DB Christian at Sunbright; What to expect?

TrophyHunter

PLEASE!!! While I was impressed with DB's hustle, hard-hitting, and aggressiveness, they beat a Temple team that will be lucky to win more than 2 games this year. 3 of Temple's top players by far didn't even play in the jamboree. I counted 5 starters on both sides of the ball that didn't play for Temple. They were dressed out, went thru warmups, but didn't play one down. Temple even ran a completely different offense in the Jamboree (last year's) than they will run this season. They will be a power running team with their 250+ lb TB.

Besides that, Silverdale scrimmaged Temple early this fall and scored 10 TDs to one in 7 or 8 possessions of 10 plays each. Temple's lone TD came against Silverdale's 3rd teamers. Their coach wanted to quit after the first 2 Silverdale possessions that scored 6 total TDs in 20 plays - 0 for Temple who only had 5-6 positive yardage plays in their first 20 plays. He said they were "done" and his "boys were tired". He even called them to line up to shake hands! I wouldn't have believed it of a college football hall of fame UT player (head coach Chip Kell) if I hadn't seen it and heard it myself. He was finally talked into continuing, though.

DB has about 4 good athletes that would be good players on most any team in the area - the WR, QB and a couple of RBs (and I really like theri coach too) - but they are small as a team and don't have alot of team speed. I'm afraid they will get that confidence shattered numerous times this year becasue it isn't built on very solid evidence.

Now that is a pretty interesting, insightful, thoughtful, and impressive post...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PLEASE!!! While I was impressed with DB's hustle, hard-hitting, and aggressiveness, they beat a Temple team that will be lucky to win more than 2 games this year. 3 of Temple's top players by far didn't even play in the jamboree. I counted 5 starters on both sides of the ball that didn't play for Temple. They were dressed out, went thru warmups, but didn't play one down. Temple even ran a completely different offense in the Jamboree (last year's) than they will run this season. They will be a power running team with their 250+ lb TB.

Besides that, Silverdale scrimmaged Temple early this fall and scored 10 TDs to one in 7 or 8 possessions of 10 plays each. Temple's lone TD came against Silverdale's 3rd teamers. Their coach wanted to quit after the first 2 Silverdale possessions that scored 6 total TDs in 20 plays - 0 for Temple who only had 5-6 positive yardage plays in their first 20 plays. He said they were "done" and his "boys were tired". He even called them to line up to shake hands! I wouldn't have believed it of a college football hall of fame UT player (head coach Chip Kell) if I hadn't seen it and heard it myself. He was finally talked into continuing, though.

DB has about 4 good athletes that would be good players on most any team in the area - the WR, QB and a couple of RBs (and I really like theri coach too) - but they are small as a team and don't have alot of team speed. I'm afraid they will get that confidence shattered numerous times this year becasue it isn't built on very solid evidence.

Not sure where you were going with this. Confidence is a very fragile thing. Are you saying that the DB win in the Jamboree would not help their confidence? The players know nothing about Temple's scrimmages. They know nothing about who plays for Temple and who stands on the side-line. All they know is they played well and won. Think it did not help? DB beat Sunbright last Friday (14-7). Could have been much worse, but some of the 1st half calls were very, very questionable. Two touchdowns were called back. Last year? A loss. This year? A win because of some new found confidence. Yea, Sunbright is not an upper tier team, but they are not bad either for a single A team. So far, DB/Confidence-1, Loss-0.

What player has committed and where? What seniors do you have that could play after high school?

To Zonepirate,

My friend you have got to look from DBCS has come from, true enough we have played Temple and Sunbright, but you have got to build on something! There might be some beat downs but if not then what is going to be said. IF we beat LV beat LC, well I will talk to you about SP in private! LOL! take care of some other guarantees and just miss the play-offs or make it! We have no tradition! We are building a program (LEGALLY) and trying to just produce high school grads and college prospects. You got to want to win but what about when they grad, where do they go! I know where our players go (just one, LOL) but we have an early commitment and GOD willing all seniors ARE going to sign letters of intent. So how much do we have to pay you to tell VIC to tone it down some, LOL!

