Letting kids come out late

fb247

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another ignorant poster.

Great response

If just showing up every day made you a better player, then those with perfect school attendance would be Rhodes Scholars. There's any number of reasons why a kid might show up late. Some of them are better excuses than others, but the main reason that a parent or player wouldn't want them on the team is because they don't want the competition and are afraid their kid can't hold their position. Showing up for practice and workouts every day with a starting spot pretty much wrapped up doesn't mean a kid is necessarily putting out. Give him some competition and let the best man win. What's ignorant is to think that complacent players that aren't challenged are good players. Why else would anyone not want the better player on the field?

That doesn't mean the new kid wouldn't have to do extra conditioning and running before he got a shot at competing for a job. I'd set conditions for letting the kid on the team that included working his butt off and if he met them, let him on. Most football programs don't have tryouts per se, or at least they don't have cuts. If you show up you make the team. How much work and effort you put forth on the practice field and the game shape you're in by the time the season rolls around determines your P.T.

I can't speak stupid. How do you respond to dysfuntional thinking? Pacman, is that you?

Often the weak minded result to insults and trying to compare those they feel intimidated by with those they don't. If I were Pacman I would have already pulled out a nine and blasted you fool which would be followed by a form of language I am sure you would be able to understand. Another thing when you are going to insult someone's intelligence, you could at least spell Dysfunctional correctly. Oh btw I look forward to hearing, "Do you want fries with that?", from you.

I see you are taking your advice well. Shoot down the competition and degrade them so you can have the spot even if you are clearly less talented!!! Once again I congratulate you.

Often the weak minded result to insults and trying to compare those they feel intimidated by with those they don't. If I were Pacman I would have already pulled out a nine and blasted you fool which would be followed by a form of language I am sure you would be able to understand. Another thing when you are going to insult someone's intelligence, you could at least spell Dysfunctional correctly. Oh btw I look forward to hearing, "Do you want fries with that?", from you.

I see you are taking your advice well. Shoot down the competition and degrade them so you can have the spot even if you are clearly less talented!!! Once again I congratulate you.

In my opinion, each situation needs to be addressed on an individual basis by the coach. In some cases, players have single Moms who just are too naive to get their kids out there - and the kids MAY too naive (especially Freshmen or younger) to go out there. In a perfect world, the coach(es) would well publicize to kids/parents that multiple sport kids who will show up late should obtain special permission to do so. If the coach believes someone has been purposefully not come out early to avoid the hard work, then the coach should make a judgement call as far as how to handle the player's request. An interesting story, I started playing football in the 7th grade when I stupidly figured out my friends were not riding the bus home after school. One day, shortly after school started I just decided to go out to be one of the guys. I had never played football before and was in no kind of shape. Fortunately, in the 70s things were a bit more innocent and pure. The coach provided me with a uniform and let me come out. He didn't really seem to care that I had missed 2-a-days or that I never played. Eight years later I was 1st team All-SEC. Again - every case is special and the natural progression of things usually makes things even out. Ultimately, the coach has to do what he thinks will be most beneficial to the team performance and its cohesiveness. A tricky balance sometimes but, as someone said earlier, life is not fair.

I think if a kid comes out late that's fine. The kid needs to do extra running and play on the Jv team for the first two games then if they are good enough play on Friday play them. If they take a starting job away o well I know alot of high school coaches and not a one of them want to loose.

Thanks for all the responses in this topic. After reading the replies I think hardtackle is correct. With no excuse for their absences, they should not be allowed to play. I am a young coach in North Alabama that wants integrity in our program and I know in my heart that this is best for our team. This is my first year here and the history of these players are selfish and will quit the first time things don't go their way. We have some good players and these guys could help, but will do more harm than good. I understand the comments of others and I think they are replies from parents and not coaches. I sure hope Bauber is a kid and not an adult and never a coach. Thanks.

