Say it ain't so...

That's horrible.

So basically he's getting the screw-over because someone at Vandy wasn't up-to-date on their NCAA compliance with the rules?

Yeah it does stink but from what I have seen from Roger this will just be a bump in the road; the kid will rebound, move on w/ his life, and be just fine.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's horrible.

So basically he's getting the screw-over because someone at Vandy wasn't up-to-date on their NCAA compliance with the rules?

I don't think it has as much to do with them not knowing the rule as it does that it all fell like it did. When they have 85 spots to fill, they're going to get all they can for it. There will spots open up when players graduate but they never know what's going to be open by the time the season gets started. VU had a captain from last year get another year from the NCAA so that used up one, they had a couple of players that were high on the recruiting list that transferred from other schools so that used up a couple more, and then they normally award a scholarship or two to a 4th or 5th year senior that has earned it, so the 85 fills up quickly. VU doesn't lose many players due to early NFL exit, flunking out, or getting in trouble, so their spots are limited. Even though he had moved into the #3 rotation/special teams position, that's still not enough yet for them to award a full scholarship.(which is basically what they would be doing if he's part of the 85) If they were under the 85, he would continue to be in the #3 rotation/special teams position, get the snaps in practice, have a shot to play, and maybe move up. If he's sitting at #86 due to the scholarship, it means that he can't play in the games, and if he can't play in the games, there's no point in the coaches giving him the snaps in practice. Practice time and reps are so limited that they've got to get the most bang for their buck.

I don't think it has as much to do with them not knowing the rule as it does that it all fell like it did. When they have 85 spots to fill, they're going to get all they can for it. There will spots open up when players graduate but they never know what's going to be open by the time the season gets started. VU had a captain from last year get another year from the NCAA so that used up one, they had a couple of players that were high on the recruiting list that transferred from other schools so that used up a couple more, and then they normally award a scholarship or two to a 4th or 5th year senior that has earned it, so the 85 fills up quickly. VU doesn't lose many players due to early NFL exit, flunking out, or getting in trouble, so their spots are limited. Even though he had moved into the #3 rotation/special teams position, that's still not enough yet for them to award a full scholarship.(which is basically what they would be doing if he's part of the 85) If they were under the 85, he would continue to be in the #3 rotation/special teams position, get the snaps in practice, have a shot to play, and maybe move up. If he's sitting at #86 due to the scholarship, it means that he can't play in the games, and if he can't play in the games, there's no point in the coaches giving him the snaps in practice. Practice time and reps are so limited that they've got to get the most bang for their buck.

Did he have any idea this might happen before the past month?

Thanks NoDoubt for the explanation. I wasn't trying to make it a big issue, but I was really looking forward to seeing him play again this year, and I'm not particularly a Vandy fan (even LESS now). I know firsthand that he's a smart young man, and he's not going to let football come before his education. As much as it is sometimes hard to believe, football is NOT everything. He is wise to stay on the path to bettering his future. And it will be a bright one. As for all us Bobcat fans...I'm sure we'll see him around and as much as we'll miss seeing him go on to play college, we won't forget our "Mr. Football" at GHS.

Thanks for the thought GBCat. As much as we've all lived and breathed football for a number of years, it pales in comparison with the rest of what matters. Again, we're disappointed but having a successful future is what we're most focused on. I'm sure he'll put the same passion into preparing for his future as he has in football and it'll pay off in the long run. We're blessed in that we'll have two attending VU this fall so we can't complain. I'm just kind of worried about them sharing an apartment in Nashville...lol

Did he have any idea this might happen before the past month?

Probably an idea that it could happen but up until a few weeks ago, not that it would happen. The team was under the 85 count. Then add in a transfer or two and a captain being awarded an extra year due to medical reasons and the open slots that were there, filled back up.