Beatdowns are nothing new for DB. I'm not sure you understand the strength of the DII schools that they played the past two years. Davidson Academy/FACS/SBEC/more Memphis school, etc. were all top notch programs, probably capable of beating most 1A teams that I have seen around here hands down. But that was last year.

Sunbright/Lancaster/SAS/Copper Basin/Temple ='s 5. Whitwill is the wildcard. Just my humble opinion.

Yea, I guess DB is familiar with beatdowns. Sorry if my words were a little too blunt

I understand the strength of some DII schools but DB went 1-9 and only beat SAS by 6 points last year. I'm sure DB is better but 5 wins better? I guess we shall see but just keep your expectations reasonable. Good luck with the season

Okay, let me try this in real simple terms --- their new found confidence it based on scoring 2 TDs in 20 minutes against a terrible team that could go winless this year and didn't play 5 of their 11 starters on both sides of the ball against DB (only 1 of which started last year).

If you need more explanation, that means they falsely think they are better than they are becasue they think they beat a good team based on what that team did last year, but in reality only had 1 retruning starter on both sides of the ball. That will not be the same Temple team DB will face in the regular season, because they run an entirely different O than they did in the scrimmage. Basically, Temple blew off the jamboree by not showing their O and not playinf their 5 best players on either O or D. Congratulations, DB! What a victory!

Maybe DB doesn't know that same terrible Temple team was thoroughly waxed 10 TDs to 1 by a Silverdale team that is markedly better than last year and which almost beat an undefeated Temple team last year - 1st down on Temple's 20 with 2:30 to go running right down their throat, but got 2 penalties for 20 yrs and lost by 7 - Temple's closest margin of the year.

Can't even believe I'm wasting my time responding to this, but... maybe you should look up the word confidence. Falsely think? Who cares if it's false or true? As long as they "believe" and "think" they can win, that's all that matters. Remember David and Golith? Who cares what Temple will do at the end of the year? Who cares if they did not play everybody? Who cares if Silverdale almost beat Temple last year? Last year was last year... When a school has only 1 football victory in school history before the Jamboree, any win is a confidence builder. PERIOD. Until you have experienced the situation at DB, and any 2 year old football program, you really have no idea what it's like. I'm done, and will do something constructive now!

To Zonepirate,

My friend you have got to look from DBCS has come from, true enough we have played Temple and Sunbright, but you have got to build on something! There might be some beat downs but if not then what is going to be said. IF we beat LV beat LC, well I will talk to you about SP in private! LOL! take care of some other guarantees and just miss the play-offs or make it! We have no tradition! We are building a program (LEGALLY) and trying to just produce high school grads and college prospects. You got to want to win but what about when they grad, where do they go! I know where our players go (just one, LOL) but we have an early commitment and GOD willing all seniors ARE going to sign letters of intent. So how much do we have to pay you to tell VIC to tone it down some, LOL!

Like I said, sorry if I was a little blunt

I know you guys are working hard. I was just questioning the enthusiasm of a 6-4 season after a 1-9. If the team has made big improvements maybe you can with the teams that are on your schedule. Now if DB has some bigs upsets I'm sure you will have to endure some grilling so come with and a sense of humor and your flame retardant suit

Who is the prospect and who is looking at him?

If you want to get on Vic's good side think about playing the game on Friday afternoon Saturday is not going over very well in SP.

Yea, I guess DB is familiar with beatdowns. Sorry if my words were a little too blunt

I understand the strength of some DII schools but DB went 1-9 and only beat SAS by 6 points last year. I'm sure DB is better but 5 wins better? I guess we shall see but just keep your expectations reasonable. Good luck with the season

Well, one under the belt so far. 5 wins better? Only time will tell. Only a prediction. In reality, my prediction will have absolutely no bearing on any single play or outcome of any game they play. It was only an educated guess, if you believe I'm educated!

