Class 3A: Region 4 Favorites

CoachT

Who is the region favorite in 2007?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the region favorite in 2007?

Twice. In 2000 they were unbeaten and one of the best teams in 3A and lost in the quarterfinals to Jackson South Side 7-6. In 2002 they were nearly perfect heading into the quarterfinals and they lost to Crockett Co. (45-0 I believe).

Those are the only two times in which I would say that they "choked" under the pressure of being the favorites. In 2001 the Tigers won the region championship but they were far from being considered the best team in 3A that season as JSS proved in the opening round of the playoffs. In 2003, 2004, & 2005 the Tigers were athletic and had talent but those teams were not nearly good enough to be considered "powerhouses".

BTW, the Cheatham Co. Cubs were a pretty darn good Class 2A football team in 2004. For someone to say that they were weak based on their classification alone is crazy. That same team (with the significant exceptions being Langley & Stokes) returned in 2005 at the Class 3A level and crushed pretty much everyone that they played outside of David Lipscomb (and Creek Wood though they did play awful in that loss).

In 2001 MC won the region and lost at home to a 4th seed Jackson SS who is also notorious for choking in the play-offs, just like they did to Sycamore a few years ago in the 1st round. And they indeed had the talent to be powerhouses those years with the exception of maybe 2003.

Didn't Sycamore beat Cheatham that year without a suspended Langley at QB and with a battered, banged-up, and injured tailback Landon Jones at about half seed? Thought so.

Dont make excuses for Cheatham losing to Creekwood that year either. There are reasons teams "play awful" in losses. They always seem to right?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Sycamore beat Cheatham that year without a suspended Langley at QB and with a battered, banged-up, and injured tailback Landon Jones at about half seed? Thought so.

Dont make excuses for Cheatham losing to Creekwood that year either. There are reasons teams "play awful" in losses. They always seem to right?

looks like u makin excuses for cheatam losin to sycamore and dont be hatin on our coachin!

looks like u makin excuses for cheatam losin to sycamore and dont be hatin on our coachin!

No he's not making any excuses as far as Langley being suspended and Landon being injured go. Landon Jones may have been one of the better football players in quite some time to come through this county. He overcame a broken neck and several different injuries throughout his high school playing career and in his final two years at CCCHS he was one of the better running backs in the midstate. Christmas was not ready to play that game as a sophomore though Kyle did go on to enjoy a great deal of success last year as a senior. THAT IS ABOUT THE ONLY THING HOWEVER THAT BASSMAGNET & MYSELF AGREE ON!!! Langley or Jones were starting or going to ever start for the Cubs defensive backfield that night and Garza pretty much had his way through the air in that game. Sycamore's 36 points in that game was no accident. I will certainly tell you that Cheatham Co. would have scored more than 22 had Langley started at QB for the Cubs in that game. They wouldn't have been one-dimensional on offense with him at QB.

As far as your coaches go they are very underrated in my opinion. Coach Brunetti did some great things in his first year last fall. He has coached under and learned from two of the best coaches to pace the sidelines in the midstate in past years in Tommy Tharp & Maurice Fitzgerald. Tony Brunetti is not just a one hit wonder coach. He will win at PC for years to come and anyone who'd compare him to "Larry Coker" is crazy. Coach Wilson & Coach Harris are also two induviduals who I have a great deal of respect for as far as their coaching abilities are concerned.

No he's not making any excuses as far as Langley being suspended and Landon being injured go. Landon Jones may have been one of the better football players in quite some time to come through this county. He overcame a broken neck and several different injuries throughout his high school playing career and in his final two years at CCCHS he was one of the better running backs in the midstate. Christmas was not ready to play that game as a sophomore though Kyle did go on to enjoy a great deal of success last year as a senior. THAT IS ABOUT THE ONLY THING HOWEVER THAT BASSMAGNET & MYSELF AGREE ON!!! Langley or Jones were starting or going to ever start for the Cubs defensive backfield that night and Garza pretty much had his way through the air in that game. Sycamore's 36 points in that game was no accident. I will certainly tell you that Cheatham Co. would have scored more than 22 had Langley started at QB for the Cubs in that game. They wouldn't have been one-dimensional on offense with him at QB.

