What if split does occur?

This may have been addressed before, but what if the publics and privates are split?

Many figure that the privates will take their ball, so to speak, and create their own governing body.

If that happens, recruiting, or marketing, if you prefer, will be unfettered and the publics stand to lose even more kids. Will the public school parents and coaches be content to win more titles, even though theoretically their talent pools will be lessened?

Are titles and a perceived fairness what it is all about?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd expect even a totally split-off organization to have its own recruiting rules, if not a Brentwood Academy or McCallie (just examples) would move even further ahead of many of the privates they'd be recruting and playing against. If they were part of a national membership, I'm sure there would be rules against it, too.

• 4 weeks later...

This is what would happen:

A new governing body would not allow privates to recruit from other privates. So BA wouldn't be able to steal players from say Father Ryan. However, BA, MBA and the recruiting privates would have unfettered access to drive down to Riverdale and basically pick their favorite players who could begin playing immediately ....even in mid-season if the private school allows a mid-year transfer! There would be no waiting periods!

Implications: It will be much tougher for public coaches to consistently field good teams. As soon as a public school athlete looks good, the privates will come in and steal him. Then, the best coaches will head for private schools for obvious reasons.

I'm telling you, the very people who are anti-private stand to lose the most in this battle. The problem is that they are so short-sighted that they cannot see the long-term ramifications of such a split.

Note to TSSAA lurkers: You had better quit treating the privates like red-headed stepchildren or you WILL lose big time. Begin by reducing the modifier. Then, add private school representation to the TSSAA controlling board.

A new governing body would not allow privates to recruit from other privates. So BA wouldn't be able to steal players from say Father Ryan. However, BA, MBA and the recruiting privates would have unfettered access to drive down to Riverdale and basically pick their favorite players who could begin playing immediately ....even in mid-season if the private school allows a mid-year transfer! There would be no waiting periods!

Implications: It will be much tougher for public coaches to consistently field good teams. As soon as a public school athlete looks good, the privates will come in and steal him. Then, the best coaches will head for private schools for obvious reasons.

I'm telling you, the very people who are anti-private stand to lose the most in this battle. The problem is that they are so short-sighted that they cannot see the long-term ramifications of such a split.

Note to TSSAA lurkers: You had better quit treating the privates like red-headed stepchildren or you WILL lose big time. Begin by reducing the modifier. Then, add private school representation to the TSSAA controlling board.

WOW this guy is money..... he truly is a wizard...

I might agree with some of your sentiment--mainly the last part--but you are way, way off the mark in your assessment of "recruiting" and how it might look if public and private form separate leagues.

First, no one is recruiting now. I have no idea how and why "finacial aid" and "recruiting" have become one and the same, but no relationship exists. I don't even know why I keep writing it, but financial aid is awarded 100% solely on your family's ability to pay the tuition. Period. Secondly, the idea that BA, MBA or anyone is going to walk into Riverdale and just start inviting people to the school is ridiculous. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, all the schools have rigorous admissions policies. And a finite number of seats in the school, for which demand usually exceeds supply.

Lastly, no one wants "recruiting" at all. Do you really think that MBA, BA, and Ensworth, for example, want to be competing with other for kids in an unregulated recruiting environment? Talk about a recipe for utter disaster...

Honestly, if private schools acted in the way you've suggested the will or might, I would be really ashamed to be a private school supporter...none of that is remotely in the spirit of high school athletics.

Ronnie Carter and the TSSAA have been disgraceful in their treatment of private schools since the very formation of D2 in 1997, and it still might warrant a full split from the TSSAA...but I would never expect to see what you've described in a hypothetical "private only" league.

I might agree with some of your sentiment--mainly the last part--but you are way, way off the mark in your assessment of "recruiting" and how it might look if public and private form separate leagues.

First, no one is recruiting now. I have no idea how and why "finacial aid" and "recruiting" have become one and the same, but no relationship exists. I don't even know why I keep writing it, but financial aid is awarded 100% solely on your family's ability to pay the tuition. Period. Secondly, the idea that BA, MBA or anyone is going to walk into Riverdale and just start inviting people to the school is ridiculous. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, all the schools have rigorous admissions policies. And a finite number of seats in the school, for which demand usually exceeds supply.

Lastly, no one wants "recruiting" at all. Do you really think that MBA, BA, and Ensworth, for example, want to be competing with other for kids in an unregulated recruiting environment? Talk about a recipe for utter disaster...