Thanks for all the responses in this topic. After reading the replies I think hardtackle is correct. With no excuse for their absences, they should not be allowed to play. I am a young coach in North Alabama that wants integrity in our program and I know in my heart that this is best for our team. This is my first year here and the history of these players are selfish and will quit the first time things don't go their way. We have some good players and these guys could help, but will do more harm than good. I understand the comments of others and I think they are replies from parents and not coaches. I sure hope Bauber is a kid and not an adult and never a coach. Thanks.

My IQ is too high to be a "coach". Thank you though. If they have no excuse I would still give them a shot to prove themselves and if they don't prove themselves then I am sure you know the answer.

In my opinion, each situation needs to be addressed on an individual basis by the coach. In some cases, players have single Moms who just are too naive to get their kids out there - and the kids MAY too naive (especially Freshmen or younger) to go out there. In a perfect world, the coach(es) would well publicize to kids/parents that multiple sport kids who will show up late should obtain special permission to do so. If the coach believes someone has been purposefully not come out early to avoid the hard work, then the coach should make a judgement call as far as how to handle the player's request. An interesting story, I started playing football in the 7th grade when I stupidly figured out my friends were not riding the bus home after school. One day, shortly after school started I just decided to go out to be one of the guys. I had never played football before and was in no kind of shape. Fortunately, in the 70s things were a bit more innocent and pure. The coach provided me with a uniform and let me come out. He didn't really seem to care that I had missed 2-a-days or that I never played. Eight years later I was 1st team All-SEC. Again - every case is special and the natural progression of things usually makes things even out. Ultimately, the coach has to do what he thinks will be most beneficial to the team performance and its cohesiveness. A tricky balance sometimes but, as someone said earlier, life is not fair.

Could not have said it better myself. Who did you play for in the SEC?

Thanks fb247. Experience has proven that this is best way to deal with late arrivals. Many region championships and post season wins have validated this to the kids in our program. I would like for as many that want, to be a part of our program ,but their are expectations that must be met. It is not always easy to tell a player he needs to wait until next year, but we have never had a player quit after making the committment to the team and his team members. Players don't quit on something they have an investment in. Too much work and time has been given to just quit. Thanks again and best wishes.

Why would a coach let a few players come out for football this late. It is causing some problems on our team. A few players are thinking about quitting, saying it is not fair. What should they do? We have 50 on our roster. We need some advise on what we should do. Parents are concerned also. I don't think all the coaches agree with the decision, either. These kids have been in our school last year and knew we have been working out and practicing. Yes, they are pretty good athletes. They even have played football and basketball in the past.

If they are freshman let them come out and limit them to JV/Freshmen games. If they are transfers let them out. If they quit let them back out for the offseason for next season. If they are a senior don't waste your time they have made their own bed, time to lay in it.

A little bit of advise…there is no way that you will make every or even the majority of the parents happy, that’s a fact. Even if you win the state championship you will have some parent come up to you and let you know that you where unfair to their child and that you didn’t give him a chance to show you how good he is. So if you’re making this decision to get in good with the parents you are making a big mistake, and you won’t be coaching for long. If you think or know these kids could help your team, as a coach I feel that you would be obligated to explore any ethical avenue that could potentially improve your chances…of course it would definitely have to be on your terms (regardless of how harsh or lenient they may be) and the newcomers would have to be fully aware of what your terms are. The bottom line to all of this is winning games without breaking the rules…you can dance around it all you want but the fact is that you may be the most ethical and moral coach you think you could be…and that might give you a warm and fuzzy feeling….but if you don’t follow that up with winning games, you’ll be wearing that warm and fuzzy feeling into the unemployment office. Oh ya…and little Johnny and his parents (you know…the one you sacrificed having a better team for “doing the right thing”) probably won’t even give you a ride down there once the season is over. Don’t think your making a good impression Coach, because MOST parents are only out for #1 regardless of how they try to mask it. Once their child is out…you’re on your own.

I agree completely. The world wants everyone to be equal and never feel unjustness. Many parents complain at any little competition their child meets. I think it is hysterical when people think they have a sense of entitlement to a position on a team just because they have put in some time. But he worked so hard!!! Well so do washing machines.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!