blackman blaze 2007

january25

QUOTE(2priceless @ Jun 8 2007 - 08:15 PM) 826473112[/snapback]I think you are wrong......Vick has improved a lot of things at Blackman athletically. First of all, she got rid of Alsup, and tried her best to hire in Crawford . When that didn't work, she tried to hire in Perry ( who has really turned around MJ already.) The boy's soccer team was ONE point away from going to the finals at state this year. The boy's bball team did great. Believe they ended up at #2 in a VERY competitive district. (District Record: 10-4 Region record: 13-5)

Baseball did well, and so did softball. They had several in track that went to state this yr and one who placed second at state. Nothing to sneeze at. I am not sure about the other sports, but seems like the only ones struggling were girls bball and varsity football .

Didn't Vick coach Girls bball at Riverdale at one time?

YES she was our girls freshman baseketball coach when i was there (and my algebra teacher) so she DOES CARE about athletics and she understand FULLY how important those things are when it comes to a school i will say that Dr nixon didnt care i am not sure waht he was doing i guess he got luck with all those athletes from RIverdale he figugured he wouldnt have to do anything and the athletic programs would be fine and he was wrong BUT they have a BRIGHT future so good luck to them

I dont think they will be much of a force to rekon with this year although they will be more competitive but that doesnt mean they will be that good

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(2priceless @ Jun 8 2007 - 09:15 PM) 826473112[/snapback]I think you are wrong......Vick has improved a lot of things at Blackman athletically. First of all, she got rid of Alsup, and tried her best to hire in Crawford . When that didn't work, she tried to hire in Perry ( who has really turned around MJ already.) The boy's soccer team was ONE point away from going to the finals at state this year. The boy's bball team did great. Believe they ended up at #2 in a VERY competitive district. (District Record: 10-4 Region record: 13-5)

Baseball did well, and so did softball. They had several in track that went to state this yr and one who placed second at state. Nothing to sneeze at. I am not sure about the other sports, but seems like the only ones struggling were girls bball and varsity football .

Didn't Vick coach Girls bball at Riverdale at one time?

Good players bring wins...im just talkin about getting facilities. Butch has been at Oakland for a year, and they have gotten an indoor facility. Siegel is committed, they are breaking ground on a field house. Wilson Central has a great field house. And at Smyrna we all know how committed Mr. Raikes is to athletics.

At least the soccer team is getting a field of their own. And i think the basketball teams are finally getting a locker room at Blackman. But i do think that Blackmans football team is the only one left in the county without any type of facility.

QUOTE(VOL DAWG @ Jun 9 2007 - 09:03 AM) 826473210[/snapback]Good players bring wins...im just talkin about getting facilities. Butch has been at Oakland for a year, and they have gotten an indoor facility for way over a year. Siegel is committed, they are breaking ground on a field house. Wilson Central has a great field house. And at Smyrna we all know how committed Mr. Raikes is to athletics.

At least the soccer team is getting a field of their own. And i think the basketball teams are finally getting a locker room at Blackman. But i do think that Blackmans football team is the only one left in the county without any type of facility.

Butch wasn't responsible for the indoor facility. Football already had the plans drawn up and funding started on it before Butch was even on board. The boosters, players, and coaches have busted their butts fundraising for this facility for way over a year. Please do not give all the credit to Butch. Yes, he totally is committed to athletics and helped AFTER the fact, but this was a FOOTBALL brainstorm. It will be used by all sports, but I sincerely DOUBT any of the others have raised any of the money needed to build it. We do appreciate Butch being on board at OHS and know that he will help all athletics and academics with his vision.

As for Blackman..... coaches can't sit back and wait for the fairy godmother to grant them a wish. They have to ACTIVELY pursue what is needed. What is odd is that when Alsup was at OHS, he came up with plans for an indoor facility and fundraising was started there for it. Then he left. He knows how to get plans drawn up, and why he didn't get those things going at BHS is a mystery to me. Let's not forget all the things that BHS has that the other schools don't......such as that TV station and ability to broadcast ALL their sports. I think all of us at the other schools who can't make all the games would KILL for that

Good players bring wins? Wasn't DAVID PRICE , the #1 Draft pick, on your baseball team at BHS? WHERE is the gold from that? No better player in the NATION than him according to the draft.

Good players are needed for wins but ULTIMATELY it is HOW they are USED that brings the W's. Good players need to be developed. That is called coaching...... a good coach can make a player out of a mediocre athlete.

QUOTE(VOL DAWG @ Jun 11 2007 - 03:31 PM) 826473891[/snapback]I totally agree...but back to the topic.

Blackmans facilites are WAY behind the other Rutherford County schools.

Oakland and Riverdale are over 30 yrs old. They had to fight, claw, and scratch to get additions to the building for adequate classrooms. They are just NOW getting those additions. Smyrna and Lavergne are the next oldest HS's yet both got additions to make them able to handle 2000 students a few yrs back. Blackman has already received funding and additions YET the building is what like 6 yrs old? Yet, you are talking about inadequate facilities when we were accomodating over 2400 students in a building built for 1500? The Oakland and Riverdale buildings are falling apart while you sit in one practically brand new. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......look how LONG it took Oakland and Riverdale to get a football stadium. Around 25 yrs!! YET...Siegel, Blackman, Lavergne, and Smyrna all had one from the beginning. Oh except for Siegel who had to wait ONE yr. Oakland and Riverdale boosters have busted their butts to get the athletic facilities that they have now.....including the softball and baseball fields. Both schools played their home games in those sports away for yrs b/c they didn't have fields. Cry me a river.......Blackman fans, players, coaches, and boosters can bust their butts like we have had to and raise the money to build whatever they need. Or are you just content to continue searching consignments shops for Aladdin's Lamp?

