Say it ain't so...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He should play somewhere in 1-AA, if he has that ability, and if he's a huge success Vanderbilt will be proven wrong. If he's an average or less-than-average player at a lower level, Vanderbilt will be right. They didn't want him to begin with, that should have been a sign it would be hard to ever get athletic scholarship dollars there.

He should play somewhere in 1-AA, if he has that ability, and if he's a huge success Vanderbilt will be proven wrong. If he's an average or less-than-average player at a lower level, Vanderbilt will be right. They didn't want him to begin with, that should have been a sign it would be hard to ever get athletic scholarship dollars there.

I have no doubt he could play 1-AA b/c he is a decent athlete; I believe there is something he could do at Vandy if they would find the right spot for him.....

Heard a rumor that Vandy's has no recognition for talent and that Roger was overlooked again for athletic scholarships. They need to recheck their eyesight.

Rumor is he chose to no longer be a Commodore....maybe NoDoubt can fill us in....?

Just out of curiosity who was he plaing for in that video; it didnt look like a green uniform and they didnt look big enough to be college.

I hate to sound smart about it, but he's shown nothing at the college level yet, until he does there's no use discussing where he ought to be playing. There are plenty of 1-AA schools where he can get a very good education, many are better academic schools than most in 1-A. I just want him to get on the field somewhere so this complaining about Vanderbilt (this is not a new subject) can stop. Vandy knows what they need and want as far as players a lot better than us.

I hate to sound smart about it, but he's shown nothing at the college level yet, until he does there's no use discussing where he ought to be playing. There are plenty of 1-AA schools where he can get a very good education, many are better academic schools than most in 1-A. I just want him to get on the field somewhere so this complaining about Vanderbilt (this is not a new subject) can stop. Vandy knows what they need and want as far as players a lot better than us.

I just voiced my opinion I am not arguing; I dont believe he will transfer regardless if he plays football or not. He is and always has been a 4.0 student and this kid will not be defined on the football field and you can trust me on that.

I didn't say you were arguing. This has been discussed many times before, though. Why doesn't Vanderbilt want him, he's too good to be playing 1-AA, etc. Vanderbilt apparently does have an eye for talent, they went into Birmingham and got a receiver Auburn and Alabama didn't want and now he's the best in the conference.

Just out of curiosity who was he plaing for in that video; it didnt look like a green uniform and they didnt look big enough to be college.

After I heard this said yesterday (still MAY be a rumor, but came from a fairly good source), I searched online and found this video of Vandy's Black and Gold game. This video of the interception confirmed part of what I heard yesterday, that he was the only person to get two interceptions at the Black and Gold game.. I don't know where this video came from where it says "representing Greenbrier" but it is apparently at Vandy because Roger's Vandy # is #4. I can only assume where it says the Roger Herndon show is over means for good. The rumor I heard is that he left the team after he didn't receive an athletic scholarship. I believe he's already on an academic scholarship.

Like I said, NoDoubt could clear this up, but I hope it's all a misunderstanding.

After watching for replies or an explanation, I searched a little further online and found this:

This stinks for Roger. It has nothing to do with talent or abilities, but just NCAA eligibility it appears. If you read all the messages on this link, it makes it a little clearer, but still is a stinking shame. I am only assuming that the reply by Cats1617 is "from the horses mouth" because the Herndons (Roger and Kyle) Bobcat jerseys were 16 and 17.

http://vanderbilt.Unapproved Website/showmsg.asp?h...mp;mid=97303426

After watching for replies or an explanation, I searched a little further online and found this:

This stinks for Roger. It has nothing to do with talent or abilities, but just NCAA eligibility it appears. If you read all the messages on this link, it makes it a little clearer, but still is a stinking shame. I am only assuming that the reply by Cats1617 is "from the horses mouth" because the Herndons (Roger and Kyle) Bobcat jerseys were 16 and 17.

http://vanderbilt.Unapproved Website/showmsg.asp?h...mp;mid=97303426

You would be correct GBCat2. That would be the "horses mouth"...lol

It's not an issue of Vanderbilt wanting him or whether he could play, he had proven that and he was going to be rotating at #3 Safety and playing special teams. It's an issue of VU not being able to use him as a counter due to them giving out all 85 scholarships.

