Michael Vick

Following the story of Michael Vick, it is proving out to be the classic tale of a talented athlete with the world at his feet who loses the opportunity for glory because of a fatal character flaw.

In his case, it is his inability to discern right paths from wrong paths and the law of consequences. In essence, he will have thrown away millions for pennies.

In reading the Federal indictment, he and his cronies are alledged to:

A. Started this dog fighting ring around the time right after he signed his NFL contract,

B. Travelled around the South in some sort of circuit to fight their dogs,

C. Had "events" where the purse was routinely for $1000, but some matches went into the tens of thousands,

D. Participated fully and implicitly in the execution of animals that didn't meet their expectations,

E. The enterprise was thought out and planned extensively.

I have heard all of his supporters claim, rather bindly, all sorts of scenarios where Vick was either duped, was ignorant of what was happening at his property, or is a victim of a racially motivated selective prosecution.

If the indictment has a scintilla of truth, Vick was far from a casual bystander.

IMO, his career (like a certain cornerback we all know) is effectively over- and for the same reasons as stated above.

Athletically, he was a once in a generational player. As a person, he is contemptable.

Link to indictment:

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/7035302_37_1.pdf

Read this an tell us what you think.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony "T" Taylor, 34, of Hampton, VA., pleaded guilty Monday to federal dogfighting conspiracy charges in a plea agreement with prosecutors.

He is a co-defendent in the case with Purnell "P-Funk" Peace,Quanis "Q" Phillips, and Michael "Ookie" Vick, who all pleaded not guilty.

According to ESPN, "in addition to the tactical reasons for his plea, Taylor has been reported to feel that Vick betrayed him. Shortly after the first raid on the Vick fifteen-acre compound on Moonlight Road in Surry County, according to various reports, Vick had Taylor thrown off the property. It was part of Vick's effort to distance himself from the dogfighting operation, an effort that also includes a hasty sale of the property. The sale has not yet been finalized.

Even in the hearings on Thursday, Taylor was separating himself from Vick and the others. Vick, Phillips and Purnell Peace all appeared in court dressed in suits and ties. Taylor showed up in baggy, low slung jeans and a wrinkled yellow shirt. Vick, Phillips and Peace ignored Taylor during the short hearings and never looked at him as they gathered in the courtroom before the hearing began. "

The countdown begans as to how soon he flips like a pancake on the rest of the defendents. Clearly the noose is tightening on this case.

In related stories, Nike and Reebok have eliminated all traces of the Falcons QB from their portfolio of merchandise offerings for the coming season. Much like the demise of Don Imus, the corporate world is cutting ties with the radioactive Vick and distancing themselves as far as possible from the fallout.

Anyone see the interview on ESPN where the head of the Atlanta chapter of the NAACP was blasting everyone for jumping to conclusions about Vick and convicting him in the media before the trial?

This was after a rally in Atlanta for Vick in which a lot of people had signs including one I saw that said something about a "Grand Wizard"!

This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with race!! That kills me....

Anyway,the interviewer(Reece Davis I believe)put the guy from the NAACP on the spot when he said something to the effect of,"well aren't you(NAACP) the same ones who came out publicly & blasted the defendants in the Duke Lacrosse scandal before the trial when it turned out the charges were totally fabricated and were subsequently dropped?"

You should have seen the look on the guy's face! He didn't know what to say!

He stammered about and finally said "uh,well,uh,we were wrong in that instance..."

kills me...This ain't about white or black,it's about animal cruelty!

THE SQUAD

It is also about violating several statutes involving conspiracy, interstate gambling, and- this could be part of the future charges- drugs and money laundering.

Dogfighting rings, according to the FBI, are oftentimes excuses for, or have a high incidence of. drug transactions. This is not to imply that Vick was involved in drug transactions, but that could be some of the hammer they will pull out on the others-who were quite probably involved.

Why do I say this? Go back to the reason all of this started: One of the defendents, supposedly Vick's cousin, was picked up on drug selling charges. A warrant was issued to search the house. During the warrant search, the police saw evidence of a dog fighting enterprise, as well as a number of abused animals. A second warrant was issued that covered the dog fighting enterprise. They executed that warrant and found the extent of the problem.

In their research of the case, they discovered that one Michael Vick owned the property.

That is how Vick's involvement got disclosed.

These point get lost by his supporters.