QUOTE(2priceless @ Jun 11 2007 - 05:15 PM) 826473933[/snapback]Oakland and Riverdale are over 30 yrs old. They had to fight, claw, and scratch to get additions to the building for adequate classrooms. They are just NOW getting those additions. Smyrna and Lavergne are the next oldest HS's yet both got additions to make them able to handle 2000 students a few yrs back. Blackman has already received funding and additions YET the building is what like 6 yrs old? Yet, you are talking about inadequate facilities when we were accomodating over 2400 students in a building built for 1500? The Oakland and Riverdale buildings are falling apart while you sit in one practically brand new. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......look how LONG it took Oakland and Riverdale to get a football stadium. Around 25 yrs!! YET...Siegel, Blackman, Lavergne, and Smyrna all had one from the beginning. Oh except for Siegel who had to wait ONE yr. Oakland and Riverdale boosters have busted their butts to get the athletic facilities that they have now.....including the softball and baseball fields. Both schools played their home games in those sports away for yrs b/c they didn't have fields. Cry me a river.......Blackman fans, players, coaches, and boosters can bust their butts like we have had to and raise the money to build whatever they need. Or are you just content to continue searching consignments shops for Aladdin's Lamp?

And they only gave us football stadiums because there was no way you could divide MTSU up by 3 teams. I think Oakland has an advantage over most schools in this county because Butch is so proactive and will do anything to get the funds or facilities needed to make oakland a top notch school

QUOTE(OaklandPatriots @ Jun 11 2007 - 07:15 PM) 826473976[/snapback]And they only gave us football stadiums because there was no way you could divide MTSU up by 3 teams. I think Oakland has an advantage over most schools in this county because Butch is so proactive and will do anything to get the funds or facilities needed to make oakland a top notch school

I agree...Butch is the man...he gets stuff done...i know yall fund raised for years...but Butch is there 2 years..he gets a couple signatures on a loan....and badabing...its done.

I bet everyschool wished that had a Butch or a Bud to get stuff done.

2 yrs? Butch was officially on board July of 06. That means he hasn't been at Oakland even a year yet. Check your facts. As I said before.....the football coaches, players, and boosters are responsible for getting the indoor facility by fundraising, fundraising, and more fundraising . They had the vision, and they drew up the plans LAST YEAR. Butch helped get the finances rolling for the loan so it could be finished.

Butch Vaughn has been a blessing for Oakland. He isn't afraid to fight or make the upper echelon angry to get things done. He is a former coach and a real go-getter. You couldn't ask for a better principal.

QUOTE(2priceless @ Jun 11 2007 - 04:15 PM) 826473933[/snapback]Oakland and Riverdale are over 30 yrs old. They had to fight, claw, and scratch to get additions to the building for adequate classrooms. They are just NOW getting those additions. Smyrna and Lavergne are the next oldest HS's yet both got additions to make them able to handle 2000 students a few yrs back. Blackman has already received funding and additions YET the building is what like 6 yrs old? Yet, you are talking about inadequate facilities when we were accomodating over 2400 students in a building built for 1500? The Oakland and Riverdale buildings are falling apart while you sit in one practically brand new. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......look how LONG it took Oakland and Riverdale to get a football stadium. Around 25 yrs!! YET...Siegel, Blackman, Lavergne, and Smyrna all had one from the beginning. Oh except for Siegel who had to wait ONE yr. Oakland and Riverdale boosters have busted their butts to get the athletic facilities that they have now.....including the softball and baseball fields. Both schools played their home games in those sports away for yrs b/c they didn't have fields. Cry me a river.......Blackman fans, players, coaches, and boosters can bust their butts like we have had to and raise the money to build whatever they need. Or are you just content to continue searching consignments shops for Aladdin's Lamp?

STOP EVERYONE WRITE THIS DOWN I AGREE WITH 2P!!!!!!!!!!!!! what is so bad about the facilites 2P is that the school board apporved the new stadium when i was in school (class of 89)we always heard we were getting one but it tool a long time to get them huh as far as baseball stadiums...coach Powers and the boosters has worked MANY TITANS games and other fundraiser to get facilites(which TSSAA says we cant use anymore during the off season) and a better feild and surrounding meanwhile the newer school was given a HUGE HEAD START and they want to complain about inadequite facilities

QUOTE(2priceless @ Jun 11 2007 - 07:46 PM) 826473990[/snapback]2 yrs? Butch was officially on board July of 06. That means he hasn't been at Oakland even a year yet. Check your facts. As I said before.....the football coaches, players, and boosters are responsible for getting the indoor facility by fundraising, fundraising, and more fundraising . They had the vision, and they drew up the plans LAST YEAR. Butch helped get the finances rolling for the loan so it could be finished.

Butch Vaughn has been a blessing for Oakland. He isn't afraid to fight or make the upper echelon angry to get things done. He is a former coach and a real go-getter. You couldn't ask for a better principal.

All of the schools in Rutherford county has its problems just like everywhere else. Not one high school has an adequate dressing room for the visiting team. Lavergne is the only school still using port-a-potties for there football stadium. Some of the schools just do a better job working with what they have but i do think that some of the principals have a long range goal and are working hard to get there. Blackman has great facilities as in stadium and practice fields they just have to take care of it and that is the responsibility of the coaches and they need to be backed by the administration. Just one more thing just how much money was it that the board gave Riverdale and Oakland last year or two years ago to upgrade there stadiums for baseball and overall athletics so that that spring fling could be held in Rutherford county I think it was around $130,000.