Sevier County Down

tnfootball4

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i hear the smokie bears are down too. They still have the cotter kid dont they and the thomas kid? How is there qb i know it is going to be hard to replace watson.

The Bears will definitely take a step back this year from where they have been the previous couple of seasons. How far they will drop however, is anyones guess. We lost many two-way starters and most of our playmakers on both sides of the ball. Gone on the defensive side is two-thirds of our secondary, our best LB and our best down lineman. On offense we lost our top two wideouts, our FB and a couple of good linemen. Of course the biggest void left behind was by Cory Watson who will not only be missed at QB and CB but also the big plays he provided with his electrifying punt returns.

On the bright side we still return the speedy TB tandem of Tyler Thomas and Shawn Hodge. I am especially interested in seeing what the coaching staff does with a healthy Hodge (he only played in the first two games before he suffered a high ankle sprain the very first play of the Karns game and was very limited the rest of the year). Senior Taylor Helton will take over the starting QB duties and even though he is not the athlete that Watson was he may be a little better passer and a is a decent runner in his own right. Hopefully part time contributers Andrew Feezel, Daniel Cotter and some underclassmen can step up at the WR positions to take some pressure off of the running attack. The O line will be anchored by a very good (and large, 6'-4"/300 + lbs) Will Hewitt but only time will tell if his inexperienced linemates will meld into a solid, cohesive unit.

The defense will be short on experience with all of the departures and is quite frankly full of question marks. Again Feezel and Cotter at LB's are experienced, heady playmakers that you can rebuild around but I am just not sure what to expect from the remaining cast. How will the revamped secondary holdup without Watson and Feezel manning the corners? Will the D line be physical enough without Chad Henderson in the middle to not get manhandled by the better lines? Who will step up and replace Austin Williams and All Region LB Cory Baxter? Hopefully Coach Ratledge can coach up this bunch of youngsters real fast because I fear we will struggle early while every one gains that much needed experience.

Like I mentioned previously we can't help but drop off some from the consecutive 9-3 seasons that we posted previously. There is just too much talent and experience to be replaced plus coupled with the strides that SH, Bearden and JC have made in the off season (and yes DB will also drop off some too but by the time we play them, the Tribe will probably be much improved). Based solely on what I know we have coming back and with no crystal ball available to reveal such intangibles such as injuries, new player development, lucky/unlucky bounces, etc. I could see this team going anywhere from 5-5 to 7-3 and fighting for the fourth playoff spot in Region 1.

Maybe someone with closer ties to the program (who follows the Frosh and JV teams better) can add some insight about the incoming underclassmen because I know very little of what to expect from this group except that they are going to get a crash course in varsity football 101 when they take the field against a very good WB squad in the season opener.

Don't count Sevier County out so soon! We have a very tough defense. Josh Carr is a really hard hitter and will make some big plays on defense. The linebackers are also tough. I think the defense will continue its record of holding other teams to minimal scores.

Yep, we mourn the loss of Corey Watson, (who is playing for Tenn Tech) this year. The skill of our backs and receivers will carry us through though. Receiver Cotter, backs Tyler Thomas, Andrew Feezel and Shawn Hodge are looking great.

Our offensive line anchored by huge and strong Will Hewitt will open lots of holes for the backs. Juniors Steven Michaluk and Patrick Sutton, Honorable Mention All-Conference for 2006 are both back and stronger than ever. As center, Steven seldom mishandles the balls.

We have a great freshman quarterback in Danny Chastain, who looks alot like a young Corey Watson. I'm hoping he'll get some playing time this year.

I look to Sevier County to make the play-offs for the 14th year in a row. I don't know why everyone is saying Sevier County is down. The team is looking good. They are excited and ready to get the season started. They're not down by any means!

I watched the scrimmage against Clinton and you are correct. They really did not look down, looked good. Defense is still questionable though at times but ratledge will get them on track. 14th year in playoffs is very possible. Hav'nt seen the Chastain kid yet. Hope you are right about that.

This is one Gallatin fan that will be pullin for SC this year. Good luck to a great group of kids. Heard good things about them from the McCallie camp.

Don't count Sevier County out so soon! We have a very tough defense. Josh Carr is a really hard hitter and will make some big plays on defense. The linebackers are also tough. I think the defense will continue its record of holding other teams to minimal scores.

Yep, we mourn the loss of Corey Watson, (who is playing for Tenn Tech) this year. The skill of our backs and receivers will carry us through though. Receiver Cotter, backs Tyler Thomas, Andrew Feezel and Shawn Hodge are looking great.

Our offensive line anchored by huge and strong Will Hewitt will open lots of holes for the backs. Juniors Steven Michaluk and Patrick Sutton, Honorable Mention All-Conference for 2006 are both back and stronger than ever. As center, Steven seldom mishandles the balls.

We have a great freshman quarterback in Danny Chastain, who looks alot like a young Corey Watson. I'm hoping he'll get some playing time this year.

I look to Sevier County to make the play-offs for the 14th year in a row. I don't know why everyone is saying Sevier County is down. The team is looking good. They are excited and ready to get the season started. They're not down by any means!

good luck