USJ vs. Humbolt

JRR56

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

humbolt in a romp 48 14

I wouldn`t be too quick with that prediction. USJ beat a very good TCA team last night and from what I heard they had 2 drives stopped very deep in TCA territory and gave TCA the ball once at their own one yard line. I wasn`t at the game but sounds like USJ could have won by a larger margin. Hardegree threw for 355. I`ll be surprised if Humboldt wins by 34 points.

Humboldt beat Crockett County last night, but Crockett County lost a ton of talent off last years team so it`s hard to gage how big of a win that was for Humboldt.

Humboldt is very athletic and Epperson is a monster on both sides of the ball. However, I can guarantee you that Coach Craig, while happy with the victory over the Cavaliers, is not happy with the turnovers they committed last night. Of course my Cavs helped the Vikings out with 5 of their own. I think any high school coach is concerned when facing a team that can throw like USJ can. Humboldt is succeptable to the pass. Crockett just didn't execute well at all last night throwing the ball.

Humboldt is very athletic and Epperson is a monster on both sides of the ball. However, I can guarantee you that Coach Craig, while happy with the victory over the Cavaliers, is not happy with the turnovers they committed last night. Of course my Cavs helped the Vikings out with 5 of their own. I think any high school coach is concerned when facing a team that can throw like USJ can. Humboldt is succeptable to the pass. Crockett just didn't execute well at all last night throwing the ball.

It looks like Humboldt may lack a passing game (1-7 last night with an interception) Also they didn`t punt too well (under 27 yards a punt) add in three turnovers and it`s clear that Humboldt has a few weaknesses that can be taken advantage of.

Humboldt looks awfully good and they have a lot of room for improvement...it's scary how good this team can be by time playoffs come around...When Dunbar settles in at QB, teams will have to respect Humboldt's running backs, Humboldt's receivers (mainly Epperson who is probably going to have atleast one td every game), and Dunbar's scrambling ability...At 6'4, he has good speed and size...He's a lefty and throws the prettiest ball in this region...Don't let the 1/7 fool you...A couple of those were catchable balls that were dropped...One was a jump ball, one was a touchdown that the receiver just dropped...When you see this guy play QB, u know he's the real deal...He's got the potential to get some looks in the future as he's only a sophomore...The 87 yards pass to Epperson for a touchdown was a fade route in which Dunbar threw it maybe 50 in the air on a 5 step drop and hit him in full stride...Basically, I think a lot of Humboldt's success will depend on how quickly Dunbar gets a grasp for the speed of the game and matures into the qb he can be...If he does that by the 6th or 7th game of the season, you could see this team make a run deep into the playoffs...

As far as the USJ game...I'll go with Humboldt by 13 in a high scoring affair...Humboldt should be able to move the ball on USJ but Humboldt's corners appear to be a weakness...very short and inexperienced...Humboldt will need Chauncey Hunt to continue playing great defense from the free safety position...So far, Humboldt has only played with one safety deep (Hunt)...Look for a different defensive set up this friday to adapt to USJ's style of football...

Humboldt 41

USJ 28

Last year everybody expected for Humboldt to win big. The final score was 35-32 Humboldt. USJ pulled it out against a good Trinity team expected to go deep into the playoffs. I say USJ takes this one and gets an important region win.

Most people will laugh at this reply, but if I dare say...this team might just be better than last years' team....4 of 5 interior linemen, including including Caleb Cox (6'4 360 Sr Tackle), have returned from last year's team...Cox is being looked at by several Div. 1 schools although he hasn't been offered yet... a big time recruit at receiver returns for his senior campaign, 3 different running backs (Marcus Shivers, Chauncey Hunt, and number 2 (I haven't caught his name yet) who all have big play capability...A QB that can throw the ball and can also be dangerous scrambling...He's definitely pass first but if he is forced to, he can make plays running the ball as well...Humboldt's defense has a lot of speed and they seem to play with a swagger...Mix in a head coach who's now in his sixth year with the program, a great offensive coordinator, and several good assistants and you have all the tools for a great team...It has also been rumored that the fastest player on Humboldt's roster is going to suit up this Friday...He's a small guy at around 5'7 160 but is lightning quick and can make almost anyone miss in the open field...He went down with a collarbone injury during the summer but seems to have recovered...throwing him in the mix at running back, but more importantly, at cornerback will only give Humboldt more depth and make them more dangerous...This kid will also more than likely be on the kickoff and punt return teams as well so it's safe to say that if he plays well, he can have a huge impact on this season..