Bearden vs. Dobyns Bennett

db123

I cant believe so many people that come on here & act like football experts, do not know the rules of the sport. It is common knowledge that on an extra point attempt or a Field goal attempt, this is the only time someone can be on a knee & get up & run. How do you think teams run a Fake FG. Also, the holder can come off of his knee if it is a high snap to grab the snap & return to the ground for the kick as long as he comes straight up & straight back down. This has been a rule ever since field goals & extra points became a part of the game. Sounds like some DB cry babies to me. But also there are some knowledgable DB fans on here who know that it was a hard fought defensive battle that could have went either way. Hats off to both teams!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Place holder isn't considered "down" on a hold. If he was, nobody would ever get a kick off. The play would always be blown dead before the kick.

You are correct...I must have been in a stunned stuper when I typed that. But my thoughts were that he went up to get the snap and tried to re-set the hold which I understand the holder can reset...but it matters not because I was proven wrong with the fine photos on Tricitiessports.com showing that he just got up and ran. Still inexcusable to lose contain. Matters not because DB had many opportunities before the game got to that point and falied to capitalize.

Congrats to Bearden..I'm sure Coach Wilson would be proud

And it happened again last night. Many arm tackles or missed tackles in the second half after a brillant first half. Many two way starters in the d-line, linebacking, and secondary corps. One LB (two way player) who played as well as I have ever seen him play in the first half missed three tackles in the second half. He never even touched the ball carrier on the misses. In the second half after dominating the LOS, the DL were making tackles 5-6 yards downfield. Yes, their were exception situations, #66 made a nice second half sack/TFL. #2 saved the Tribe's bacon on numerous occasions last night in the second half.

Offensive execution was horrible. Forget the Bearden D and the x's and o's. The coaching staffs inability to get plays called from the sideline was atrocious. How many dropped snaps were there? Why are you running out of the shotgun in short yardage? Dropped passes were down last night, but you can expect one drop from one kid every game or scrimmage. If all fails, throw passes up for grabs. 6-17 and less than one hundred yards passing again for all three games from a no huddle, shotgun offense.

Forget the football experts, the band parents were making comments last night about the ridiculous offense. The spin doctor was once again at work this morning in the paper. Perhaps, a little self assesment is in order. 1-2 for the season, and 3 of the last four games have been lost. No more than 14 points have been scored in the losses. Perhaps, it is time to run an offense to fit your personnel's capabilities. #7, #10, #15, #2, #33, and #45 are all at least good ball carriers. Visions of first and goal from the 4 and #19 on the sidelines last year are still haunting......

I feel sorry for many of the boys who have played their hearts out!!!!

Contrary to the motto for the DB program "100 strong..." their must only be about 15. A little rest for some of the players would help in the 4th. Most teams run the same offense for V and JV. Why does DB run two different offenses? The varsity looks totally confused. Every play you see a player asking another player what to do on the play. I also found it interesting to see the headlines that a VA high school canceled a game because of staff infection. I heard DB announced at their booster meeting a DB player had it and had to be sent home. I hope the Bulldogs were made aware. The fat lady is not singing, but based on the comments this weekend I think she is in the room.

Contrary to the motto for the DB program "100 strong..." their must only be about 15. A little rest for some of the players would help in the 4th. Most teams run the same offense for V and JV. Why does DB run two different offenses? The varsity looks totally confused. Every play you see a player asking another player what to do on the play. I also found it interesting to see the headlines that a VA high school canceled a game because of staff infection. I heard DB announced at their booster meeting a DB player had it and had to be sent home. I hope the Bulldogs were made aware. The fat lady is not singing, but based on the comments this weekend I think she is in the room.

I think you've just got a bad taste in your mouth because you woke up this morning and the fat lady was in your bed.

Let's make one thing perfectly clear. IT WASN'T THE DEFENSE THAT LOST THIS GAME. Those kids played their hearts out. I wish the offense would abandon the wishbone every down. It makes no sense to run from the gun with 4th down and 1 to go. Do you have no more confidence in your offensive line than that? But it was an epic battle to watch. Congratulations to Bearden. You guys showed a lot of class.

Yes, you are exactly right, but DB's lines dominated Bearden's in the first half and it was more neutral in the second half. In OT, Bearden's line may have had a slight advantage. The point is that a good coach will try to develop depth and rotate players to keep his players fresh and to try and wear down the opposing team. Oak Ridge is another quality opponent, perhaps the best that we will face all year (Wm Blount was very good). If the coaching staff doesn't do a better job of subbing as well as play calling, Oak Ridge will dominate the scoreboard. If OR hadn't turned the ball over five times in 2005, they would beaten DB by 40+ points.