Father Ryan Fact

goryan

It was highlighted in the Tennessean several years ago. Father Ryan provides financial aid based on need like any other private school, then they cut that aid roughly in half so that they can provide aid to more students. It has been this way for a very long time. So, Golden Tate comes along. I talked with one of his family members when he was an 8th grader, and he was on his way to Father Ryan. Can you guess what happen. JPII provided the Tate family full aid. Father Ryan did not. What would you do....... A huge problem I would say if you need to get those 2 or 3 athletes that were already in your system but went elsewhere.

Last year lost to Baylor by 4 at Baylor. Lost to MBA by 7. If you saw this game, some would say the refs blew a call or two. Lost to McCallie by 6 and down to BA at half 10-7. Father Ryan showed up last year in every game with the possible exception of the Franklin game. Father Ryan entered this game 2-0 and may have been a little over confident. At the same time this was the same team Father Ryan destroyed the year before for their first win. Franklin was ready. It may also be interesting to note that Father Ryan beat Ravenwood in a week zero Friday night under the lights game. This game was played for keeps. Of course Ravenwood was in the 5A championship game last year.

When it is all said and done, Ryan will show up offensively this year. Ryan Berry will be tough to stop with a big mature offensive line coming back. They should be able to score some points. The question mark for me is the D. With a favorable schedule this team should win 7 games showing up. Good Luck Father Ryan. Father Ryan wins the first one by 14.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Father Ryan and BA used to be the two big powers of the state, what is the differnce at Ryan.

Another poster on this forum feels that one of the problems with Father Ryan are that they will only give students 50% of the amount of financial aid that they have qualified to receive. If that is true you could have a good student/athlete decide to go where they are offered 100% of the financial aid that they are qualified to receive. I may be wrong but my understanding of how the financial aid package works is as follows:

Tuition: $12,000.00 per student

Qualified Financial Aid: $8000.00

Tuition Cost to Student if they receive 100% of the financial aid: $4000.00

Father Ryan cost to Student: $8000.00 (Because they only gave 50% of the financial aid that the student qualified to receive.

As you can see the student qualified for $8000.00 of financial aid and it should cost the family $4000.00 to attend the school. However, with the way that Father Ryan works the financial aid package it would cost the family $8000.00 to attend which is a $4000.00 difference. It would be very difficult for a family of any student to walk away from $4000.00.

If this is all true it is no shock that the Irish are having trouble playing in D2 & why would they not move into D1AAAAA?

You are smart enough to know the answer to your own question.

Another poster on this forum feels that one of the problems with Father Ryan are that they will only give students 50% of the amount of financial aid that they have qualified to receive. If that is true you could have a good student/athlete decide to go where they are offered 100% of the financial aid that they are qualified to receive. I may be wrong but my understanding of how the financial aid package works is as follows:

Tuition: $12,000.00 per student

Qualified Financial Aid: $8000.00

Tuition Cost to Student if they receive 100% of the financial aid: $4000.00

Father Ryan cost to Student: $8000.00 (Because they only gave 50% of the financial aid that the student qualified to receive.

As you can see the student qualified for $8000.00 of financial aid and it should cost the family $4000.00 to attend the school. However, with the way that Father Ryan works the financial aid package it would cost the family $8000.00 to attend which is a $4000.00 difference. It would be very difficult for a family of any student to walk away from $4000.00.

If this is all true it is no shock that the Irish are having trouble playing in D2 & why would they not move into D1AAAAA?

You are smart enough to know the answer to your own question.

Stan,

I don't understand your statement. If it were me & I could only give 50% of the financial aid that a student qualified to receive, I would discontinue financial aid for athletes and play in D1.

JPII provided the Tate family full aid. Father Ryan did not.

Just to clarify for folks that don't know the nuances of private school financial aid. JP2 gave the full amount of eligible aid as determined by a third party national clearinghouse. It doesn't mean he received full tuition, just full amount of his aid designation (that apparently FR only gave half of).

I am not aware of any DII school that gives 100% financial aid. It's a limited pool of funds at most, and they spread it out the best they can based on the assessments made by the clearinghouse.

What about Baylor, McCallie, Montgomery Bell Academy, Memphis University School, Brentwood Academy and Christian Brothers? They may not offer all students 100% of what they qualify for but they do offer some students 100%. Did I not read on one thread that Baylor gave over $650,000.00 of financial aid in 2006?

What about Baylor, McCallie, Montgomery Bell Academy, Memphis University School, Brentwood Academy and Christian Brothers? They may not offer all students 100% of what they qualify for but they do offer some students 100%. Did I not read on one thread that Baylor gave over $650,000.00 of financial aid in 2006?

I can only speak authoritatively about BA. No student at BA gets 100% financial aid. The most I am personally aware of is 80%, which still leaves approximately $2600 to be paid by the family of the student. BA's financial aid budget is approximately 10% of the total tuition paid. This could be different at other schools, but I have not heard that. I don't believe that any DII school offers 100% aid. I don't doubt that Baylor's aid budget is what you state, but in terms of the total student body, it probably accounts for a relatively small percentage of their budget. At the big prep schools, it costs a lot of money to educate a child.