Honestly, if private schools acted in the way you've suggested the will or might, I would be really ashamed to be a private school supporter...none of that is remotely in the spirit of high school athletics.

Ronnie Carter and the TSSAA have been disgraceful in their treatment of private schools since the very formation of D2 in 1997, and it still might warrant a full split from the TSSAA...but I would never expect to see what you've described in a hypothetical "private only" league.

I would not want to be in an environment where schools were trying to win a recruiting war but I would like to see schools be able to play athletes who simply would like to attend school somewhere else than where they are, without them having to sit out for 12 months.

For example, Temple's former AD, Dan Wadley took a job a mile down the road at McCallie as their head basketball coach. His son originally wanted to stay at Temple and graduate with his friends but decided he would like to transfer to McCallie (for whatever reason). He was only able to play JV basketball this past season. He clearly was not recruited and should have been allowed to transfer without penalty or loss of eligibility. Yes, I do know what the rules say about it. It just seems like there could be a little more energy invested in looking at individual cases to find out what is best for that particular student/athlete.

I have said from the very start of D1 & D2 that most of the private schools do not wish to have their own association. Period. Those schools are in the business of education (yes it is a business) and they don't want to put any effort into running a state wide athletic association. However, if they were all forced into D2 they would probably see no reason to stay in the TSSAA and pay their dues.

The vast majority of private schools do not want to have any type of open season on recruiting high school athletes. What people need to understand is that the true prep schools would have a difficult time getting many of the great athletes through their admissions office. Those athletes that were accepted may not wish to do 3 or 4 hours of homework each evening along with following the dress codes and having to deal with the social issues. What I am trying to say is that there are numerous reasons why private education is not for everyone even if they are great athletes and have excellent academics. Most families select private education for a variety of reasons and yes, athletics could very well be one of those reasons for selecting a private institution. Academics, fine arts, student teacher ratio, social issues, etc... would also play a part in the selection process.

The TSSAA has many different types of schools that are members of their association and those schools include Baptist, large rual public, small urban, prep, large urban, small rual, small Church of Christ, large Catholic, magnet, etc... and if they are going to take a schools money they need to take care of their needs just like they take care of the needs of the school that they receive their personal income from.

The TSSAA is floating on a life raft at the present time and only one thing will help them and that is revenue. For the good of the organization both sides (public & private) need to work together. If the following things would take place the TSSAA would have no financial problems after 5 years:

Place all schools back together in 4 classifications for football, mens basketball, womens basketball, softball, and baseball.

Volleyball, Soccer & Dual Match Wrestling would have 2 classifications.

Tennis, Wrestling (individual tournament), Track & Field, Cross Country, Golf, and Bowling would have 1 classification.

If someone thinks recruiting does not happen, they have their head in the sand!!!

I personally know of a situation, of a very good athlete contacted by a private school, near the end of their 8th grade year. Parents told contact, they could not afford to send their child there, unless they received a "full scholarship". The person making contact on behalf of the school said, we do not have full scholarships available, but we do have "SPONSORS", that are willing to pay your tuition costs, if your child will attend here.

Athlete did not attend the private school.

and I personally know of a situation where an 8th grade young lady at JCS was approached by a coach at a public school in Jackson...he told her and her parents that she had a better shot at a scholarship if she played at his school on a larger format...she went...sure recruiting occurs to some degree even though none of us want it...but privates haven't cornered the market on it...

If someone thinks recruiting does not happen, they have their head in the sand!!!

I personally know of a situation, of a very good athlete contacted by a private school, near the end of their 8th grade year. Parents told contact, they could not afford to send their child there, unless they received a "full scholarship". The person making contact on behalf of the school said, we do not have full scholarships available, but we do have "SPONSORS", that are willing to pay your tuition costs, if your child will attend here.

Athlete did not attend the private school.

I really hope this family you know did the right thing and went to the TSSAA and turned in the offending school. Because none of us want that sort of blatant cheating going on. Especially when you consider the story on the football board about the former Ensworth (now Hillsboro) qb, who was forced to leave EHS because his family fell on some hard times and couldn't afford the tuition...so they were forced to withdraw him from EHS and rely on the mercy of Ronnie and the TSSAA to grant him eligibility to keep playing (which he rightfully granted). I'm sure he is wishing that some random "sponsor" had stepped in on his behalf and allowed him to stay at EHS.