The answer to the problem

BackinTN

My proposal, which has been made several times on these boards over the last few years, is that we eliminate the football playoffs altogether, let anyone play anyone else, without regard to divisions, classifications, etc., lengthen the schedule to eleven regular season games and allow all teams with a winning record to participate in a bowl game. As has been pointed out, this would provide the TSSAA with a revenue stream and would allow local groups the opportunity to make some money for their organization or charity.

I'd pay to see a Riverdale versus McCallie match-up (or insert the teams of your choice here) in a post-season bowl game at MTSU.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(larry @ Jun 5 2007 - 09:40 AM) 826471527[/snapback]2 private school divisions and 3 public sounds about right.

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Jun 5 2007 - 12:23 PM) 826471590[/snapback]My proposal, which has been made several times on these boards over the last few years, is that we eliminate the football playoffs altogether, let anyone play anyone else, without regard to divisions, classifications, etc., lengthen the schedule to eleven regular season games and allow all teams with a winning record to participate in a bowl game. As has been pointed out, this would provide the TSSAA with a revenue stream and would allow local groups the opportunity to make some money for their organization or charity.

I'd pay to see a Riverdale versus McCallie match-up (or insert the teams of your choice here) in a post-season bowl game at MTSU.

My proposal is to do as many splits (privates and open zones) and make as many classifications as it takes until MP wins a state title know matter how watered down it is. LOL. Now thats funny, I dont care who ya are.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 5 2007 - 12:40 PM) 826471597[/snapback]My proposal is to do as many splits (privates and open zones) and make as many classifications as it takes until MP wins a state title know matter how watered down it is. LOL. Now thats funny, I dont care who ya are.

Coin toss...every team in the state meet at LP Field. Coaches meet on the field, players in the stands (no one wants anything settled by them on the field, anyway) Ref tosses coin. Coaches chose heads or tails. Whoever calls right, all of those are state champions. Whoever calls wrong, state runner-ups. Every gets a fair chance...its all 50-50. Now will everyone shut up and take their trophy home??? You get a 50-50 chance next year!

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Jun 5 2007 - 12:23 PM) 826471590[/snapback]My proposal, which has been made several times on these boards over the last few years, is that we eliminate the football playoffs altogether, let anyone play anyone else, without regard to divisions, classifications, etc., lengthen the schedule to eleven regular season games and allow all teams with a winning record to participate in a bowl game. As has been pointed out, this would provide the TSSAA with a revenue stream and would allow local groups the opportunity to make some money for their organization or charity.

In other words...you want to regress 40 years. I like that idea less than what we have now (which is not very good).

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jun 5 2007 - 12:59 PM) 826471642[/snapback]In other words...you want to regress 40 years. I like that idea less than what we have now (which is not very good).

There is nothing new under the sun. Call it "regression" or whatever you will. Some of the best ideas are old ideas. If what we have now is "not very good" (your words) then why not go back to some form of what we have had in the past?

Maybe if we go far enough back we will realize that what we had at some point was not as bad as we thought!

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Jun 5 2007 - 02:22 PM) 826471654[/snapback]There is nothing new under the sun. Call it "regression" or whatever you will. Some of the best ideas are old ideas. If what we have now is "not very good" (your words) then why not go back to some form of what we have had in the past?

Maybe if we go far enough back we will realize that what we had at some point was not as bad as we thought!

I've swayed one person!

I don't mind that idea, but you will never see enough people supporting any kind of idea that doesn't crown a state champion.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Jun 5 2007 - 12:40 PM) 826471597[/snapback]My proposal is to do as many splits (privates and open zones) and make as many classifications as it takes until MP wins a state title know matter how watered down it is. LOL. Now thats funny, I dont care who ya are.

They say admitting that you have a problem to yourself is the first step... i am proud of you.

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Jun 5 2007 - 02:22 PM) 826471654[/snapback]There is nothing new under the sun. Call it "regression" or whatever you will. Some of the best ideas are old ideas. If what we have now is "not very good" (your words) then why not go back to some form of what we have had in the past?

Some old ideas are just that. I would rather see a class system with state champions of some sort. Do you remember the system you have proposed? I am just curious. I do.

getter done, there MPHS.

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 5 2007 - 11:29 AM) 826471575[/snapback]Your breakdowns work good, but it still leaves a inordinate number of state champions for the same sport with the same age kids in it. You end up with 4 public, and then whatever number the private divisions decide to come up with...small private, large private, urban private , rural private , financial aid, non financial aid, etc.

It's been 8, will go to 7 this fall (5 and 2), this would be one less than that.

QUOTE(BackinTN @ Jun 6 2007 - 08:06 AM) 826472014[/snapback]If the privates totally split off, do you think there will only be two private classifications?

I think they will totally split from the T$$AA and start their own org. I'd guess their would be at least 2 classifications - big and small - as most D1 schools now would restart the process of giving aid to qualified students.