Heat

all2001state

I knew Smith Co. had something in mind when they built their indoor practice facility. Smith County school board will call a band on all football practice outdoors. Then Gordonsville cant practice for several days because they dont have an indoor field. This will give them another leg up on the little 1A school in their county. That away to help guarantee they wont lose to their smaller 1A rival the second game of the season.

It's amazing to me that every post in here is a serious discussion regarding practicing in the heat and here comes postaldude ready to spew forth his negativity toward the owls. Looks like somebody's got a case of feather envy! I don't think the facility has A/C in the practice area, only weight room and offices. So...metal building+105 heat index = OVEN.

When I was in training in the Army they had rules and we could not train if the "wet bubble" ?? was at a certain point. And we really were being trained to kill people. Football is only training to injure people

Same rules in the Marines. The Wet Bulb Globe Temperature index, which is a little different than normal temperature readings, stated all strenuous activity be halted at 90F or higher. Obviously the people who came up with 90F had never been to MCB Twentynine Palms, NTC or the Middle East, have they DelTavian?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TSSAA or the State DOE ought to make a rule because not all are smart enough to do what's right in this heat. A rule ought to be in place that says no practice outdoors in heat above a certain level.

When I was in training in the Army they had rules and we could not train if the "wet bubble" ?? was at a certain point. And we really were being trained to kill people. Football is only training to injure people.

DL.

Del, you are exactly correct. Even at the highest levels of training, Navy Seals, Army Rangers, Green Berets and Air Force Pararescue there are very strict rules regarding physical training and the heat index. These are personnel who train in all types of conditions. During training periods, there medical care that can be accessed quickly. In high school athletics, coaches are not trained very well in dealing with training in such heat. There are so many unknowns despite the precautions coaches take. The old warhorse enjoys high school football----------Everybody BE Safe!

The National Athletic Trainers' Association has a position statement on participation in relation to the dry temperature and wet temperature. This is another reason the TSSAA should have some type of requirement for school systems to have Certified Athletic Trainers at high schools or have one accessible to make such calls. Coaches should not have that responsibility placed on their shoulders when there are qualified personnel that went to school for these specific situations. If your school does not have a Certified Athletic Trainer then you go to www.nata.org and find that position statement for a guideline to follow. Hope this helps those that are concerned.

National Athletic Trainers' Association

Heat Illness Position Statement- NATA

Guest orange

The National Athletic Trainers' Association has a position statement on participation in relation to the dry temperature and wet temperature. This is another reason the TSSAA should have some type of requirement for school systems to have Certified Athletic Trainers at high schools or have one accessible to make such calls. Coaches should not have that responsibility placed on their shoulders when there are qualified personnel that went to school for these specific situations. If your school does not have a Certified Athletic Trainer then you go to www.nata.org and find that position statement for a guideline to follow. Hope this helps those that are concerned.

National Athletic Trainers' Association

Heat Illness Position Statement- NATA

You are the best trainer a team could have . (No swimming allowed)

It's amazing to me that every post in here is a serious discussion regarding practicing in the heat and here comes postaldude ready to spew forth his negativity toward the owls. Looks like somebody's got a case of feather envy! I don't think the facility has A/C in the practice area, only weight room and offices. So...metal building+105 heat index = OVEN.

Same rules in the Marines. The Wet Bulb Globe Temperature index, which is a little different than normal temperature readings, stated all strenuous activity be halted at 90F or higher. Obviously the people who came up with 90F had never been to MCB Twentynine Palms, NTC or the Middle East, have they DelTavian?

Checking the bubble every day in Vietnam you would find it would always read way to high to participate. They still kept me there for 365 days each tour. 110f-115 F and 60%-70% humidity. Added a steel pot a flak jacket 20 lbs and a 25 lb pack and 70lbs of ammo plus a rifle. Then hike a few miles through the jungle. Not without complaint. Most were 18-20 yrs old. I wished I was back practicing football in 100 degree weather. The human body is tougher than you can imagine. So things are not always as they appear. My experience is a victim of heat exhaustion is not aware of his condition until its to late. It takes training to detect the symptoms of heat related issues. Everyone involved, players included should have training in the subject before playing. If fatalities are to be prevented. The answer is obvious. It should be implemented to be safer. However nothing is a sure fire answer but it cuts the odds better than half.

I also add, look at the so called physicals players take also. Try a military type physical. There would be a lot of players not playing because they couldn't pass one. Meaning they could not endure the extreme conditioning safely. Until they do have such physicals and training you have a right to think safe. As you can bet 20% should not be on the field in the first place. I think that was the medical rejected rate in the military at the time.