Well, one under the belt so far. 5 wins better? Only time will tell. Only a prediction. In reality, my prediction will have absolutely no bearing on any single play or outcome of any game they play. It was only an educated guess, if you believe I'm educated!

The 5 games you mentioned (Sunbright/Lancaster/SAS/Copper Basin/Temple) could all be wins. I still think a first year 1A team will struggle in some of those, it just takes a while to get all the pieces in place. Your guess is as good as mine. I hope you get your 6 wins with Whitwell as your big upset.

I agree that any win, even over a weak team will help build confidence on a young team. Beating Sunbright was a huge boost. When I was questioning a 6 win season 2 of DB's next 3 games 9maybe all 3) will not likely be good for confidence. And then games 6 and 7 will probably not be much fun either. By the time they get to the last 3 games (2 which should be winnable and one upset) what will the team's confidence level be?

The 5 games you mentioned (Sunbright/Lancaster/SAS/Copper Basin/Temple) could all be wins. I still think a first year 1A team will struggle in some of those, it just takes a while to get all the pieces in place. Your guess is as good as mine. I hope you get your 6 wins with Whitwell as your big upset.

I agree that any win, even over a weak team will help build confidence on a young team. Beating Sunbright was a huge boost. When I was questioning a 6 win season 2 of DB's next 3 games 9maybe all 3) will not likely be good for confidence. And then games 6 and 7 will probably not be much fun either. By the time they get to the last 3 games (2 which should be winnable and one upset) what will the team's confidence level be?

Guys are still young, so they have a short memory! With a good coach, like DB has, he won't let them get down. As with most single A teams, barring injury is a big concern also. After a 60-0 shell-shacking loss at home against St.George's last year, they came to play against MTCS during the last game. I believe they are taking it "one game at a time". Not even thinking about anything except LV.

Okay, let me try this in real simple terms --- their new found confidence it based on scoring 2 TDs in 20 minutes against a terrible team that could go winless this year and didn't play 5 of their 11 starters on both sides of the ball against DB (only 1 of which started last year).

If you need more explanation, that means they falsely think they are better than they are becasue they think they beat a good team based on what that team did last year, but in reality only had 1 retruning starter on both sides of the ball. That will not be the same Temple team DB will face in the regular season, because they run an entirely different O than they did in the scrimmage. Basically, Temple blew off the jamboree by not showing their O and not playinf their 5 best players on either O or D. Congratulations, DB! What a victory!

Maybe DB doesn't know that same terrible Temple team was thoroughly waxed 10 TDs to 1 by a Silverdale team that is markedly better than last year and which almost beat an undefeated Temple team last year - 1st down on Temple's 20 with 2:30 to go running right down their throat, but got 2 penalties for 20 yrs and lost by 7 - Temple's closest margin of the year.

What kind of punk team just blows off a game? This isn't the NFL preseason, this was a game. They kept score. If they didn't want to show their offense then why didn't they just drop out of the jamboree? That's a tremendously weak excuse. David Brainerd beat Temple by almost the exact same score Silverdale beat David Brainerd last year... and Silverdale was labeled the dark horse of the region ever since that time! How does that work out? So what you're saying is that whenever David Brainerd wins a game (they are 1-0 by the way), it doesn't mean anything? Everyone knows Temple is sorry and apparently fond of making excuses. Sunbright went 5-5 last year and aren't a terrible team by any means. So when do people start giving DBCS atleast a little credit? I understand they didn't beat the best team in the state but a win is a win. 1-0 is still 1-0 any way you look at it.

The confidence they have is based on how they play and winning. They have played well and won. They have actually tied their win total from last year; thats a good start.

The kid you are talking about being ineligible is actually eligible. Talk to the TSSAA about it. You will come to find out that you are wrong.

DBCS has a handful of kids that have the potential to play at the next level, maybe not division 1, but college is college. They already have one player at Carson-Newman. Check the Carson-Newman Football site roster if you doubt me.