Alcoa scrimmage

ILuvsports

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How'd the scrimmage go today?

7-2 Alcoa. Still need to shore up the middle of the defense. Rotated a bunch of players. The balance of the offense is really nice. Running lanes really open up with the spread. Play action very effective as Randall has become a master at executing. Honestly, Coach Rankin is one of the best at developing QB's. Randall is very lucky to have him. Just need to answer some questions up the middle. BCSportsfan's descriptions from the other day were pretty dead on.

I did not think Alcoa as a team played with the intensity they did against Morristown west.

The Offense continues to show they can score at will. The running game did not "click" quite as well as it did in the MW scrimmage, but still very very effective!

The defense is really showing it's youth and inexperience. Especially against the run. A lot work and time is needed to continue the development of this young team. Rankin has the best player in place.................they are just young. They will get better!

There is no "head hunters" that we've got use to seeing on defense.

Development of the DL, LB & DE positions will be key if Alcoa wants to play for another 2A championship.

I did not think Alcoa as a team played with the intensity they did against Morristown west.

The Offense continues to show they can score at will. The running game did not "click" quite as well as it did in the MW scrimmage, but still very very effective!

The defense is really showing it's youth and inexperience. Especially against the run. A lot work and time is needed to continue the development of this young team. Rankin has the best player in place.................they are just young. They will get better!

There is no "head hunters" that we've got use to seeing on defense.

Development of the DL, LB & DE positions will be key if Alcoa wants to play for another 2A championship.

Excellent analysis BCsportsfan! I saw the same weaknesses. South Doyle did a nice job on the slants/screens/drag patterns. They broke some pretty nice runs off tackle. DE was able to be turned inside several times. I was a little surprised the tornadoes didn't take it inside very much. I guess you don't need too when you have that kind of speed outside! Cobb looked strong on the option run for the touchdown. Sommer seemed to be frustrated with the backup quarterbacks timing on several pass plays. He made the right read but didn't get the ball their on time. SD is definitely improved. Should be a interesting year.

After looking close at Alcoa's schedule, I noticed the tough part of the 2A regional games will be in Oct. & Nov. It will work well with this young defense. Having 3 or 4 tough out of region games to develop and mature will be great. I feel Coach Nix's will have them really for a good play-off run!

I see Sweetwater as good challenge this season. I expect them to have a strong running team this year. Glad to see that game being played later in the season.

-BlountCountySportsFan

I see Sweetwater as good challenge this season. I expect them to have a strong running team this year. Glad to see that game being played later in the season.

I also think the sweetwater game will be a good one. The Johnkins kid is probably the second best player in the league behind Sommer. If they can find a way to get him the ball more they will be tough to beat. I do not look for them to lose to anyone else beside Alcoa....Unless Webb beats them the week before!

By the By.....The scrimmage with powell will start at 5:30 tomorrow at Alcoa.

I also think the sweetwater game will be a good one. The Johnkins kid is probably the second best player in the league behind Sommer. If they can find a way to get him the ball more they will be tough to beat. I do not look for them to lose to anyone else beside Alcoa....Unless Webb beats them the week before!

By the By.....The scrimmage with powell will start at 5:30 tomorrow at Alcoa.

Also Sweetwater has demonstrated a very strong running game in the scrimmages behind RB, Latham & 6,2" 235lbs FB, Ferguson. The key will be how well the new QB runs the offense.

Alcoa plays Maryville in week 1, August 31st @ Alcoa.

Yea I also agree with what BC says about when Alcoa plays the tough part of the 2a schedule. I would've loved to have seen Sweetwater and Alcoa go at it in sept. sometime! The new QB can throw a decent ball and Johnkins can definitly go up and get it! (he should go D1) Their will be very few teams that can use single coverage on him, if they don't he will make them pay, and if they do that will open up the run even more! Pick your poison. Besides the two backs you mentioned, they also have a couple more that can be dangerous also, and some good tightends ie slants/drags/screens. Qb is also a starting pointguard in basketball, so leadership shouldn't be a problem. Defense is no slouch either so far. I would be very surprised to see Alcoa run away with it this year like most think will happen again. Should be a very interesting year in reg. 2!

I would be very surprised to see Alcoa run away with it this year like most think will happen again. Should be a very interesting year in reg. 2!

Agreed, Alcoa will have to work hard for their wins. They are talented, but young. Their talent level and depth will be closer to a 2A team this year as opposed to 5A talent the last couple of years.

Good luck to Sweetwater and the rest of 2A Region 2!

Alcoa scrimmage with Powell today was not much of a test...Offense still looked pretty solid, scoring evey possession but one...Cobb' passing was a little off the mark on short routes, but effective on third down when he needed it. Hodge was solid running the ball and Tyler Robinson was a beast. You really have to account for every skill player on offense because they all are getting touches in this system. Defensively, jaime hodge looked to take a step forward at middle linebacker, josh dossett and robinson looked good at the d-ends...I think Powell only scored once on a very short drive after a Cobb INT...They are getting better on both sides of the ball, looks like they are starting to find the right people for the right positions....It will still be VERY hard for any team to break off the BIG play against the Tornadoes, the secondary is very deep with Cobb coming in on dime situations.