USJ Season

JRR56

I think that some people have the wrong idea of who USJ really is. Some many people say that USJ isn't a good football team, has no talent, and have horrible sportsmanship. Since 1987, USJ football teams have won 13 District/Region titles, and participated in 52 state playoff games. This includes 3 State Finals, 7 Semi-Finals, and 10 Quarter-Finals. USJ has been represented by 44 All-State players and four Mr. Football finalists (two of which were winners). Not to mention Coach Mickey Marley who always coached at USJ and has the top 3rd winning percentage in the State. Two players, Trey Teague and Brennen Berg, were named on The Jackson Sun's All-Century team. And if I don't recall, Trey Teague was drafted by The University of Tennesse, started at center, AND won a national championship! That's not all... after he graduated he went to play for the Denver Broncos who ended up winning a Super Bowl! USJ may not be on the top of their game right now, but (and I Quote from 101.5) "USJ may be small but they'll pop you, so you better get ready for it." I think USJ deserves a little more respect.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that some people have the wrong idea of who USJ really is. Some many people say that USJ isn't a good football team, has no talent, and have horrible sportsmanship. Since 1987, USJ football teams have won 13 District/Region titles, and participated in 52 state playoff games. This includes 3 State Finals, 7 Semi-Finals, and 10 Quarter-Finals. USJ has been represented by 44 All-State players and four Mr. Football finalists (two of which were winners). Not to mention Coach Mickey Marley who always coached at USJ and has the top 3rd winning percentage in the State. Two players, Trey Teague and Brennen Berg, were named on The Jackson Sun's All-Century team. And if I don't recall, Trey Teague was drafted by The University of Tennesse, started at center, AND won a national championship! That's not all... after he graduated he went to play for the Denver Broncos who ended up winning a Super Bowl! USJ may not be on the top of their game right now, but (and I Quote from 101.5) "USJ may be small but they'll pop you, so you better get ready for it." I think USJ deserves a little more respect.

That is all so very fine and dandy... As i recall Notre Dame has had 10 heisman winners, hundreds of all american's a couple national titles and about half the players play in the NFL. You wanna know how USJ and Notre Dame are the same? Neither has done much this melinium at all. I have nothing against USJ and i actually picked one of your rivals (TCA) to go to the burro, but i have to say that USJ just isn't anywhere near where they used to be. as someone put it a while back "just not a football school anymore" He didn't say that you never were, just that your not right now.

....and then USJ entered 2-A and began to play real football teams, not Greenfield, Halls, and the other 1-A misfits. The results have been predictable. Honors given by the Jackson Sun should be taken with a grain of salt, since it is generally known by West Tennessee fans that the Sun's sportswriters were so far up a part of USJ's anatomy that they all had brown hair after one year on the job. Of late, even the Sun has turned to the more successful JCS team.

....and then USJ entered 2-A and began to play real football teams, not Greenfield, Halls, and the other 1-A misfits. The results have been predictable. Honors given by the Jackson Sun should be taken with a grain of salt, since it is generally known by West Tennessee fans that the Sun's sportswriters were so far up a part of USJ's anatomy that they all had brown hair after one year on the job. Of late, even the Sun has turned to the more successful JCS team.

Let's make sure we get the facts straight regarding USJ's schedule in past seasons. Obviously they could not control who they played in-region, but their non-region games since 1999 to the end of their 1A stay were hardly "1-A misfits."

99-00: Peabody, Chester Co., St. Benedict, FRA

01-02: CPA, Bruceton, Riverside, Bolivar, Hardin Co.

03-04: South Side, Bruceton, North Side, McNairy, Riverside

I don't think the results were too predictable. Had USJ gone into 2A just two years earlier with the teams that had Ryan Ross, Russell Cook, etc., I'm pretty confident they would have been competitive with most everyone. Win the region, probably not, but 2-8 and 1-9 seasons? No way.

USJ`s trouble the past 2 years has nothing to do with their move to 2A Augielio. They`ve had many very good teams that would be very competitive in this region. If you halfway knew what you were talking about you would know that the Bruins had a huge hit on graduation 2 years ago and just did not have the talent to maintain their normal level of play. They would not even have done well in their old 1A region last year.

....and then USJ entered 2-A and began to play real football teams, not Greenfield, Halls, and the other 1-A misfits.