Let me explain.... (I've been doing this a lot here lately...LOL)

Roger has gotten caught by the scholarship numbers. Roger is receiving a scholarship from an outside agency and it covers tuition and fees for the year. Because Roger was recruited by Vanderbilt throughout high school, the NCAA has determined that Roger's scholarship, which is provided by an outside agency, has to be considered the same as an athletic scholarship. The problem for Roger is that the VU coaches have already given out the full 85 allotment of scholarships and his particular scholarship would put them over the limit. He would have the option of continuing to practice but wouldn't be able to suit up unless the team is below the 85 count.(a current player would have to quit or get kicked off) Even though he had moved up to the #3 group that rotates at Safety, if he doesn't have the option to play in the game, the coaches can't really give him the snaps in practice that he was getting before.(they can't rotate him at #3 Safety if there's a chance he won't be able to suit up) They've got to use the reps to prepare players that may step on the field so he would probably have to move backward on the depth chart. It's a catch-22 situation... he needs the practice and playing time to be able to earn a spot within the 85 count, but, he can't get the practice and playing time because he can't be part OF the 85.

Another option would be to give up the scholarship and be a true walk-on and he would never miss a beat. He'd still be at #3 Safety and play special teams. But who in their right mind is going to give up $48,000 a year? He loves football as much as anything but that's a no-brainer.

After sitting out last year due to the NCAA transfer rules, he's not interested in sitting again this year. After studying over it, he decided that his best option was to let the football go and focus on his education. He's disappointed because he had moved up on the depth chart and he had a good spring. (He was tied for most INTs in the spring scrimmages.)

He met with the coaches week before last to discuss his decision and while they were disappointed, they understood. Everyone from the football coaches to the strength coaches to the trainers, have offered him a position to work with them if he's interested. They've invited him to continue to use the facilities to workout if he wishes and told him if he needs anything, at any time, to just let them know. He's continued to stay in contact, and visit with them since he left.

This has all just quietly came about in the last three weeks. Coach Johnson explained it a little when he was on 104.5 a couple of weeks back when a caller had called in to ask about Roge but other than that, it's been pretty low key. Again, it's disappointing but in the long run the education is what matters. He's already looking into a 5th year Masters program.

It's not an issue of Vanderbilt wanting him or whether he could play, he had proven that and he was going to be rotating at #3 Safety and playing special teams. It's an issue of VU not being able to use him as a counter due to them giving out all 85 scholarships.

Roger has gotten caught by the scholarship numbers. Roger is receiving a scholarship from an outside agency and it covers tuition and fees for the year. Because Roger was recruited by Vanderbilt throughout high school, the NCAA has determined that Roger's scholarship, which is provided by an outside agency, has to be considered the same as an athletic scholarship. The problem for Roger is that the VU coaches have already given out the full 85 allotment of scholarships and his particular scholarship would put them over the limit. He would have the option of continuing to practice but wouldn't be able to suit up unless the team is below the 85 count.(a current player would have to quit or get kicked off) Even though he had moved up to the #3 group that rotates at Safety, if he doesn't have the option to play in the game, the coaches can't really give him the snaps in practice that he was getting before.(they can't rotate him at #3 Safety if there's a chance he won't be able to suit up) They've got to use the reps to prepare players that may step on the field so he would probably have to move backward on the depth chart. It's a catch-22 situation... he needs the practice and playing time to be able to earn a spot within the 85 count, but, he can't get the practice and playing time because he can't be part OF the 85.

Another option would be to give up the scholarship and be a true walk-on and he would never miss a beat. He'd still be at #3 Safety and play special teams. But who in their right mind is going to give up $48,000 a year? He loves football as much as anything but that's a no-brainer.

After sitting out last year due to the NCAA transfer rules, he's not interested in sitting again this year. After studying over it, he decided that his best option was to let the football go and focus on his education. He's disappointed because he had moved up on the depth chart and he had a good spring. (He was tied for most INTs in the spring scrimmages.)

He met with the coaches week before last to discuss his decision and while they were disappointed, they understood. Everyone from the football coaches to the strength coaches to the trainers, have offered him a position to work with them if he's interested. They've invited him to continue to use the facilities to workout if he wishes and told him if he needs anything, at any time, to just let them know. He's continued to stay in contact, and visit with them since he left.

This has all just quietly came about in the last three weeks. Coach Johnson explained it a little when he was on 104.5 a couple of weeks back when a caller had called in to ask about Roge but other than that, it's been pretty low key. Again, it's disappointing but in the long run the education is what matters. He's already looking into a 5th year Masters program.

Thanks NoDoubt for the explanation. I wasn't trying to make it a big issue, but I was really looking forward to seeing him play again this year, and I'm not particularly a Vandy fan (even LESS now). I know firsthand that he's a smart young man, and he's not going to let football come before his education. As much as it is sometimes hard to believe, football is NOT everything. He is wise to stay on the path to bettering his future. And it will be a bright one. As for all us Bobcat fans...I'm sure we'll see him around and as much as we'll miss seeing him go on to play college, we won't forget our "Mr. Football" at GHS.

That's horrible.

So basically he's getting the screw-over because someone at Vandy wasn't up-to-date on their NCAA compliance with the rules?