As far as your coaches go they are very underrated in my opinion. Coach Brunetti did some great things in his first year last fall. He has coached under and learned from two of the best coaches to pace the sidelines in the midstate in past years in Tommy Tharp & Maurice Fitzgerald. Tony Brunetti is not just a one hit wonder coach. He will win at PC for years to come and anyone who'd compare him to "Larry Coker" is crazy. Coach Wilson & Coach Harris are also two induviduals who I have a great deal of respect for as far as their coaching abilities are concerned.

Great talent makes great coaches. How many state championships could Fitz had won if PC were playing in 3A his last 4-5 years like they were classified instead of opting to play 4A? I'd say at least 1 more, but we'll never know. PC has tons of talent and probably always will...it just doesnt make Brunetti a "great" coach. Anyone could and will win for years to come at PC. And I really dont think you understand the comparison fully.

Jones statistically was one of the better players in the midstate, but not in actual physical playmaking ability. He would not have started at TB for many, many teams in the midstate. He was big and physical and slow and stiff AND ran behind a great o-line. Good o-lines make average backs look really good. I do think he had the biggest heart in the midstate though and he is an even better person too. I dont mean to take anything away from him, but he was not one of the best TAILBACKS in the midstate. Maybe in stats, but not in physical ability. There is a diffrence. Where is he playing now?

Great talent makes great coaches. How many state championships could Fitz had won if PC were playing in 3A his last 4-5 years like they were classified instead of opting to play 4A? I'd say at least 1 more, but we'll never know. PC has tons of talent and probably always will...it just doesnt make Brunetti a "great" coach. Anyone could and will win for years to come at PC. And I really dont think you understand the comparison fully.

Jones statistically was one of the better players in the midstate, but not in actual physical playmaking ability. He would not have started at TB for many, many teams in the midstate. He was big and physical and slow and stiff AND ran behind a great o-line. Good o-lines make average backs look really good. I do think he had the biggest heart in the midstate though and he is an even better person too. I dont mean to take anything away from him, but he was not one of the best TAILBACKS in the midstate. Maybe in stats, but not in physical ability. There is a diffrence. Where is he playing now?

He was at Bethel playing but after separating his shoulder during spring drills he decided to hang up his cleats. You are right though because he is a great young man and will go on to do great things in life without football. I wish him the very best!!!!

The 2001 Pearl Cohn Firebirds would have easily contended for a state title in 3A IF THEY WERE PLAYING AT THAT LEVEL!!!! That team was very talented but they just came up short in the playoffs against a Hillsboro team that may have been MORE TALENTED that year.

1. White House - Reloaded and matured and well coached and STRONG

2. PC - Athletic as always, will under-achieve - won't make it to 3rd round this year with championship caliber players-not coaches

3. Greenbrier - Always tough and well coached under Williams

4. Macon County - Average....just average

5. Sycamore - Decent to good talent, but will under-achieve and miss play-offs for 3 of 4 years under Halstead

6. Station Camp - Too many holes to fill from last year

7. Dekalb - -----------

This is a copy of your original picks and now your picks read as follows:

1. WH

2. PC

3. GB

4. S CAMP

5. MACON

6. SYC

7. DEKALB

The unknown news that you heard from Sycamore is obviously going to doom the War Eagles hopes at making the playoffs in 2007 and apparently Macon Co. fans can't quite rejoice either because you have Station Camp jumping two spots in your predictions (climbing both SHS & MCHS). Somebody had to have gotten injured over their summer vacation, transferred to another school, simply just quit football altogether, or not be as good as you originally thought while making the original predictions.

Two spots is not a lot in this region. PC won the region title last year and WH finished third in the region during the regular season. Macon Co. finished fifth in the regular season and was the odd team out in the playoff picture. WH beat PC & Macon beat WH during the regular season suprisingly enough. Greenbrier finished sixth in a seven team region last year and with just 10 POINTS they could have been third in the final region standings (close losses were against WH, Sycamore, & Macon). PC lost in week seven to WH and Station Camp beat WH in week nine by 30+ points. The favored team lost that game and along with it the Region 4-3A Championship in week ten last season. TALK ABOUT A WILD REGION!!!!!!!

For the most part I see that people are believing that the White House at Pearl Cohn game in week seven will decide the region champion. In the coaches preseason poll those two teams are ranked #6 (PC) & #8 (WH) respectively.

Of course Station Camp, Sycamore, & Greenbrier will all have a huge say so in this argument before all is said and done.

• 2 weeks later...