What an ignorant statement to make. You somehow have the misguided idea that 1A is the special ed or kindergarten division of football? Not real football? Wow.

Just so you can keep from looking so foolish again I will tell you that divisions are made based on NUMBER OF STUDENTS ENROLLED. So, while it is most likely that your 3A sized school could whoop a 1A sized school it ain't no guarantee. It depends on the talent of the kids enrolled during the season and even Dyersburg can have a dry spell.

Were you on the field, or with the players when they walked to the locker room?

Yes.

Respect is earned. If respect is what you want, you have an odd way of trying to attain it.

USJ`s trouble the past 2 years has nothing to do with their move to 2A Augielio. They`ve had many very good teams that would be very competitive in this region. If you halfway knew what you were talking about you would know that the Bruins had a huge hit on graduation 2 years ago and just did not have the talent to maintain their normal level of play. They would not even have done well in their old 1A region last year.

So you are saying that while USJ was in 1a they were never affected by graduation as JRR56 so thoroughly explained but as soon as they moved up to 2a they lost all talent to graduation? I'm not trying to brag but its the only example I can think of. In 2000 Milan graduated a team that won 2 state championships. We still made the playoffs and were competitive even though we were in a higher division. To use a clich? that gets on everyone’s nerves but is still true, tradition never graduates.

Let's make sure we get the facts straight regarding USJ's schedule in past seasons. Obviously they could not control who they played in-region, but their non-region games since 1999 to the end of their 1A stay were hardly "1-A misfits."

99-00: Peabody, Chester Co., St. Benedict, FRA

01-02: CPA, Bruceton, Riverside, Bolivar, Hardin Co.

03-04: South Side, Bruceton, North Side, McNairy, Riverside

I don't think the results were too predictable. Had USJ gone into 2A just two years earlier with the teams that had Ryan Ross, Russell Cook, etc., I'm pretty confident they would have been competitive with most everyone. Win the region, probably not, but 2-8 and 1-9 seasons? No way.

I hesitate to call that a strong non region schedule.

What an ignorant statement to make. You somehow have the misguided idea that 1A is the special ed or kindergarten division of football? Not real football? Wow.

Just so you can keep from looking so foolish again I will tell you that divisions are made based on NUMBER OF STUDENTS ENROLLED. So, while it is most likely that your 3A sized school could whoop a 1A sized school it ain't no guarantee. It depends on the talent of the kids enrolled during the season and even Dyersburg can have a dry spell.

After having followed football in West Tennessee for 40 years as a coach, writer, statistician, and fan, I am fairly conversant about how classifications are made, though I do appreciate the "refresher." I am also aware that the consensus of coaches and fans is that the big gap in performance is between 1A and the other classifications. 4-A's and 5-A's are often interchangeable, but 1-A, by virtue of its lack of numbers, can seldom compete. Dyersburg has certainly had its share of dry spells. The most celebrated running back in USJ's history, the Jackson Sun named him its "Player of the Year" one year, could never have started at running back for JCM or Jackson Northside in those years.

We'll just watch and see how USJ does this year, the next year, and on and on. Will it be a long "dry spell"? I suspect it will and the "spell" will be with 2-A's.

After having followed football in West Tennessee for 40 years as a coach, writer, statistician, and fan, I am fairly conversant about how classifications are made, though I do appreciate the "refresher." I am also aware that the consensus of coaches and fans is that the big gap in performance is between 1A and the other classifications. 4-A's and 5-A's are often interchangeable, but 1-A, by virtue of its lack of numbers, can seldom compete. Dyersburg has certainly had its share of dry spells. The most celebrated running back in USJ's history, the Jackson Sun named him its "Player of the Year" one year, could never have started at running back for JCM or Jackson Northside in those years.

We'll just watch and see how USJ does this year, the next year, and on and on. Will it be a long "dry spell"? I suspect it will and the "spell" will be with 2-A's.

What runningback are you talking about Augielio? They`ve had 4 Jackson Sun player of the year winners. And you are dead wrong if you think some of them couldn`t have started at JCM or Northside.

I hesitate to call that a strong non region schedule.

And where, pray tell, did I say it was a strong non-region schedule?

I said it was hardly "1A misfits," which is what Augielio claimed in his post.

Your hatred for USJ clearly hampers your ability to think fairly and reasonably with any discussion involving the Bruins.