Age to throw curveball

Frayser1974

QUOTE(BackinTN @ May 31 2007 - 09:40 AM) 826469559[/snapback]A lot of kids do make a living off of it. Most high school kids that are playing in the fling in the boro have gone through puberty, lol. Not too many 12-13 yr olds playing in the state tourny. Kids that throw in the 80's have make a living off of curve balls, because their fastball isnt good enough to be a set up for a change up. Most of the pitching in high school is upper 70 lower 80's range. There are always kids around that throw harder, but they are definitely not as common, and those kids can rely on a good fastball as their main pitch. This topic is about when to start throwiing a curve, not about physically matured kids who are already throwing it.

You are absolutely right in saying that there aren't many in the "Fling" that haven't reached puberty (12-13 y/o). BUT, IMO the upper 70- low 80's pitcher that is able to locate his fastball can still maintain without throwing 60-70% hooks.Also I know what started the thread, but the quote I responded to made no mention of age, & more than one thread on this forum has drifted to voice an opinion.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(73choctawqb @ May 31 2007 - 10:10 AM) 826469572[/snapback]You are absolutely right in saying that there aren't many in the "Fling" that haven't reached puberty (12-13 y/o). BUT, IMO the upper 70- low 80's pitcher that is able to locate his fastball can still maintain without throwing 60-70% hooks.Also I know what started the thread, but the quote I responded to made no mention of age, & more than one thread on this forum has drifted to voice an opinion.

Didnt mean to step on your toes 73. I think we are saying the same things. I must have misunderstood you. There are way too many curve balls being thrown...and that is typical of kids who don't have great control. Keep throwing something different and maybe something will work, lol...seems to be the theory of some pitch callers these days. You are right, a kid that can locate his fastball shouldnt need to throw too many curves. Its usually from lack of confidence in a kid in a big game by the coach. They believe that you don't usually give up the big hit against a curve like you do a fastball, and at the the high school level, there may be something to that. But anyone with experience knows better.

QUOTE(73choctawqb @ May 31 2007 - 09:31 AM) 826469555[/snapback]Sure saw a lot of curve balls in & around the "Boro" this year for kids NOT to be livin off of it !

Don't start popin off with the mouth choctaw. I didn't say it wasn't a good pitch to throw. I said it wasn't needed as much as people are throwing it. Curveballs in high school are more successful due to hitters not being as disciplined as college hitters. Curveballs at the college level get hit a heck of a lot harder. Now in saying that, there are some guys who throw outstanding curveballs that are hard to hit. Most pitchers don't throw that OUTSTANDING curveball.

My 11 year old son is playing on a travel team. He is a pitcher. His coaches keep calling curve balls and he has begun to shake them off. He told them he was not comfortable throwing the pitch. He has a good fast ball and change up. Now the coaches stand in the dugout and make comments about how he does his own thing and won't throw the curve ball.

Should he throw the curve when the coaches want him to throw it or continue to tell them he is not going to throw it?

He was told by his pitching instructor (an ex major league player) that he should not be throwing the curve ball.

We are seeing a lot of 11 year old teams that have pitchers throwing tons of curve balls and it is effective.

I have been struggling with this all season. I think the coaches want the wins now and aren't thinking about the future of the boys.

This is a very interesting topic. Here is the problem, it is so hard for a 13 year old kid to develop proper mechanics to throw a curve ball. I would argue the more dominent pitchers at 13 are the ones who can throw the ball the hardest anyways not the ones who can make it move a little. A change up is one obvious solution to the problem.

But here would be my solution to the problem: A knuckle-curve. I threw it when I was younger and it was a very effective pitch. It is very easy to learn and didnt cause any arm problems. I was just taught the grip by my 11 yr old baseball coach (who was once a AAA pitcher) and then he told me to throw it like a football. That was that. Practiced it alittle and had a very effective slower pitch that had movement.

QUOTE(Hitter @ May 31 2007 - 11:13 AM) 826469595[/snapback]My 11 year old son is playing on a travel team. He is a pitcher. His coaches keep calling curve balls and he has begun to shake them off. He told them he was not comfortable throwing the pitch. He has a good fast ball and change up. Now the coaches stand in the dugout and make comments about how he does his own thing and won't throw the curve ball.

Should he throw the curve when the coaches want him to throw it or continue to tell them he is not going to throw it?

He was told by his pitching instructor (an ex major league player) that he should not be throwing the curve ball.

We are seeing a lot of 11 year old teams that have pitchers throwing tons of curve balls and it is effective.

