The Former Super Seven

Antwan

Has anyone else noticed how many games there are between former super 7 teams and DI publics this year? I thought nobody would play the aid schools.

Former Super 7

Baylor (1): Lincoln County

Father Ryan (2): Hillwood...Overton

McCallie (2): Franklin...Tyner

Brentwood Academy (3) Independence...Ravenwood...Smyrna

MBA (4): Antioch...Independence...Hillsboro...Ravenwood

CBHS (6): Melrose...Ridgeway...Craigmont...Wooddale...Mitchell...G.W. Carver

MUS (4): Ridgeway...Kingsbury...Cookeville...G.W. Carver

That's 22 games by my count.

Also...the other DII AA teams this year are following the same trend

JPII (2) Greenbrier...Westwood

BGA (1) East Hickman

Ensworth (2) Stone Memorial...Warren County

Knox Webb (3) Austin East...Catholic...Sweetwater

Briarcrest (2) G.W. Carver...Sheffield

ECS (4) Cordova...Memphis Overton...Treadwell...G.W. Carver

That's 14 more. Not counting DI A teams there are 36 games between DII AA and DI publics. That is also not counting games between DI privates and DI publics.

I guess the surprising ones are BA and MBA accounting for 7 of their 20 games against publics. That's not counting out of state publics either.

So much for not being able to get games...huh?

not trying to be nit picky, but Christian Brothers actually plays 6....add Carver to the list you have.

also, anyone notice a trend with the D2AA schools out of the west region and the number of DI teams that play two or more of the four private schools in the west on this list? wheres germantown, collierville, houston, bolton, etc...you know the 5a teams that claim to play in the "sec" of high school football in tennessee (Region 8-5a). i dont believe it either...well, take away bolton, i applaud them for getting into the bridges kickoff classic, but i suppose two beatings, one at the hands of MUS and one from Christian Brothers in consecutive years, were enough. lol.

so instead, the D2 teams are relegated to the carvers, raleigh egypts, sheffields, mitchells, etc. of the memphis city schools, as opposed to the county teams that might actually be able to compete. pathetic on their part if you were to ask me.

not trying to be nit picky, but Christian Brothers actually plays 6....add Carver to the list you have.

also, anyone notice a trend with the D2AA schools out of the west region and the number of DI teams that play two or more of the four private schools in the west on this list? wheres germantown, collierville, houston, bolton, etc...you know the 5a teams that claim to play in the "sec" of high school football in tennessee (Region 8-5a). i dont believe it either...well, take away bolton, i applaud them for getting into the bridges kickoff classic, but i suppose two beatings, one at the hands of MUS and one from Christian Brothers in consecutive years, were enough. lol.

so instead, the D2 teams are relegated to the carvers, raleigh egypts, sheffields, mitchells, etc. of the memphis city schools, as opposed to the county teams that might actually be able to compete. pathetic on their part if you were to ask me.

I wouldn't call Ridgeway or Melrose pushovers. They are as good or better than any of the other teams you mentioned.

I corrected the mistake. There may be others.

It's a great trend, and I hope it continues. I think that as some of the old guard DI coaches move on, the new blood does not have the same prejudices, and they want to play tough teams in non-league games.

Makes for some good games that will generate a lot of local interest.

The inner city or metro schools play the D2 private schools in a home & away because they have good fan attendance which amounts to money in the bank. When two inner city teams play you often don't have more than 250 paying fans watching the game.

Exactly. It's clear the problem isn't playing private schools, it's playing them in region and postseason games.

I think that the vast majority of public schools - not all just most - don't want to play private schools at all - regular season, region or post season. Private schools in both D1 and D2 have trouble filling their schedules every year. For example, CPA has had to schedule games with Riverdale and MBA. They play a first year program and 3 D2 teams this year just so that they will have 10 games.

JMHO

Has anyone else noticed how many games there are between former super 7 teams and DI publics this year? I thought nobody would play the aid schools.

Former Super 7

Baylor (1): Lincoln County

Father Ryan (2): Hillwood...Overton

McCallie (2): Franklin...Tyner

Brentwood Academy (3) Independence...Ravenwood...Smyrna

MBA (4): Antioch...Independence...Hillsboro...Ravenwood

CBHS (6): Melrose...Ridgeway...Craigmont...Wooddale...Mitchell...G.W. Carver

MUS (4): Ridgeway...Kingsbury...Cookeville...G.W. Carver

That's 22 games by my count.

Also...the other DII AA teams this year are following the same trend

JPII (2) Greenbrier...Westwood

BGA (1) East Hickman

Ensworth (2) Stone Memorial...Warren County

Knox Webb (3) Austin East...Catholic...Sweetwater

Briarcrest (2) G.W. Carver...Sheffield

ECS (4) Cordova...Memphis Overton...Treadwell...G.W. Carver

That's 14 more. Not counting DI A teams there are 36 games between DII AA and DI publics. That is also not counting games between DI privates and DI publics.

I guess the surprising ones are BA and MBA accounting for 7 of their 20 games against publics. That's not counting out of state publics either.

So much for not being able to get games...huh?

you're right, it's great. I'm particularly excited about MBA-Hillsboro, which is one of the oldest rivalries in middle TN, finally being renewed. But let's be honest here. This is a new phenomenon. Looking at RRR's site, that is the same number of games MBA has had with TN public schools the last 5 years. And only 2 of those were with middle TN hs teams (Lavergne).

I wouldn't call Ridgeway or Melrose pushovers. They are as good or better than any of the other teams you mentioned.

I corrected the mistake. There may be others.

i wasnt referring to either of those two teams as being "schedule fillers." i was stating that the g'towns and other 5a schools in the memphis area want nothing to do with the competitive private schools in the way of scheduling football games.

sorry for the mixup.

i wasnt referring to either of those two teams as being "schedule fillers." i was stating that the g'towns and other 5a schools in the memphis area want nothing to do with the competitive private schools in the way of scheduling football games. sorry for the mixup.

I think some of that is because most have 7 or 8 region games. They don't have any trouble filling their schedules. When the 2nd tie-breaker is overallrecord...that has to be taken into account.

It's a great trend, and I hope it continues. I think that as some of the old guard DI coaches move on, the new blood does not have the same prejudices, and they want to play tough teams in non-league games. Makes for some good games that will generate a lot of local interest.

Absolutely...I for one have never had a problem playing any private in the regular season. I'm glad to see this too.

The inner city or metro schools play the D2 private schools in a home & away because they have good fan attendance which amounts to money in the bank. When two inner city teams play you often don't have more than 250 paying fans watching the game.

so why play wooddale at halle instead of at christian brothers? i ask this because which do you think will attract more people, thus increasing, in theory, the money collected at the gate and concessions: halle stadium or tom nix stadium? (hint: the stadium is next to a school and not a bunch of street ball courts and a police precinct.)

also, the city/other schools that play there wouldnt get a cut of the gate, it would only be Christian Brothers, Wooddale and the tssaa profiting from the game, not to mention the field/facilities are about a gazillion times nicer. but i guess its the only way we could fill our schedule. kind of a shame in my book. oh well.