Multiplier Fails

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(crazzyness @ May 24 2007 - 10:25 PM) 826466516[/snapback]Well the 1.8 multiplier didnt work... instead of keepin the privates from running 1A, now we have an all private championship in 1A AND 2A.... Oh well....

Was that the point? That no privates be allowed to progress deep into the playoffs and possibly to a state championship? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

QUOTE(tnsddeveloper @ May 24 2007 - 10:42 PM) 826466542[/snapback]Was that the point? That no privates be allowed to progress deep into the playoffs and possibly to a state championship? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I think the point is that the private schools should have a seperate division to compete for championships against other private schools. Both finalists in 1A and 2A baseball are private schools. Thats four out of four teams. Two out of three teams left in 1A softball are privates(multiplier worked real well /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ), and the favorite to win 2A in softball is a private. So we will likely end up with private schools winning all four championships in 1A and 2A. Let me emphasize that this does not mean that the private schools have done anything wrong. All of them left are fine schools with great kids and quality reputations. However, it is obvious they have some distinct advantages in Spring sports over the rural schools. If everybody is fine with that then great, expect the championships in the lower classes to continue for the privates. But please don't give us the just work harder or find better coaches garbage.

QUOTE(tnfisher @ May 25 2007 - 06:34 AM) 826466730[/snapback]I think the point is that the private schools should have a seperate division to compete for championships against other private schools. Both finalists in 1A and 2A baseball are private schools. Thats four out of four teams. Two out of three teams left in 1A softball are privates(multiplier worked real well /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ), and the favorite to win 2A in softball is a private. So we will likely end up with private schools winning all four championships in 1A and 2A. Let me emphasize that this does not mean that the private schools have done anything wrong. All of them left are fine schools with great kids and quality reputations. However, it is obvious they have some distinct advantages in Spring sports over the rural schools. If everybody is fine with that then great, expect the championships in the lower classes to continue for the privates. But please don't give us the just work harder or find better coaches garbage.

Its not thier fault all the kids parents are loaded and can have the best of everything and then go to a private schools were they have distinct advantages over the other teams they face. And it is not just from hard work in soccer CAK and Catholic(I use them because I am form East TN) are in the top 4 teams in the knoxville area right with Bearden and Farragut, both of which are public schools but AAA. The thing is the only thing that matters is football and if it works for football than all else is fine it doesn't matter that a school can have kids that have played the same amount of soccer, what matters is the experience of the teams. The four teams I have mentioned above are good enough to beat most small private colleges, but they don't have to play the best teams in the state to win state and when you are that good you should have to compete against the best. If I was CAK i wouldn't do anything either I would take all the state titles in stride but he knows in the back of his Christian heart that I make a valid point.

QUOTE(tnfisher @ May 25 2007 - 08:34 AM) 826466730[/snapback]I think the point is that the private schools should have a seperate division to compete for championships against other private schools. Both finalists in 1A and 2A baseball are private schools. Thats four out of four teams. Two out of three teams left in 1A softball are privates(multiplier worked real well /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ), and the favorite to win 2A in softball is a private. So we will likely end up with private schools winning all four championships in 1A and 2A. Let me emphasize that this does not mean that the private schools have done anything wrong. All of them left are fine schools with great kids and quality reputations. However, it is obvious they have some distinct advantages in Spring sports over the rural schools. If everybody is fine with that then great, expect the championships in the lower classes to continue for the privates. But please don't give us the just work harder or find better coaches garbage.

Question: Since the multiplier was initiated how many all public finals have occurred in 1-3a in Football? 5 out of six if I count correctly. So looking at Softball/Baseball for 1 year only is probably not valid.

Comment: The fact that the multiplier seems to be working for some sports and not for others simply shows what I have been saying all along...there is no such thing as a level playing field, and being public or private has 0 to do with it. Public schools dominate in some sports some years, privates in others in other years. Let's just all play and enjoy the wins, losses, and the whole process.

Let me ask a couple of questions:

1. Back in the 60's, 70's, 80's and part of the 90's the TSSAA had no D1 & D2 and only had two or three classifications for the most part. Why did the private schools not dominate during those years? I understand that many of the small private schools were established in the late 60's & early 70's.

2. What are we teaching our youth if we don't compete against the private or public schools?

3. Could you take the good private school coaching staffs and place them in a rual public school and would they be successful? Why would they be successful or why would they not be successful?

QUOTE(cbg @ May 25 2007 - 08:26 AM) 826466768[/snapback]Let me ask a couple of questions:

1. Back in the 60's, 70's, 80's and part of the 90's the TSSAA had no D1 & D2 and only had two or three classifications for the most part. Why did the private schools not dominate during those years? I understand that many of the small private schools were established in the late 60's & early 70's.

My thoughts exactly. What has the privates done in the last 15 years to become powerhouses if 1A sports? My guess it was just the baby boom of great athletes for all the wealthy families that send their kids to private schools in Tennessee.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 25 2007 - 08:39 AM) 826466780[/snapback]My thoughts exactly. What has the privates done in the last 15 years to become powerhouses if 1A sports? My guess it was just the baby boom of great athletes for all the wealthy families that send their kids to private schools in Tennessee.

Yes, it could be that a large group of athletes are were born to wealthy families but neither one of us feel that is true. Please MPHS answer all of the questons with honest answers or just ignore the post and move onto something else.

QUOTE(cbg @ May 25 2007 - 09:12 AM) 826466805[/snapback]Yes, it could be that a large group of athletes are were born to wealthy families but neither one of us feel that is true. Please MPHS answer all of the questons with honest answers or just ignore the post and move onto something else.

I didnt mean for that to be to sarcastic, but privates could have only become a powerhouse (not just good teams) from either one or two ways. 1) The athletes these parents produce that sends their kids to private schools is amazing, or privates went out to find athletes to make their program stronger and to help the enrollment grow so the institution could become more wealthy.

As far as the other questions go, I dont think the private school coaches could do any better than the public coaches at a public school. Funds are limited, a private school coach who transfers to a public school will have to teach more and put more time into classwork and less time into "football"

Finally there is nothing wrong with telling a kid that there is distinct advantges that privates have over publics in sports especially football. When my kid reads the paper and sees FCS vs. JCS in the baseball championship and then says"werent those the same two teams that played in the football championship" he then on his own can start to figure out whats going on. Wether it is illegal or not there is an advantage and the kids should know it. We are teaching are kids absolutly nothing wrong when there is a clear difference in publics and privates.