In conclusion, if you have the complete physical and training. It is no more dangerous than a hit in the wrong spot. Hence the risk of playing a contact sport. Water up and get educated on the problem. I think being educated on the subject and a complete physical is less expensive and a better learning experience than building an air conditioned practice barn. Seems finding another convenience is always the answer now days. Instead of addressing the issue. Dumbing down wont help should the electric go out. Then that is just an opinion.

Checking the bubble every day in Vietnam you would find it would always read way to high to participate. They still kept me there for 365 days each tour. 110f-115 F and 60%-70% humidity. Added a steel pot a flak jacket 20 lbs and a 25 lb pack and 70lbs of ammo plus a rifle. Then hike a few miles through the jungle. Not without complaint. .......

1 You are showing your age.

2 Thanks for your participation in this country's armed servies.

1 You are showing your age.

2 Thanks for your participation in this country's armed servies.

1 We all get there. Nothing to be ashamed of. Its when you reach this age you realize how silly people can get with complaints and how little they act on them to resolve the problem. If they do, they want to spend a million or so instead of educating and using the skills learned. Then they complain of the taxes to pay for it. America may just be the only country where we live above our wallet. Whine less and do more. I don't see anyone whining about the conditions our armed forces face. Which is way more important. If not for the armed forces most likely we wouldn't have HS football. Or have the right to complain. Be thankful for what you have. Resolve issues like you have no money to deal with.

2 You are very welcome. I have not regretted it once. Even though I am disabled from it. Only complaint I have is how easily folks take it for granted how well they have it at the expense of our armed forces. Now that there is national guard involved in the action. With many local folks affected instead of just the regular forces, the trend has been changed quiet a bit towards how we appreciate what the military does. Supporting a war is another can of worms. Supporting your troops is a must. Involvement after they return is also critical. Many will need financial help and medical care. Support that also. The government don't always think they are any longer obligated after they return with problems. Make sure your vote goes with someone who also supports the troops. FLY OUR FLAG, vets notice. That saddened me beyond words, returning home to people burning our flag, and not seeing anyone flying them in support of our troops. Educate your self on the importance of the flag to the military. What the symbols on the flag stands for. May just make you go buy one and fly it. God bless America.

1 We all get there. Nothing to be ashamed of. Its when you reach this age you realize how silly people can get with complaints and how little they act on them to resolve the problem. If they do, they want to spend a million or so instead of educating and using the skills learned. Then they complain of the taxes to pay for it. America may just be the only country where we live above our wallet. Whine less and do more. I don't see anyone whining about the conditions our armed forces face. Which is way more important. If not for the armed forces most likely we wouldn't have HS football. Or have the right to complain. Be thankful for what you have. Resolve issues like you have no money to deal with.

2 You are very welcome. I have not regretted it once. Even though I am disabled from it. Only complaint I have is how easily folks take it for granted how well they have it at the expense of our armed forces. Now that there is national guard involved in the action. With many local folks affected instead of just the regular forces, the trend has been changed quiet a bit towards how we appreciate what the military does. Supporting a war is another can of worms. Supporting your troops is a must. Involvement after they return is also critical. Many will need financial help and medical care. Support that also. The government don't always think they are any longer obligated after they return with problems. Make sure your vote goes with someone who also supports the troops. FLY OUR FLAG, vets notice. That saddened me beyond words, returning home to people burning our flag, and not seeing anyone flying them in support of our troops. Educate your self on the importance of the flag to the military. What the symbols on the flag stands for. May just make you go buy one and fly it. God bless America.

Dang skippy there MO$$$$, I have my flag in front of my house. Thanks for the service to our country. Bet yall didnt train inside of an air conditioned metal barn with fake grass in it did you? You are exactly right about the fact that we owe it to people like you that we get to go out and suffer in this heat to get to play a kids game that we love. We dont have to get shot at while we do it either because of you folks. Thanks again.

Dang skippy there MO$$$$, I have my flag in front of my house. Thanks for the service to our country. Bet yall didnt train inside of an air conditioned metal barn with fake grass in it did you? You are exactly right about the fact that we owe it to people like you that we get to go out and suffer in this heat to get to play a kids game that we love. We dont have to get shot at while we do it either because of you folks. Thanks again.

Thanks my postman. I am honored to have served our country. Thanks to folks like you who can appreciate what they have and why they are able to have it. And display the flag in respect of our troops. If you can respect your team and fly a team flag. Whats the diffrence? As a team flag makes a player feel supported, the USA flag makes the armed forces feel supported. Give this some thought when you buy a new team flag.

So little to ask for so much.

By the way I bet this weather we are having would be a cool day in Iraq.