Sonny Gray

Live4FridayNite615

How can you appeal a ruling that hasn't been made? In order to change the rule it might even require a vote of the membership schools but I am not sure about that.

So the only way to get a rule changed or challenged is to deliberately break it? All parties knew the rule, so one party wants it reviewed. this keeps everyone out of trouble!!!!! but the T$$AA, who are Obviously your "boys" refused to hear it. again they hid behind a bunch of bureaucratic red tape and B.S. so they wouldn't have to touch it.....is it because this rule is somebody's baby? Or are they just mad that people have the audacity to challenge their tyrannical authority?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because a lot of kids are playing on summer ball teams for thier schools. They have always played it the 1st week in August and only had a problem in one state! Take a stab at which state?????

I feel one way and you obviously feel another, we each have an answer and the sad part is we are both right. That is America!!

I truly hope that in the future no one else has to go through this kind of problem and that the TSSAA will eventually change the rule. Of course I also wish for world peace.

Any high school in Tennessee can ask for the issue to be put on the agenda and bring it up for a vote. The schools across the state can then vote on it through their BOC member. The TSSAA staff has nothing to do with adding or changing the rules, only enforcing them. The member schools add and change the rules through the Board of Control.

Any high school in Tennessee can ask for the issue to be put on the agenda and bring it up for a vote. The schools across the state can then vote on it through their BOC member. The TSSAA staff has nothing to do with adding or changing the rules, only enforcing them. The member schools add and change the rules through the Board of Control.

Coach,

You never answered my question. Does Ronnie Carter not have the power to give an exemption to a rule in a special circumstance on his own? Did he not make the call himself on the girl from Perry Co.?

Yes you are correct that the TSSAA staff does not pass the rules. However, they could be proactive and review the rule book and look for rules that should be changed, take them to the BOC and allow them to vote yes or no for changing the rules.

Coach,You never answered my question. Does Ronnie Carter not have the power to give an exemption to a rule in a special circumstance on his own? Did he not make the call himself on the girl from Perry Co.?

I don't know the answer to that.

Yes you are correct that the TSSAA staff does not pass the rules. However, they could be proactive and review the rule book and look for rules that should be changed, take them to the BOC and allow them to vote yes or no for changing the rules.

Good idea. How would you rewrite the rule?

Because a lot of kids are playing on summer ball teams for thier schools.

The high school baseball season has been over for ten weeks. It is now high school football season. If they are going to promote this as a high school tournament with underclassmen participating then it needs to be played before the next high school season (in this case, football) begins.

I don't know the answer to that.Good idea. How would you rewrite the rule?

I just remember that at least through how most aritcles read he either made the call or because of it's spontanity (sp?) that something was decided not at a normal TSSAA BOC or legistlative council meeting.

How would I rewrite the rule?

I think that in the next 5-10 years you are going to have major all-star games for high school juniors in baseball, basketball, and maybe football softball because of the over-growing popularity of high school athletics as a national phenomenon. I also don't think this will reach a point as to where we have a TCAC High School Junior game where the state is split east/west or Tennessee plays Kentucky. I think best case scneiro is games such as this baseball game showcasing the cream of the crop athletes nationally. Also remember that the NCAA only allows athletes to play in two all-star events before they enter an NCAA school or their eligibility will be forfeited.

That said, I think a perfectly reasonable rule would be to allow an athlete to play in one all-star game during the time he/she completes his/her junior season of eligibility and before his/her senior year of eligibility. Maybe even add the stipulation that the move must be signed off on by the player's coach and/or principal if the game occurs during the school year.

I just remember that at least through how most aritcles read he either made the call or because of it's spontanity (sp?) that something was decided not at a normal TSSAA BOC or legistlative council meeting.

How would I rewrite the rule?

I think that in the next 5-10 years you are going to have major all-star games for high school juniors in baseball, basketball, and maybe football softball because of the over-growing popularity of high school athletics as a national phenomenon. I also don't think this will reach a point as to where we have a TCAC High School Junior game where the state is split east/west or Tennessee plays Kentucky. I think best case scneiro is games such as this baseball game showcasing the cream of the crop athletes nationally. Also remember that the NCAA only allows athletes to play in two all-star events before they enter an NCAA school or their eligibility will be forfeited.

That said, I think a perfectly reasonable rule would be to allow an athlete to play in one all-star game during the time he/she completes his/her junior season of eligibility and before his/her senior year of eligibility. Maybe even add the stipulation that the move must be signed off on by the player's coach and/or principal if the game occurs during the school year.

great idea!

What about the tbca showcase? is this not considered an all-star game by the T$$AA?

It would work until someone like NIKE added a second all-star game. Then we would be having this discussion all over again.

Baseball is an easy fix. Play the games before school starts. Ohter sports, as this becomes more common, will be more difficult to deal with.

I don't know the answer to that.Good idea. How would you rewrite the rule?

I wouldn't have the rule. Let the high school coach, parents, & student decide what events the student will participate in. This is nothing more than the TSSAA making a rule to take the heat off of coaches.

The eligibility rules need to given a strong look as times have changed since they were put in place. If you don't keep up with the times you will be left behind. The TSSAA is working in the horse & buggy era and everyone else is sending men & women to the moon.