Alcoa scrimmage

ILuvsports

Alcoa looked pretty good for the first time out in a scrimmage against 4-A power Morristown West. They had a down and distance scrimmage instead of the 10 play deal. Alcoa had the ball 4 times and lead 28-7 before rain stopped the scrimmage. Alcoa TB Troy Hodge scored the first TD on Alcoas first drive. Randall Cobb the connected a few times with soph. TE Tyler Robinson with the last ending in a 1 yd TD. The Robinson kid looks like a beast. On the next series Cobb broke a run on the first play about 60 yds for a td and the last score came from Alcoa FR tb darrell warren, the cousin of former alcoa standout brandon warren. The tyson kid who is also a freshman had a great scrimmage also with about 35 yds on 3 carries from FB. Did anyone else watch this scrimmage? Oh by the way MO West is huge and they will be a really good team this year, I believe they are picked number 4 in 4-A so good luck to those guys. Coach woods does a great job with them.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcoa looked pretty good for the first time out in a scrimmage against 4-A power Morristown West. They had a down and distance scrimmage instead of the 10 play deal. Alcoa had the ball 4 times and lead 28-7 before rain stopped the scrimmage. Alcoa TB Troy Hodge scored the first TD on Alcoas first drive. Randall Cobb the connected a few times with soph. TE Tyler Robinson with the last ending in a 1 yd TD. The Robinson kid looks like a beast. On the next series Cobb broke a run on the first play about 60 yds for a td and the last score came from Alcoa FR tb darrell warren, the cousin of former alcoa standout brandon warren. The tyson kid who is also a freshman had a great scrimmage also with about 35 yds on 3 carries from FB. Did anyone else watch this scrimmage? Oh by the way MO West is huge and they will be a really good team this year, I believe they are picked number 4 in 4-A so good luck to those guys. Coach woods does a great job with them.

I was able to watch both the Morristown West/Alcoa scrimmage and the Oak Ridge/Maryville scrimmage. Alcoa by far had the fastest team, I watched Friday. Especially on offense. My concerns for Alcoa will be at LB position and O & D line size.

The biggest surprise was FR Tyson and Warren making such a big impact playing with the 1st team.

Yeah I hated I missed the scrimmage. I keep hearing about Robinson and how he's going to be a huge part of our offense. Has he gotten bigger since last year? How did other D-1 prospects like Sommer and Thompson look? Are Warren and Tyson both going to be starters come Week 0?

I was able to watch both the Morristown West/Alcoa scrimmage and the Oak Ridge/Maryville scrimmage. Alcoa by far had the fastest team, I watched Friday. Especially on offense. My concerns for Alcoa will be at LB position and O & D line size.

The biggest surprise was FR Tyson and Warren making such a big impact playing with the 1st team.

At this point I think they will have a tough time matching up with Maryville's size. What are your thoughts BCsportsfan? Very much appreciated.

I agree with most that LB's will be the immediate concern. MoWest's line was big enough to lock up our d-line but the LB's could not make the play past the line of scrimmage nor could they cover the short route. Some one will step up, they always do but the underclassmen that are going to make an immediate contribution both FR and SO will be impressive.

I would without a doubt agree that the LB postion is the biggest concern for Alcoa at the moment. I guess the one thing they have going for them at that position is one of their top 2 defensive players LB troy hodge only played one series in the scrimmage. Tyson is already the starting fullback and Warren right now is 3rd at TB behind hodge and soph. jaron toney who has also looked impressive. I was also pretty impressed with backup QB chase james who i believe is the nephew of former maryville rebel standout carl stewart

I agree with most that LB's will be the immediate concern. MoWest's line was big enough to lock up our d-line but the LB's could not make the play past the line of scrimmage nor could they cover the short route. Some one will step up, they always do but the underclassmen that are going to make an immediate contribution both FR and SO will be impressive.

At this point I think they will have a tough time matching up with Maryville's size. What are your thoughts BCsportsfan? Very much appreciated.

I think a good measuring stick for Alcoa will be the August 14th Oak Ridge scrimmage. OR has a big OL & DL. OR's defensive line gave Maryville's OL "fits". It will be interesting to see how Alcoa's spread offensive handle's OR's big DL?

Plus, OR has a pretty strong power running game. Maryville was able to keep it in check most of the scrimmage. This will be a BIG test for Alcoa's DL and LB's.

Yes, Troy Hodge's only played one series at LB. He was icing a shoulder the remaining part of the scrimmage. Hope that does not become an issue?

Alcoa scrimmages South Doyle, Tuesday, August 7th. I am not sure if it will be at SD or Alcoa?? A time would also be nice to know if someone knows...............

-BlountCountySportsFan

Tomorrow (the 7th) Alcoa goes back to South Doyle. On Friday the 10th they will host Powell and the following Tuesday (14th) Alcoa goes to Oak Ridge.

Hodges shoulder will be fine. had the scrimmage continued he was going to come back and play against SD and Farragut. I believe the plan of the alcoa staff was to only play hodge a few series the entire day.

Alcoa will give Maryville all they want this year and more if the D comes around.

Maryville's Offense is ahead of Alcoa's Defense at this time.....................

Sommer on Shiver will be a good matchup. But no answer for Aaron Douglas.

IMO, the Maryville OL & run game will be Alcoa's biggest challenge even if the LB's come around. Bart Hick's will be missed!