NOT think for one instant that ANY umpire goes on the field to "help or hurt" ANY team. It probably seems that way because one of the teams seem to have all the calls going against them..Hey, you know what happens sometimes>>

R'man...I am thinkng about proposing to the TSSAA that the umpires change their positions for working the games. Tell me what you think..I think the plate man should work the dish from either the right or left field line about 10-15 yards out past the dugout ( in lawn chair with a tall cool one to drink) or from the right or left side of the bleachers, way up high so he can see the corners(especially after a nice cold one or two) ..Heck, the base ump is evidently useless anyway since all he does is blow very important call and then try to make them up..He is also the sole responsible person for the defensive players that cannot seem to catch a slow roller that is hit straight to them or the moon shot over the wall because the next Tommy John left it hanging out over the plate. Maybe the plate guy should go to the dugouts before the game with a chart to show the pitchers what is and is not going to be a strike tonite!! I dont know if these are good ideas or not, but from what I have experienced and have heard from a lot of people on the T , they may not be too bad after all..

One more small thought...And quite possibly the best of all...Maybe we should get all our wives or girlfriends to umpire the games..Think about it , they are ALWAYS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!( pun definitely intended)

Keep up the good work blue!!!

QUOTE(CUBCADET @ May 25 2007 - 08:17 AM) 826466760[/snapback]You folks need to pay attention to what R'dale man says..I agree that MOST umps try their hardest to do the job right and fair. Sometimes, we all have a bad night. I f you guys never have a bad night at what you do , then by gosh please tell us the secret to being PERFGECT!..An ump is going to get yelled at either way ..But, I do NOT think for one instant that ANY umpire goes on the field to "help or hurt" ANY team. It probably seems that way because one of the teams seem to have all the calls going against them..Hey, you know what happens sometimes>>

R'man...I am thinkng about proposing to the TSSAA that the umpires change their positions for working the games. Tell me what you think..I think the plate man should work the dish from either the right or left field line about 10-15 yards out past the dugout ( in lawn chair with a tall cool one to drink) or from the right or left side of the bleachers, way up high so he can see the corners(especially after a nice cold one or two) ..Heck, the base ump is evidently useless anyway since all he does is blow very important call and then try to make them up..He is also the sole responsible person for the defensive players that cannot seem to catch a slow roller that is hit straight to them or the moon shot over the wall because the next Tommy John left it hanging out over the plate. Maybe the plate guy should go to the dugouts before the game with a chart to show the pitchers what is and is not going to be a strike tonite!! I dont know if these are good ideas or not, but from what I have experienced and have heard from a lot of people on the T , they may not be too bad after all..

One more small thought...And quite possibly the best of all...Maybe we should get all our wives or girlfriends to umpire the games..Think about it , they are ALWAYS RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!( pun definitely intended)

Keep up the good work blue!!!

R'daleman,

You finally made some good points. We NEVER have instructed our pitchers to hit anyone. We did set up inside on the game in question. The call you blow EVERY game we have you is the ball that bounces down the middle of the plate or is right down the middle of the opposite batter's box.

I will agree that the right hand is the umpire's best friend. I have coached for 22 and umpired for 10 years, including college baseball, and have only seen one game where I felt an umpire was a "homer." I agree that no ump comes to the game to root for one team or call for one team. We are fortunate to have a large group of umpires who work at their craft in the Boro. They, like coaches, make mistakes but I have no issue with the mistakes as long as they are working.

Now as far as letting the guy in the lawn chair call the game...just give me a bucket, I have never missed a call from my dugout or either coaches boxes. Now I have blown several games from those two places as a coach.

R'daleman, there would be no fun in my life if I could not badger you on this forum.

E5

QUOTE(E5 @ May 25 2007 - 11:11 AM) 826466849[/snapback]R'daleman,

You finally made some good points. We NEVER have instructed our pitchers to hit anyone. We did set up inside on the game in question. The call you blow EVERY game we have you is the ball that bounces down the middle of the plate or is right down the middle of the opposite batter's box.

I will agree that the right hand is the umpire's best friend. I have coached for 22 and umpired for 10 years, including college baseball, and have only seen one game where I felt an umpire was a "homer." I agree that no ump comes to the game to root for one team or call for one team. We are fortunate to have a large group of umpires who work at their craft in the Boro. They, like coaches, make mistakes but I have no issue with the mistakes as long as they are working.

Now as far as letting the guy in the lawn chair call the game...just give me a bucket, I have never missed a call from my dugout or either coaches boxes. Now I have blown several games from those two places as a coach.

R'daleman, there would be no fun in my life if I could not badger you on this forum.

E5

Question for E5

When your team is not playing and you go to "scout" the competition do you carry a sling type lawn chair, a simple bleacher pad without a back... a bleacher chair with a back (no legs just sits up on the bleacher and can be converted into a rocker if you don't flip the little metal clip/hook down on the bleacher....heck sit it on the top and don't hook it and it could become a rocker launcher!!!)

Or do you just take your bucket???

I am thinking about getting a bucket too but a 5 gallon one might be too tall.... of course with a bucket I could bring in all my stuff in the bucket including a little roudn throw pillow to put on the bottom for a cushion when I flip it into the seating position!

If I do this should I have a walmart bag to hold all my stuff that I toted to the field inside the bucket or just dump my stuff out on the ground??

I know these are some tough questions but I really need some help making a decision on the best chair/bucket.

