Public's should not play private schools

Why do you suppose private schools have been successful in recent years in Division I A/AA girls soccer? And how successful do you think those girls soccer teams would have been in Division I AAA?

because the teams are composed of almost all club players just like those of 3A schools they would compete very well just on a more even playing field

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because the teams are composed of almost all club players just like those of 3A schools they would compete very well just on a more even playing field

The biggest difference I have found in competing with the 3A schools is the "bench". Most of the private schools you are referring to have talent equivalent to the publics in their starting 11. It's after that 11 that some inequity is apparent. The depth isn't there.

I think the top 5 (private) teams in A/AA could compete fairly well in AAA, but beyond that I don't think the others would do as well.

You will find most state champion soccer teams are filled with club players (in A/AA and AAA). Look at Farragut. I believe their starting line up was 100% club players. In soccer I don't think it is just a public private issue, but a club non club issue. I just think it is harder for the more rural public schools in A/AA to get a club program going, or have to face travel to get to one.

I have stated before and will state again that I am totally in favor of a merit program over all other programs. This way, the weaker privates don't get "hurt" by the stronger privates, and everyone should have a relatively equal playing ground. I don't think it would be easy to do or to regulate, but I think it could be done. You would have to have 3 divisions (at least) in division 1 soccer, but I don't think that is a big deal (they have 5 in football, right?) If you did it correctly everyone would get a fair shot. Privates might "dominate" for a while, but then would get moved up. If they compete, they stay there, if they don't, they get moved back down, but in that time, someone else could have a chance to prove themselves.

I'm all for playing the best competition, and while you might not believe it, I do want equal playing fields across the board. I just don't think a split or multiplier are the ways to do it.

I'm not sure that's correct. Several of the starters on the A/AA state champion team from FRA were not club players. On the other hand, I would agree that girls' soccer has been played longer as a mainstream sport in metropolitan areas than in rural areas, and most of the small private schools will tend to be in metropolitan areas. So those schools may be more likely to have experienced soccer players among their female students than schools in rural areas (large or small). This more than anything may explain why a team like FRA struggled against AAA teams from metropolitan areas, where girls' soccer programs tend to be stronger and where because of the size of the student body the AAA team would tend to have a greater number of experienced players to choose from.

I think the distinction you see in A/AA girls' soccer is primarily a function of the fact that girls' soccer is a more significant youth sport in the urban areas where private schools are located. That means the girls that play at the high school level are more likely to have some valuable experience and not enter the game as near novices. It also means that the schools themselves dedicate more attention to the sport. This, I believe, is why six of the eight A/AA girls' soccer teams in the TSSAA state tournament came from Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga (the other two were from Jackson). I think it has a lot more to do with how much youth soccer is played in the areas where these schools are located than it does with whether the schools are public or private. This distinction may dissipate over time as girls' soccer becomes more prominent in rural areas as it has been for years in urban areas.

I think the top 5 (private) teams in A/AA could compete fairly well in AAA, but beyond that I don't think the others would do as well.

You will find most state champion soccer teams are filled with club players (in A/AA and AAA). Look at Farragut. I believe their starting line up was 100% club players. In soccer I don't think it is just a public private issue, but a club non club issue. I just think it is harder for the more rural public schools in A/AA to get a club program going, or have to face travel to get to one.

i think the privates have an unfair advantage for example last year CAK had the boys from jackson transfer to CAK whether you admit it or not they came more than halfway across the state to play soccer at CAK not for a better education not cause there parents transferred jobs (even though they ended up doing so) but becuase CAK is the State power in A/AA soccer I also know that during the club season that CAK tries to flirt with some of the knox areas best soccer players and get them to come to CAK and most of the time this happens at the middle school level but a few occasions have occurred on the highschool level but this is a level playing field i think these private schools that exists primarily for athletics has missed the bus on what they exist for and ultimately i think any private school that is made up of 50% athletes should be forced to compete in AAA in the small sports and in football i think the multiplier should stay the same if not be bumped up a little bit

i think the privates have an unfair advantage for example last year CAK had the boys from jackson transfer to CAK whether you admit it or not they came more than halfway across the state to play soccer at CAK not for a better education not cause there parents transferred jobs (even though they ended up doing so) but becuase CAK is the State power in A/AA soccer I also know that during the club season that CAK tries to flirt with some of the knox areas best soccer players and get them to come to CAK and most of the time this happens at the middle school level but a few occasions have occurred on the highschool level but this is a level playing field i think these private schools that exists primarily for athletics has missed the bus on what they exist for and ultimately i think any private school that is made up of 50% athletes should be forced to compete in AAA in the small sports and in football i think the multiplier should stay the same if not be bumped up a little bit

Wasn't there a Seymour player that transfered to Farragut last season?

Didn't the dad of the players that came from Jackson move to Knoxville because he got a coaching job at CAK or something?

Didn't the dad of the players that came from Jackson move to Knoxville because he got a coaching job at CAK or something?

Yes. He is the vice principal and head girls coach at CAK. His brother is a youth pastor in the area, so he dropped off his resume about 3 years ago.

The biggest difference I have found in competing with the 3A schools is the "bench". Most of the private schools you are referring to have talent equivalent to the publics in their starting 11. It's after that 11 that some inequity is apparent. The depth isn't there.

I have stated before and will state again that I am totally in favor of a merit program over all other programs. This way, the weaker privates don't get "hurt" by the stronger privates, and everyone should have a relatively equal playing ground. I don't think it would be easy to do or to regulate, but I think it could be done. You would have to have 3 divisions (at least) in division 1 soccer, but I don't think that is a big deal (they have 5 in football, right?) If you did it correctly everyone would get a fair shot. Privates might "dominate" for a while, but then would get moved up. If they compete, they stay there, if they don't, they get moved back down, but in that time, someone else could have a chance to prove themselves.

I'm all for playing the best competition, and while you might not believe it, I do want equal playing fields across the board. I just don't think a split or multiplier are the ways to do it.

With the merit system...then bigger schools say Rhea Co. or Anderson Co. might get moved down depending of their records? District play? How would you deceide which school would move down?

I know it would be easy to deceide which schools move up.

With the merit system...then bigger schools say Rhea Co. or Anderson Co. might get moved down depending of their records? District play? How would you deceide which school would move down?

I know it would be easy to deceide which schools move up.

Yeah, I think it would be really tough to regulate (and you bring up good points in the "moving down" problems). I also think it would be hard to judge based on records alone (some teams might have good records, but have a "weak" schedule).

I will defer the harder decisions to more knowledgeable people like Solomon!