Sonny Gray

Live4FridayNite615

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is good enough to be drafted in 2008 and the only question is which round. He needs to do everything possible to improve his draft status which equals big money. If you know anything about IMG Academy you would know that it is a boarding school that trains big time athletes including MLB players. I feel very confident that IMG would be willing to make financial concessions for Mr. Gray.

I obviously know he is good enough to be drafted. I just don't think most 18 year old kids are ready for the minor league lifestyle. I think it's much

better to go on to college for 3 or 4 years to mature. I know sometimes the money (1st round signing bonus) is too good to pass up. I've seen too many not make it because they are not ready...at that age...to be out on their own.

Too bad he lives in the only state that has a problem with this game and his eligibility. Wonder how T$$AA would feel if they were getting a cut of the gate??

prolly would let him play...its all about money but i dont see what the problem with him playing is why should there be a rule that doesnt allow him to play it doesnt hurt other teams or the sport and it doesnt give unfair advantages so whats the big deal come on T$$AA

What is the difference than Chris Donald (Huntingdon Tn.) being selected to play in Texas in the Army All-American game in football which was played in Jan. than Sonny Gray being able to play Baseball which is played in the off season also?

TSSAA didn't get any money when Chris went to Texas so what is the bis deal.

Difference between Donald and Gray is simple if you look at the rule.

Donald's football eligibility was over by the time January hit. Same goes with guys like Brandan Wright that play in the McDonald's All-American game.

But Gray hasn't played his senior season of baseball.

The sport that's being played has to be over.

Here is the rule from the tssaa site. It is pretty straight forward. I don't necessarily agree with the rule...but it is a rule.

2007-08 TSSAA Handbook

All-Star Games

Section 23 (a). No student shall be permitted to participate in an all-star game unless it is sanctioned by the TSSAA and unless he/she has completed high school eligibility in that sport; no individual player is allowed to participate in more than two sanctioned all-star contests during the school year; and © any student who fails to comply with the preceding requirements loses athletic eligibility for a period of time to be determined by the Board of Control. This rule reflects the present NCAA rule involving all-star games and is designed to parallel those regulations.

An all-star game is defined as any contest (where admission is charged either directly or indirectly) in which one or both teams is composed of players selected from two or more regularly constituted teams. This regulation does not apply to summer baseball and girls softball.

Any all-star game beginning after March 1, 1997, and involving TSSAA athletes must be sanctioned by the TSSAA. A filing fee of $250.00 is required for the game to be considered for sanctioning. If the game is approved then an additional approval fee of $750.00 is required. If the request is denied, then all fees shall be refunded. This fee is required for games involving groups not affiliated with the TSSAA and only upon initial application.

No member school shall permit use of its equipment, facilities, or of its employees, directly or indirectly, in the management, coaching, officiating, supervision, or promotion of player selection of any unsanctioned all-star team or contest during the school year.

Here is the rule from the tssaa site. It is pretty straight forward. I don't necessarily agree with the rule...but it is a rule.

2007-08 TSSAA Handbook

All-Star Games

Section 23 (a). No student shall be permitted to participate in an all-star game unless it is sanctioned by the TSSAA and unless he/she has completed high school eligibility in that sport; no individual player is allowed to participate in more than two sanctioned all-star contests during the school year; and © any student who fails to comply with the preceding requirements loses athletic eligibility for a period of time to be determined by the Board of Control. This rule reflects the present NCAA rule involving all-star games and is designed to parallel those regulations.

An all-star game is defined as any contest (where admission is charged either directly or indirectly) in which one or both teams is composed of players selected from two or more regularly constituted teams. This regulation does not apply to summer baseball and girls softball.

Any all-star game beginning after March 1, 1997, and involving TSSAA athletes must be sanctioned by the TSSAA. A filing fee of $250.00 is required for the game to be considered for sanctioning. If the game is approved then an additional approval fee of $750.00 is required. If the request is denied, then all fees shall be refunded. This fee is required for games involving groups not affiliated with the TSSAA and only upon initial application.

No member school shall permit use of its equipment, facilities, or of its employees, directly or indirectly, in the management, coaching, officiating, supervision, or promotion of player selection of any unsanctioned all-star team or contest during the school year.

He can disenroll (if thats even a word), declare homeschool status and come back after the game and register at Smyrna High.