Any HS Ref please answer

rkwd2

I just moved to Western Wilson Co and so I thought I'd check out the game between Mt Juliet and Wilson Central. On the first drive of the game Mt Juliet stalled and sent out the field goal team on their half of the field. I'm not sure why but they snapped it the holder held and the kicker kicked the ball. So essentially instead of punting they attempted about a 85 yd field goal. Now Wilson Central thinking it was a fake had a return man. So anyway the kick lands around the WC 45 and rolls about five yds where for some reason I can't figure out the return man picked the ball up. Now correct me if I am wrong but if they had just left the ball alone would the kick not have been ruled a missed field goal and the ball given to Wilson Central at the line of scrimage of the previous play? I Have never seen a coach use a place kicker instead of a punter in that situation. Was this a trick play hoping that the opposing kid would do something stupid or is it a obscure rule?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but if the wilson central returner hears his coach dont touch it, the ball is going to be at the Mt Juliet 35. Thats a crazy gamble. It worked for Mt Juliet because the Wilson Central returner did pick it up, but its kind of crazy hoping that the other team would make a kid makes a dumb mistake. Why not just send out the punter?

The high school rule is different from the college/NFL rule. In high school, ALL scrimmage kicks are treated EXACTLY the same, except that a punt can't score 3 points if it goes through the uprights. A place kick (or drop kick) from scrimmage is treated the same as a punt. If the ball rolls dead at the 20, it's dead at the 20 and the other team takes over. If the kick crosses the goal line, it's a touchback unless it scores a field goal.

A field goal attempt is just like any other scrimmage kick (punt). The only difference is that it can score 3 points. If the ball did not cross the goal line, and it appears in this case that the ball did not cross the goal line, then the receiving team can pick it up and advance it just as they would a punt. I cannot tell you why the coach elected to attempt a FG instead of using the punt. As I said, either way it is a scrimmage kick and can be used just as they did.

Ok, so if you have a kicker that can hit a 40 yd fg but you have a 55 yd attempt as a coach you might as well let him try because if he doesnt have the leg you have a chance of downing it inside the 10? Wow thats crazy. Instead of punting you could just have your kicker directionally kick for the ball to roll out of bounds at the 2. I'm surprised I have never seen a coach take advantage of this before tonight.

A field goal attempt is just like any other scrimmage kick (punt). The only difference is that it can score 3 points. If the ball did not cross the goal line, and it appears in this case that the ball did not cross the goal line, then the receiving team can pick it up and advance it just as they would a punt. I cannot tell you why the coach elected to attempt a FG instead of using the punt. As I said, either way it is a scrimmage kick and can be used just as they did.

i thought that is what the rule was. The refs at the Bolivar/Carver game blew the call then. Bolivar attempted a 45 yard field goal that fell just just short of the crossbar and landed in the end zone. I thought it should have been a touchback. they spotted the ball at the 35 (where the holder was) I guess they had studied up on the nfl rule book

i thought that is what the rule was. The refs at the Bolivar/Carver game blew the call then. Bolivar attempted a 45 yard field goal that fell just just short of the crossbar and landed in the end zone. I thought it should have been a touchback. they spotted the ball at the 35 (where the holder was) I guess they had studied up on the nfl rule book

The rule is that the defense can return the kick if it is short of the back of the endzone. However, if it is not returned it is a missed fieldgoal and brought back to where the ball was originally spotted was what I was told.

The rule is that the defense can return the kick if it is short of the back of the endzone. However, if it is not returned it is a missed fieldgoal and brought back to where the ball was originally spotted was what I was told.

That`s what I thought the rule was. he exception being if it is missed from inside the 20 then it is brought back to the 20.