Anyone see the interview on ESPN where the head of the Atlanta chapter of the NAACP was blasting everyone for jumping to conclusions about Vick and convicting him in the media before the trial?

This was after a rally in Atlanta for Vick in which a lot of people had signs including one I saw that said something about a "Grand Wizard"!

This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with race!! That kills me....

Anyway,the interviewer(Reece Davis I believe)put the guy from the NAACP on the spot when he said something to the effect of,"well aren't you(NAACP) the same ones who came out publicly & blasted the defendants in the Duke Lacrosse scandal before the trial when it turned out the charges were totally fabricated and were subsequently dropped?"

You should have seen the look on the guy's face! He didn't know what to say!

He stammered about and finally said "uh,well,uh,we were wrong in that instance..."

kills me...This ain't about white or black,it's about animal cruelty!

THE SQUAD

I watched it up until they said why pairs Hilton and Lindsy get to walk free after countless DUI's. What kills me about that statement is they dont know what they are talking about. Paris and Lyndsay are scum just like Vick but there is a difference between a misdemeanor DUI and a Felony animal cruelty. The NAACP thinks every rich black man or women that is in trouble is in trouble because white people dont like to see "black" people succeed. that is a bunch of bull. the NAACP in never a part of the solution but always part of the problem

I watched it up until they said why pairs Hilton and Lindsy get to walk free after countless DUI's. What kills me about that statement is they dont know what they are talking about. Paris and Lyndsay are scum just like Vick but there is a difference between a misdemeanor DUI and a Felony animal cruelty. The NAACP thinks every rich black man or women that is in trouble is in trouble because white people dont like to see "black" people succeed. that is a bunch of bull. the NAACP in never a part of the solution but always part of the problem

The main problem I have with all of this is the fact that Leonard Little was driving drunk, and killed an innocent woman. He got 90 days in jail, and he got back in the league. What Vick is accused of doing is horrible. But correct if I'm wrong fromthetop (I didn't read the whole indictment so I could be off), but he isn't named as a guy that executed any of the dogs. It said he witnessed some executions, but he didn't kill anything. Not a single dog and certainly not a person. I just don't see his career as being over.

Kev-O, the NAACP used to be progressive. When they were it was under the leadership of Ben Hooks is was a solution. Now, I tend to agree more with you. Ben Hooks drew fire from within the organization for not blaming elected officials or "the man".

Two incidents directly link Vick to executions,specifically:

-In the Federal indictment, item #83, in the section titled "Overt Acts", it is alleged that Vick and others in April of this year executed 8 dogs that failed "training."

-In one other instance (item #53), "Peace" (obviously the cheif executioner) was alledged to have specificlly consulted with Vick, and then executed an animal by electrocution.

Michael Vick is not being charged with animal cruelty. He is being charged as violating numerous Federal statutes as it relates to interstate commerce for the purpose of gambling, and for conspiracy to violate numerous Federal statutes as it relates to the enterprise of dog fighting. More charges are also being readied. And again, these are FEDERAL charges, not local or state charges.

Michael Vick may be yet found innocent of all these allegations. However, in the court of public opinion and public commerce, the hint of scandal and impropriety makes him radioactive. Allegations- if strong enough- regarding things like public corruption, sexual impropriety, crimes against children or innocents, or crimes of cruelty against animals will tarnish a person's reputation beyond repair and often trump actual facts. Business does not want it's image damaged by association with your damaged image. Society convicts quicker than the courts.

And that rule applies to everyone regardless of color.

Time to jump ship-

Co-defendants Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips are scheduled to appear in federal court in Richmond at the end of the week and are expected to accept their own plea agreements. Peace's hearing is at 9 a.m. (ET) on Thursday, while Phillips will appear on Friday at the same time. Plea agreements would clear them to testify against Vick.

This is the part that shows Vick (and his legal team) are not prepared for the deep end of the pool.

Collins R. Spencer III, a spokesman for Vick's defense team, said the lawyers were surprised by the plea deals.

"They didn't see it coming," Spencer said.

Three of the co-defendants have or will accept plea bargains. Vick and his team are being outflanked and are up against a wall.

It is becoming more and more clear that Michael Vick needs to also accept a plea bargain and take his punishment.

He does not need to go to trial, where it is also becoming more and more clear, he will get his clock cleaned.