I was looking back at Maryville's schedules from 2001 and got to thinking...I know Maryville is ranked nationally by some publications and I saw yesterday on ESPN where they have them ranked nationally also....You guys are 87-2 with 5 State Championships since 01,why do you all not go out of state and play any other national power high school teams??....Are there plans in the future to do so??...Seems to me the Rebels have achieve about all they can achieve in Tennessee,with what 10 State Titles??....Why not try for that mythical national championship??...Just wondering

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too expensive, and they do not want to drop their county rivalries they play out of their region.

I don't know how the television thing works,but would look like playing on TV against a power from another state would pay for itself in the long run...Does Maryville have a corporate sponser deal from Nike,Under Armor or Reebok like some schools do???...Looks like Maryville would be able to pay for any trip with their booster club...I know they are going to play William Blount and Alcoa,but looks like they could travel to say North Carolina or South Carolina and who says they have to play on the road??

They've played Alcoa, Heritage, and William Blount for their out of region games for as long as I can remember. All these games are good draws for everyone involved. Why try to fix something that is not broken?

And not try to get a Nationally Televised game against a nationally ranked team??You are kidding ,right??....

Look Maryville fans,don't read anything into this question...I have just watched some teams from other parts of the country play and be in the national spotlight and wondered why a Tennessee team isn't one of them.....Maryville would have to be considered Tennessee's premier program right now....It would be great pub for Maryville as well as the state of Tennessee....

They've played Alcoa, Heritage, and William Blount for their out of region games for as long as I can remember. All these games are good draws for everyone involved. Why try to fix something that is not broken?

I don't see why people from all around east tennessee wouldn't come to watch a Maryville game against a national power. If it was on saturday like most of those games seem to be there could be 15,000+ show up. Sounds hard to believe but since there are no other high shcool games around on saturdays I think people would be very willing to go, unless of course it is during a Tennessee game.

George is just not that type of coach. He is big on community, family, and school. He is pulling for every team in Blount Co. when he is not playing against them. He has even had many practice events in the past with Alcoa.

They also have the State Championship celebration party with Maryville and Alcoa together.

So you are saying the coach has his program where he wants it and as big as he wants it??...

Step up to 5A then. You have proven you can handle all the 4A schools in a typical year. No disrespect, but I wonder how many of these kids grew up in the system ( elem, middle school ) and how many are transplants once their parents realized they had potential. Again, no disrespect intended just a legitimate question. Don't hate on me for asking, I have nothing but respect for a great program.

Maryville has year in and year out beaten (dominated) 5A programs in games and scrimmages. If you look back at the schools in the championship games you will see that every program benefits from players transfering. Riverdale is a case and point. Fulton as well, Hillsboro too, and just about every team there.

I promise that every coach in 5A dreads the day that Maryville moves up. 2009 season