Harpeth vs. Loretto

Hindians13

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take care of business at practice this week. The running game wasn't spectacular, there were some drive killing penalties, some mishandled returns in the kicking game and some dropped balls in the passing game. Eliminate mistakes and don't worry about who the opponent is. Get better every week and the wins and losses will take care of themselves.

Harpeth wins by 2TD in this one. I won't get greedy and if Harpeth has some things to work on this week then they are no different than any other team in the state. Right now getting better and playing with great effort should be Harpeth's main focus. I agree with ksgovols in the sense that if Harpeth does these things then the wins and losses will take care of itself.

Former Nashville Christian Head Coach Tony Keeton, who also served as wrestling coach at Hillwood for a short period of time I believe, is the new head coach at Loretto this season. Long time head coach John Jacobs, who last took the Mustangs to the playoffs in 2004 (first round loss to Huntingdon), resigned around the time the Blue Cross Bowl Weekend occurred last year. Keeton has the task of trying to rebuild a once proud program at Loretto and with time hopefully he will get it done.

Sounds kind of familiar huh Harpeth fans?????? Loope replaced a long time coach, Marshall Winkler, who was ran off following an 0-10 season in 2004 (took Harpeth to the postseason in 9 out of 10 seasons prior to that horrible ending). Harpeth has gone 2-18 in Loope's first two years as head coach and now it FINALLY seems as if the Indians are set to make a run back to the level that they were once at in the late-90's. A 1-0 start looks good but I hope that the building continues this week as well.

Former Nashville Christian Head Coach Tony Keeton, who also served as wrestling coach at Hillwood for a short period of time I believe, is the new head coach at Loretto this season. Long time head coach John Jacobs, who last took the Mustangs to the playoffs in 2004 (first round loss to Huntingdon), resigned around the time the Blue Cross Bowl Weekend occurred last year. Keeton has the task of trying to rebuild a once proud program at Loretto and with time hopefully he will get it done.

Sounds kind of familiar huh Harpeth fans?????? Loope replaced a long time coach, Marshall Winkler, who was ran off following an 0-10 season in 2004 (took Harpeth to the postseason in 9 out of 10 seasons prior to that horrible ending). Harpeth has gone 2-18 in Loope's first two years as head coach and now it FINALLY seems as if the Indians are set to make a run back to the level that they were once at in the late-90's. A 1-0 start looks good but I hope that the building continues this week as well.

I dont understand why you must bring up the past. No, loope hasnt had the best of luck and Marshall Winkler had good luck, but that is what it was. I played under Marshall Winkler and the only thing I can think of that was beneficial to his success was the mass amount of talent he had under his belt. He had two SEC signees(Mathew and Jason Tant), he had another guy by the name of Adam Huffines who could have went anywhere he wanted to(who is now a coach for Harpeth). And he still plays on a semi-pro team, then he had Jimmy Gann, Josh and Adam Conatser. I know that Coach Loope for a fact could have won with the group of guys Coach Winkler had.

That is why he went 5-15 his last two years of coaching, because the talent was running out. Even if there wasnt a walk out, the season was still in the gutter with a loss to Nashville Christian, Cheatham Co., and a Hickman Co. massacres. And all he could say after the Nashville Christian loss was "you all are getting beat by a bunch of christians". His steam was running out and I think he knew that.

Just My Opinion.

I counted the number of guys on the 1997 Harpeth poster that's in the weight room today. There are 46 guys dressed out in that picture. The current squad has 34 I think. A successful season or two will get those numbers up and I really believe that is a key. The athletes at Harpeth have to play football. Most of them are. A few are not.

The other thing is it would have taken one of Harpeth's very best teams ever to compete in the region they were asked to compete in the past 2 years. Hard to rebuild like that. Jimmy Gann was also the last senior quarterback that's started at Harpeth. He's also the last junior. Experience breeds success, especially at the qb position. It's going to get better, but it's a combination of things. Being in the region where Harpeth belongs is #1. Getting kids enthused about the program and working their rear ends off to get better is #2. Playing for the guy next to you instead of yourself is #3. #1 is there. #2 is getting there. #3 is there more than not.

I'm not going to predict on Harpeth games this year. They can win most of their games if they continue to work hard and do the little things in a game that keep your from beating yourselves. There were 8 penalties for 80 something yards against Waverly. That's gotta improve.

Hey Big Country. What do we have to do to get a Harpeth player or two on your radio show Saturday mornings? My PV friends want to hear about Harpeth too they said! I'd be glad to pass along any ideas or drive somebody across the river.

I counted the number of guys on the 1997 Harpeth poster that's in the weight room today. There are 46 guys dressed out in that picture. The current squad has 34 I think. A successful season or two will get those numbers up and I really believe that is a key. The athletes at Harpeth have to play football. Most of them are. A few are not.

The other thing is it would have taken one of Harpeth's very best teams ever to compete in the region they were asked to compete in the past 2 years. Hard to rebuild like that. Jimmy Gann was also the last senior quarterback that's started at Harpeth. He's also the last junior. Experience breeds success, especially at the qb position. It's going to get better, but it's a combination of things. Being in the region where Harpeth belongs is #1. Getting kids enthused about the program and working their rear ends off to get better is #2. Playing for the guy next to you instead of yourself is #3. #1 is there. #2 is getting there. #3 is there more than not.

I'm not going to predict on Harpeth games this year. They can win most of their games if they continue to work hard and do the little things in a game that keep your from beating yourselves. There were 8 penalties for 80 something yards against Waverly. That's gotta improve.

Hey Big Country. What do we have to do to get a Harpeth player or two on your radio show Saturday mornings? My PV friends want to hear about Harpeth too they said! I'd be glad to pass along any ideas or drive somebody across the river.

If you will have Coach Loope or anyone else that wants to speak about Harpeth Football meet me at McDonald's on Saturday morning then I will give Harpeth a 30 minute radio spot from 9:30-10am. Cheatham Co. Cubs coach Cody Finley loves the morning because he's just a morning type of person for anyone who knows him. He'd be glad to reduce his show from 45 inutes to 30 minutes. Coach Halstead of the Sycamore War Eagles usually goes the final 45 minutes from 9:15-10. I'm sure he'd love to change that from 9-9:30 starting this week if Coach Loope wants to come and bring some players. If he does I'll put him on the air from 9:30-10am and this will be the new "Sports Round Table Schedule".

8:30-9:00: Cheatham County Cubs Head Coach Cody Finley

9:00-9:30: Sycamore War Eagles Head Coach Gary Halstead

9:30-10am: Harpeth Indians Head Coach Doug Loope

RUN THE IDEA BY HIM KSGOVOLS & I WILL GIVE HIM A CALL FIRST THING TOMORROW MORNING & DO THE SAME MYSELF!!!!!

BTW, there was nothing negative intended by my previous post. All I was trying to say is that the situation with the Loretto football program is very similar today that Harpeth's situation was at the end of 2004. THAT IS ALL I WAS TRYING TO SAY!!!!