Georgia - Tennessee All-Star Football Game

oldtimeballer63

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(oldtimeballer63 @ May 31 2007 - 12:51 PM) 826469642[/snapback]Does anyone have information concerning the Stump On Sports Georgia - Tennessee All-Star Football Game which is to be held at Finley Stadium in Chattanooga on June 9th?

I checked his website a week or so ago and there was no mention of it so I assumed there wasn't going to be one. I just checked again and other than the date there is nothing about so no rosters have been announced yet!

QUOTE(oldtimeballer63 @ May 31 2007 - 12:51 PM) 826469642[/snapback]Does anyone have information concerning the Stump On Sports Georgia - Tennessee All-Star Football Game which is to be held at Finley Stadium in Chattanooga on June 9th?

Do you know if they have any radio/tv coverage? TennesseeSportsNet.Com would love to cover this game LIVE if we can get a couple of sponsors, that is if they would like us to come. If anyone can answer this ? send TSN an email at youthsports@tennesseesportsnet.com , thanks! Also there's TSN contact info on our website.

QUOTE(TennesseeSportsNet.Com @ Jun 1 2007 - 12:05 AM) 826469977[/snapback]Do you know if they have any radio/tv coverage? TennesseeSportsNet.Com would love to cover this game LIVE if we can get a couple of sponsors, that is if they would like us to come. If anyone can answer this ? send TSN an email at youthsports@tennesseesportsnet.com , thanks! Also there's TSN contact info on our website.

contact Stump Martin at stumponsports@aol.com

The annual high school football All-star game that Stump On Sports television talk show host Stump Martin once dreamed of is set for its fourth border battle.

The 2007 Hardee's Tennessee/Georgia All-Star Football Classic, sponsored by Adams Sporting Goods, will be held at Finley Stadium in Chattanooga June 9 at 7:30.

This is the second time that the classic will be held on the Finley Stadium turf.

"This game has turned into something special," Martin said. "Don't forget, the first game at Ridgeland High in 2004 drew more than 2,500 fans and both benches emptied on the field in the third quarter."

Martin said each state wants to be able to say that their area plays the best brand of football.

Cortney Braswell was the captain for Tennessee in the 2005 Tennessee/Georgia All-star Classic won by Georgia 29-3 at East Ridge High.

The Liberty University standout, who has transferred to Chattanooga, said the game is more intense than words can explain. He said there is so much more on the line than in a playoff game.

"You have a lot to prove in this game," the former Chattanooga Baylor running back said. "This is a chance for bragging rights and to make lifetime friends. "For some it's the last time to strap up and to see how good you really are."

The All-star teams are selected by the coaches and made up of players from 12 counties in Southeast Tennessee and 12 counties in Northwest Georgia.

This is the fourth borderline battle in the spirited rivalry between the two states. Tennessee leads the series 2-1.

The Tennessee stars will be coached by Ooltewah's Benny Monroe and the Georgia stars are coached by Ridgeland's Mark Mariakis.

Mariakis said his coaching staff has worked to put the best players from the Northwest Georgia area on the field in an attempt to even the series at 2-2.

"I think we're very talented and have good size and good speed," Mariakis said. "The kids are excited and ready to go."

The Ridgeland mentor was the defensive coordinator on the only Georgia team to win in this series.

"It looks like we're going to be strong at receiver, running backs and quarterbacks," he said. "We have the Times Free Press Offensive Player of the Year in Matt Thornburg (Gordon Lee) and the Defensive Player of the Year in Curt Welch (Calhoun)."

Mariakis said the kids know how to play football; he just needs to get them in right position and let them play.

Monroe has filled his orange-and-white clad Tennessee team with speed and size in an effort to turn back the players from the red-clay of Georgia.

The legendary Tennessee coach guided his Owls to a 13-1 season in the fall of 2006 before losing to eventual Class 5-A State Champion Smyrna.

He will have 11 members of that team playing on the Tennessee stars.

"That's a real positive getting to see those guys one more time," Monroe said. "You really create an attachment when you coach the players and have success with them. You have life-long relationships that stick with you."

Monroe said the familiarity the 11 players have with his system will help the Tennessee team.

"Most of the senior boys from Ooltewah are playing," he said. "The familiarity with the boys has to help, especially if you have your quarterback."

Tennessee will have Ooltewah's Jeremy Woods, who signed with Tennessee Tech, to lead the Volunteer State squad.

"We don't have time to do a whole lot of stuff and don??™t know what kind of talent we have coming in," Monroe said. "I'm going to try to play all the players, but if you play you play to win."

Both teams began practice Saturday June 2 at Finley Stadium with spirited workouts.

The media will have access to the players following practices each day.

Tennessee will practice daily at Finley Stadium and Georgia will practice daily at Southeast Whitfield High School in Dalton. The daily practice times will be announced.

Tickets for the game may be purchased at the gate for $10. A portion of the gate receipts go to the Chattanooga Area Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Lookout Mountain chapter of the FCA.

For more information contact Stump Martin at 423-421-2595 or Deb Martin at 423-421-2597.

http://www.stumponsports.com/archived.php?p=314

QUOTE(HoopsterPlaya @ Jun 5 2007 - 09:53 AM) 826471531[/snapback]I'm not sure who picks the players for this game, but how can Ooltewah have 11 players in this All-Star game?

This is the way I understood it happening. The head coach goes out and picks his staff. Then his staff gets together and they each have there choices of whom to pick for the game.

(Might not be how it's done every year but thats how I understood it was done last year)

If Ooltewah indeed has 11 players on the team. That 1. Doesn't seem very fair to other area teams. or 2. Is the result of other area teams having extreme down years.

QUOTE(Grundyplayer @ Jun 5 2007 - 03:48 PM) 826471667[/snapback]This is the way I understood it happening. The head coach goes out and picks his staff. Then his staff gets together and they each have there choices of whom to pick for the game.

(Might not be how it's done every year but thats how I understood it was done last year)

If Ooltewah indeed has 11 players on the team. That 1. Doesn't seem very fair to other area teams. or 2. Is the result of other area teams having extreme down years.

I think that Stump and his crew invites the players to participate in the game. As you can see not

everyone that is invited is playing due to alot of reasons. The problem I have seen is they do not have enough players

at certain positions. The OL only has 6 on the Tn team.

Ooltewah has alot of players because they had alot of talented seniors. They have players that were not even

full time starters that look as good as anyone out there. Two of their top seniors are not playing, Michael Welch (LB) due

to surgery and Jensen Morgan (?). Team Tn would be alot better with both of these.

Bottom Line- Not matter who is playing on Team Tn Benny Monroe and the Ooltewah staff will have them ready to play.