Class 3A: Region 7 Favorites

CoachT

Who is the region favorite in 2007?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the region favorite in 2007?

Here, then, let's try to liven it back up.

Anyone who picks a team not located in Dyersburg just is not looking at this region objectively. Bowling is, IMO, an excellent football coach, one of the best in West TN. You've got one of the top RB's in the area in Caldwell, Taylor is moving to a slot/RB where he is going to be very dangerous, and now Parker -- who runs the option very well -- is in at QB.

But no one is talking about the addition of Wes Kennedy to the coaching staff, and that's going to be huge. Kennedy is a heckuva coach, just look at what he did with a Fayette Academy team that had average talent more years than not. Having him on the sidelines is going to make a difference.

Crockett County isn't to be left for dead. They're very big and very experienced up front, and you know they'll always have solid skill guys. If the O-Line can do its job while the new skill players get their feet wet, the Cavs will be pretty dangerous in the second half of the season. The front 7 on defense ought to be strong as usual...the secondary will be the defense's biggest concern.

Covington is Covington, they're going to be in the mix. Someone else mentioned Haywood's tendency to start slow and finish strong...can't imagine why this year would be any different.

But I think those two will get some competition from Ripley. Remember, Marty Wheeler didn't even get hired to replace McAdams until mid July last year, so he never really got a chance to get his feet on the ground; plus, he brought in new systems on both sides of the ball without much time to implement them. Now that he has a full year under his belt with his team, I think we'll see a pretty marked improvement.

If I had to pick 'em today, I'd go:

1. Dyersburg

2. Covington

3. Crockett Co.

4. Ripley

I feel pretty confident that those are your playoff teams with Haywood barely missing out...2-4 could fall another way. It's going to be a fun region to follow.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't feel bad for OC.....That's the kind of the stuff that makes kids lay down.....The 30 something kids that have stuck it out this whole offseason have worked extremely hard and don't need any of you guys feeling sorry for them.....Yeah, they will probably get beat but its not because they will give up.....And Week 4 may not be pretty, but being cocky and coming in like your God's gift to Earth will get you beat.....They're down, yes, but won't ever quit....I'm proud that I'm an alumni there now and will always be rooting for the Rebels.....Please go out this year guys and give everything you have and as long as you left everything on the field thats all that matters......GO REBELS!!!!!

This lookin like its gonna be a heck of a season..everyone sayin dburg is the top dog and the rest of the teams wantin to prove everybody wrong.. crockett bein one of the lower picks with ppl picking covington and sum picking haywood and covington ahead of them......i jus think this is gonna be a crazy season with some one not expected winning the region. People also sayin crockett will be strong in the last half of the season and haywood comin on strong at the end..or will convington who has not been tlked about very much beat everybody in the region and win it..or ripley sneakin in and gettin sumwere in the top 3 .....like i said it gonna be a heck of a season to see wat happens!!

treefitty is exactly right. The last things the kids from OC need is somebody feelin sorry for them. What we as OC fans need to do is be out there every Friday night and support them through the good times and bad times. And yes week 4 may be ugly but the kids will be fired up and more motivated for this game than any other and if they go down they will go down fighting. It's a good thing Coach Bowling doesn't let his players take on the attitude of some of there fans.

recent history tells us that the team that wins region 7 will not be the team will play in the semis… is there a team in 7 – 07 that will change history?

there are a lot of fans that love to talk some crazy smack......but i guess that is what makes for some great conversation....

when the re-classifications were done in 05, i said then, and still say today, that i would never try to rank region 7....

there are way too many teams in this region who can beat anybody on any given night........ here are some of my observations about region 7 for 07:

#1.....dburg will have the most talented backfield in west tennessee along with a very capable receiver corps........ huge questions yet to be answered are: chemistry, leadership, linebackers, executing offense, defensive scheme success and most importantly LUCK...... if dburg can answers those questions, then they have a good shot at the boro....

#2....on paper, haywood returns more starters than anyone else and should be solid......

#3...on paper, crockett county should be down.....but pratt will have what he has ready and will be competitive....

#4...ripley has a great coach in wheeler......ripley has athletes........you better watch out for ripley......

#5....covington has some tools.....they are the strongest team in the region (weight room)....a lot of unknowns about the chargers with their new coach...

#6....oc rebs have been kicked around the yard a lot lately.........at some point, they just may get fed up start kicking all of our butts....

#7....dyer county has themselves a new offense (troy state and no huddle)......but gone is flowers.......it will be another tuff year for the orange n white

Dyersburg has a brutal road schedule in my opion. Even tough Jackson North Side and Bolivar are not region games, they both are very talented this year and these tough road games could take a tole.

Dyersburg @ JNS

Dyersburg @ Bolivar

Dyersburg @ Crockett County

Dyersburg @ Covington

If Dyer County finishes 5th, I'll boycoot football.....Not goin to happen

but wondering with the injury to Logan Parker and the shift of positions that have to happen, now that the new qb that started the movement will definetly be gone for a while.

Any changes to your picks

I think I will stick with mine....

but wondering with the injury to Logan Parker and the shift of positions that have to happen, now that the new qb that started the movement will definetly be gone for a while.

Everybody was picking Dyersburg even before Logan transferred.....With that type of offense it really doesn't matter who your quarterback is.....You have to be disciplined and it will successful either way......Dyersburg is still the favorite to me....

parker will have it worked on monday and the return to the starting line up in about 8 weeks he has the same injury that loisville qb had last season and he was out 8 weeks. so that would put parker ready at game 3. and with rashad at qb till then you have to like the odds he is 22-3 as a starter. the kid knows how to win! the main thing is getting caldwell the ball!!!!!!

I am interested to see what does happen in the region. How my Covington Chargers will fare is as big a mystery to me as it seems to be to everybody else. I will pick my team just because I can't pull for anybody else in this region to win it. I have pulled against Dyersburg too long to grant them the championship yet, even in pre-season speculation. The old joke in Covington is that if the refs are really making bad calls on a given night, somebody in the crowd will always yell "Y'all must be from Dyersburg". That is always good for a laugh.

With a new coach at Covington, I look for some new schemes from the Chargers this year. Let's check back in after several games and see if the predictions all hold up. One advantage that Covington has - our games against Crockett Co., Haywood, and Dyersburg are all in Covington this year, so there is a definite home-field advantage for us in the tougher region games.

I am interested to see what does happen in the region. How my Covington Chargers will fare is as big a mystery to me as it seems to be to everybody else. I will pick my team just because I can't pull for anybody else in this region to win it. I have pulled against Dyersburg too long to grant them the championship yet, even in pre-season speculation. The old joke in Covington is that if the refs are really making bad calls on a given night, somebody in the crowd will always yell "Y'all must be from Dyersburg". That is always good for a laugh.

With a new coach at Covington, I look for some new schemes from the Chargers this year. Let's check back in after several games and see if the predictions all hold up. One advantage that Covington has - our games against Crockett Co., Haywood, and Dyersburg are all in Covington this year, so there is a definite home-field advantage for us in the tougher region games.

bowling has sure had covingtons number the last four years with a bunch of slow small white boys at oc so get ready for what he's bringing to the table this season