Heat

all2001state

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the TSSAA has any rules on the heat in regards to the heat index? I know of many states who have rules that if the heat index reaches a certain point that a team is restricted in how it manages its practices. Such as what equipment they wear. If anyone has any info please share.

There is no rule in Tennessee. Coaches are encouraged to give frequent water breaks at their own discretion. There was a article in the Tennessean

about the subject last week.

The TSSAA or the State DOE ought to make a rule because not all are smart enough to do what's right in this heat. A rule ought to be in place that says no practice outdoors in heat above a certain level.

When I was in training in the Army they had rules and we could not train if the "wet bubble" ?? was at a certain point. And we really were being trained to kill people. Football is only training to injure people.

DL.

stink it up thats all i can say. i played football down on the Mississippi gulf coast were the temp was 90 at 7am. we only had two water brakes during practice. the best thing i can say is drink water till you have to take a leak every 5min's then drink more it will keep heat cramps away to.

that would knock out about a 3 weeks of practice.

Honestly, I think something should go in effect, I don't know what, but you hear every year in Tennessee of a football player dying from the heat...maybe have like a dead time of practice during the day or something where no practices are allowed...let practices start no earlier than 6:30 and finish around 9 or so that way a kid could still go home after school and get homework done and study up and then go to football practice...just throwing things out there as GC was hit with a death last week and it's not something a school really needs to go through...

Thanks for all the information. What would you say to the heat index? I to read the article about the KY rule on the heat index being at a certain point such as if it was over 100 they would have to stop practice or if it was at i guess 98 they would have to go in shorts and shirts. They had a report on the weather channel last night about how teams need to practice in shorts when the heat index becomes so high like it is right now.

Football has been shut down in Wilson County till futher notice.............only practice can be inside! Cannot even practice at night.

I knew Smith Co. had something in mind when they built their indoor practice facility. Smith County school board will call a band on all football practice outdoors. Then Gordonsville cant practice for several days because they dont have an indoor field. This will give them another leg up on the little 1A school in their county. That away to help guarantee they wont lose to their smaller 1A rival the second game of the season.

Guest Termite

I knew Smith Co. had something in mind when they built their indoor practice facility. Smith County school board will call a band on all football practice outdoors. Then Gordonsville cant practice for several days because they dont have an indoor field. This will give them another leg up on the little 1A school in their county. That away to help guarantee they wont lose to their smaller 1A rival the second game of the season.

Dang..............The Nothern Sumner Junk Mail Delieverer is smarter than I thought he was......................but then he would have to be......