I have been struggling with this all season. I think the coaches want the wins now and aren't thinking about the future of the boys.

You are his father. He is only 11. You might want to tell the coaches that you dont want him throwing curves. That way, they will know that its not your son doing his own thing on the mound, but a son doing what his father wants. If they dont want to hear that, then they are in coaching for their own purposes and not for the kids. They are not protecting your sons future career, and are only concerned about wins right now.

A change up is a more effective and deceptive pitch anyway. A good coach knows how to use a fastball to set up the change and vice versa, especially if he has a good fastball as you say.

A curve is dangerous for an 11 year old arm.

QUOTE(Hitter @ May 31 2007 - 10:13 AM) 826469595[/snapback]My 11 year old son is playing on a travel team. He is a pitcher. His coaches keep calling curve balls and he has begun to shake them off. He told them he was not comfortable throwing the pitch. He has a good fast ball and change up. Now the coaches stand in the dugout and make comments about how he does his own thing and won't throw the curve ball.

I would pull the coaches off to the side and say look my son is NOT going to pitch a curve ball right now he is too young the curve at his age causes arm problems and i dont want my sons arm hurting over an 11 year old game that he isnt going to care about in a year or 2. and then i would tell them fastball and changeup only. Most coaches will be like ok we understand dont get in shouting match just talk to them and be away from the kids. That is how i handled it anyway and they didnt try and pitch the curve anymore (after that before each season i told the coaches up front i will add my son didnt pitch much at 11 and 12 years old pitched a little at 13 and as freshman he was one of the best pitchers on the team)

QUOTE(BackinTN @ May 31 2007 - 11:26 AM) 826469600[/snapback]You are his father. He is only 11. You might want to tell the coaches that you dont want him throwing curves. That way, they will know that its not your son doing his own thing on the mound, but a son doing what his father wants. If they dont want to hear that, then they are in coaching for their own purposes and not for the kids. They are not protecting your sons future career, and are only concerned about wins right now.

A change up is a more effective and deceptive pitch anyway. A good coach knows how to use a fastball to set up the change and vice versa, especially if he has a good fastball as you say.

A curve is dangerous for an 11 year old arm.

I am a single mom trying to let my son play competitive baseball. I was proud of my son when he shook off the pitch and called the coach to the mound. If the coaches want to sit in the dugout and make comments then he is more of a man then they are.

QUOTE(Hitter @ May 31 2007 - 11:13 AM) 826469595[/snapback]My 11 year old son is playing on a travel team. He is a pitcher. His coaches keep calling curve balls and he has begun to shake them off. He told them he was not comfortable throwing the pitch. He has a good fast ball and change up. Now the coaches stand in the dugout and make comments about how he does his own thing and won't throw the curve ball.

The reason the curveball is effective now is because 11 year old hitters have no discipline when it comes to hitting. Save your son the pain and agony of arm trouble on down the road. If they don't let him pitch him then who cares. And I might be looking for another team to put my son on due to the fact that his coaches obviously have no background in this game if they are asking your son to throw so many curveballs at such a young age.

QUOTE(davidlimbaugh @ May 30 2007 - 10:27 PM) 826469384[/snapback]You can argue all you want. I had rather someone argue with me so maybe a 3rd party will see the light and save an arm or two.

Until someone is a freshman in high school, all they need to do is long toss, fastball and change up - and no splitfinger stuff or other silly stuff, just a simple circle change... See Trevor Hoffman.....

Amen David. Argue on , but if one parent sees this and a lightbulb goes on it is worth every breath it took to argue the point!

Tell me how many of the 12 year old wonder pitchers from Little League world series who were ptiching wicked curveballs and 65mph fastballs are currently playing at the pro level? I would love to hear about just one of those kids going on to great baseball careers if you can find one for me.

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ May 31 2007 - 12:41 PM) 826469640[/snapback]Amen David. Argue on , but if one parent sees this and a lightbulb goes on it is worth every breath it took to argue the point!

Tell me how many of the 12 year old wonder pitchers from Little League world series who were ptiching wicked curveballs and 65mph fastballs are currently playing at the pro level? I would love to hear about just one of those kids going on to great baseball careers if you can find one for me.

Jimmy Key. His dad was my little league coach. We played little league together. And even then his dad limited his curve ball throwing even though he had a pretty nasty one at 10 years of age. He just threw so hard and so well and hit his spots he didn't need to.... But we came up about 2 games short of making it Williamsport.....