I am 5'3" so I suspect that I will face the same leg problem you have...but I am thinking I could add a brick to my bucket and use that to put my feet on when I flip the bucket over????

What think ye?

you know i love ya E5 i appreciate your hard work yeah ...whatever LOL...

cubcadet i dont get so worked up about the ones behind the fence yelling what they think as i know if i missed that pitch or not and if there is a lot of yelling i will ask my partner if i am looking ok back there and if he says yeah your good i dont worry about it and if he says well you have missed a few then i...well...havent had that happen lol as far as the feild ump that is the advantae of angles if you missed it you know you missed and if you got it YOU KNOW YOU GOT IT if it is close and you make the call and you are in position rather if you missed it or not most coaches wont say much because they know where we are suppose to be if you are in position they may not like it but they will RESPECT the call and your judgement if you are out of position or not hustling then he has every right to be mad ...BUT i dont worry about the fans too much. nor do i challenge them to do my job because if they are good i could be out of a job LOL

DBMOM i know E5 will give you sond advice he is not much taller than you LOL

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ May 25 2007 - 12:57 PM) 826466969[/snapback]Question for E5

When your team is not playing and you go to "scout" the competition do you carry a sling type lawn chair, a simple bleacher pad without a back... a bleacher chair with a back (no legs just sits up on the bleacher and can be converted into a rocker if you don't flip the little metal clip/hook down on the bleacher....heck sit it on the top and don't hook it and it could become a rocker launcher!!!)

Or do you just take your bucket???

I am thinking about getting a bucket too but a 5 gallon one might be too tall.... of course with a bucket I could bring in all my stuff in the bucket including a little roudn throw pillow to put on the bottom for a cushion when I flip it into the seating position!

If I do this should I have a walmart bag to hold all my stuff that I toted to the field inside the bucket or just dump my stuff out on the ground??

I know these are some tough questions but I really need some help making a decision on the best chair/bucket.

I am 5'3" so I suspect that I will face the same leg problem you have...but I am thinking I could add a brick to my bucket and use that to put my feet on when I flip the bucket over????

What think ye?

Mom,

Please don't take anything R'daleman says about me to be true. His seeing eye dog is telling him lies about me.

I use the Riddell brand bucket to sit on when coaching because it is much shorter than both the Wilson and Diamond brand. When using a "lawn" type chair, it does not matter. The styles that are short enough for my legs not to fall asleep in are not near wide enough and vice versa. So I make sure I can scout near a fence so I can put my feet up. Never be a bush leaguer and carry you scouting items in a Wal-Mark sack, get a proper satchel. You know to cut off the cord of a broken down hair dryer and put a Juggs sticker on it to look important. Leave the bricks at home! theone kicked one once and plum near broked his foot.

Hope this helps.

E5

R'daleman, who is Warrior Baseball 13U from the Boro?

QUOTE(E5 @ May 25 2007 - 01:17 PM) 826467029[/snapback]Mom,

Please don't take anything R'daleman says about me to be true. His seeing eye dog is telling him lies about me.

I use the Riddell brand bucket to sit on when coaching because it is much shorter than both the Wilson and Diamond brand. When using a "lawn" type chair, it does not matter. The styles that are short enough for my legs not to fall asleep in are not near wide enough and vice versa. So I make sure I can scout near a fence so I can put my feet up. Never be a bush leaguer and carry you scouting items in a Wal-Mark sack, get a proper satchel. You know to cut off the cord of a broken down hair dryer and put a Juggs sticker on it to look important. Leave the bricks at home! theone kicked one once and plum near broked his foot.

Hope this helps.

E5

R'daleman, who is Warrior Baseball 13U from the Boro?

E5 is that someones ID on coachT if so i havent seen any of their post but if you tell me whre they have posted i will see if i can figure it out or find out after are they are a part of the farm team LOL

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ May 25 2007 - 02:27 PM) 826467034[/snapback]E5 is that someones ID on coachT if so i havent seen any of their post but if you tell me whre they have posted i will see if i can figure it out or find out after are they are a part of the farm team LOL

No, they are in the same tournament our 13's are in and I did not know if they were Christiana's returning players.

QUOTE(tigerman @ May 24 2007 - 06:56 PM) 826466276[/snapback]Are you calling coaches ignorant & unqualified ?

I've heard more than one this year question the CONSISTENCY

of umpires, especially on balls and strikes.

I don't believe for one minute an umpire picks one team &

favors them over the other with his calls. I would never suggest

that. I've seen them hurt both teams that were playing.

And I get sick of this mentality of if you don't like the way we're

calling, go pick up an application and join us. I don't care to

thank you very much.But if I did, you can be darn sure I would

bust my rear end to the best umpire I could be. And if I saw

I wasn't getting it done ( and trust me, when coaches, players and

fans from both sides are upset, you ain't getting it done), I'd be

smart enough to step aside.

yeah those coaches have the best view in the house on balls and strikes..........and they are so impartial in their judgement................give me a break

my point is there are plenty of folks who like you can tell an ump how to do their job but either have never done it or couldn't take the heat when they did..............

i am not nor have i ever been a tssaa ump but i have seen their work and i think for the most part they do an admirable job...........

one thing umpiring is not about is "pleasing the fans, coaches or players"......

what i get sick of is every year on the T there is at least one thread that talks about how horrible the umpiring is this year and that is really uncalled for...................of course that is my opinion and i will stand on it..........just as you have yours