DYERSBURG TROJANS VR'S haywood tomcats

trojanfan56

Congratulations to Dyersburg. The wet, muddy conditions sound the same as what we had in Covington, and both games apparently had lots of fumbles and errors. Ours ended Covington 7 - Crockett Co. -6 ,

I heard the OT portion of the Haywood - Dyersburg game from Brownsville radio while driving home from Covington. The teams sounded pretty even, but the interception by Haywood sealed their fate. Dyersburg has to be in the drivers seat now in region 7-3A, but I understand that Ripley is 3- 0 now.

The region could still be interesting, because Haywood is not dead yet.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll call lester hayes.

Sounds like a good game. Congrats on a nice win.

Details on Dyersburg-Haywood.

* The final score was Dyersburg-21 (not 20) and Haywood-14 in two overtimes.

* the wet field was really not much a factor. A drizzle fell through most of the second half. There were a few slips, but defense ruled. Haywood with nearly 300 yards a game on the ground in its first 2 games was held to 55 on the ground and 53 in the air. Dyersburg, said to be awesome on offense, got 40 in the air, 182 rushing for a total of 222. Haywood scored its only TD in regulation after a 3-yard "drive" following a D'burg fumble. From the end of the first quarter to six minutes left in the game, Haywood had 1 first down.

Dyersburg had 6 fumbles lost in the game.

* Dyersburg's defense, led by Bobby Ellis,Beau Liljenquist, Blake Thornton, and Hunter Newsome, shut down the Haywood running game

* Haywood nose tackle Larry Fouse used his 312 pounds to wreck the Dyersburg running game on several occasions.

* Dyersburg scored in the 3rd period to tie the game. The overtime went this way:

1. Dyersburg won the toss and deferred. On the first play, running back Luther Ward threw a HB pass to Altavis Douglas for a TD. Dyersburg retaliated on a 12-yard burst by fullback Ellis.

2. Dyersburg had the ball first in the second overtime. QB Logan Parker picked up 6 on the option, then pitched to HB Tyler Caldwell for the TD. Trailing 21-14, Haywood tried a flood pass on first down but QB Brett Stoots' pass was picked off by LB Hunter Newsome to end the game.

* Logan Parker, who injured his thumb just over a month ago, saw his first action and QBed much of the second half. He was 0 for 4 in passing, but had 64 yards in 7 carries running the option.

* Hunter Newsome's excellent play on defense was appropriate. His father, Dyersburg assistant coach Randy Newsome, suffered a heart attack just a week ago and had undergone quadruple-bypass surgery and had to listen from his bed at home.

* Haywood was without its fine guard and defensive end Jackie Moore, who injured a knee in practice on Tuesday.

dburg wins 20-14

how can you beat a team with 5 fumbles?

DEFENSE......

find some stick em for the offense......

It was with Great Pleasure to see the Trojan "Black Watch DEFENSE" Stand Tall all the way thru the game. VERY IMPRESSIVE ! I was concerned how the "D" would hold up against an offensive threat as Haywood poses. Too many turnovers (5) hurt the DHS "O" time and again. Offensively DHS having to adjust with 2 different type qbs n "O" systems, wing-t n power I. However kudos to Trojans players,coaches for "Never giving " up. Great game by all! "Together We Attach" is still a Trojan Tradition Im proud to see year in year out by players and coachs. To Coaches Bowling,Kennedy,Newsom,etc.=Standing Tall in D"BURG! Haywood has nothing to hang their heads down. Appears to be a DHS / HAYWOOD Stand-off till seasons end, Cant count our eggs too early tho, its a long season with ALL teams in Region 7-3AAA looking over the horizon to Never Take for Granted. How Bout them Orange and White Choctaws!! Great game Tomcats, we"re sure to meet again ,provided other 7-3AAA teams have anything to say bout it as Im sure they will. GO TROJANS !

* Logan Parker, who injured his thumb just over a month ago, saw his first action and QBed much of the second half. He was 0 for 4 in passing, but had 64 yards in 7 carries running the option.

I was very impressed with Parker's performance tonight. He looked like a Tim Tebow out there tonight. He was a little off on the passes, but that is expected since threw the ball for the first time this week after sitting out 6-8 weeks due to injury. Dyersburg defense did a heck of a job as well. Congratulations to D-Burg. Keep on rolling!

When I think about this game, the only thing that matters is the number of fumbles that occured. It was wet and sloppy and just plain ugly for us.....Six times we had the ball in scoring position. Six times we give it right back to them. Haywood had 54 yards on the ground, and 53 passing.....One pass that went for probably 35 to 45 yards. So that was given up on one play basically. They did nothing. Dyersburg would get the ball ,drive down the field and then gift wrap a fumble for Haywood. EVERY DRIVE......We could move the ball, it wasn't pretty but we could move it...The fumbles just killed us. My opinion if you take out the little kinks and mistakes for DHS. They win by 20. Even if they just score 3 out 6 times they fumbled in Haywood territory, thats 21 right there, and if they let that very talent kicker of ours kick that field goal on 4th and 3 from the 4 Yard line. Why go for it. Its just a chip shot and you don't have to worry about OT if he hits it we win 10-7. Then late Bowling then decides to kick one from like 40. Where is the logic? This team is goin to get a lot better as time goes on. Their goin to work out the little mistakes that are happening on offense, and if they avoid injury it could be a great year. Defense is OK, Offense play terrible but given the mistakes, ....This game could have been alot worse for Haywood.....

This is the second week Coach Bowling has just baffled me when it comes to calling the game.....Last week on a 4th and 9 play he cal;s a simple FB give that got all of three yards..The play only averaged probably 4 yards the whole night. Just a given we weren't get the first down. This week with no score for us and the ball on the 4 yard line. The Trojans go for it on 4th and 3. Now if we score he lookes like a genius, but we didn't. Plus if he kicks it. Then the next drive we go down the field and score like we did, we have no OT to worry about.

This is the second week Coach Bowling has just baffled me when it comes to calling the game.....

You know, I just hate it when the coach messes up like that. Really, you would think they would turn around and ask the guys in the stands for advice, wouldn't you?

Let's face it - the coach's job and paycheck are on the line when he is making calls on the field. If he messes up enough, then there will eventually be somebody else in his job. I, on the other hand, can make all the crazy decisions I want in the stands, and nothing bad ever happens if I am wrong, because first of all, nobody pays attention.

Being a coach has to be one of the most thankless jobs out there. I heard a coach say once "I know you all support me 100%, win or tie." I have coaches in my family, so I understand that we need to walk a mile in their shoes before coming down on them too hard.

You know, I just hate it when the coach messes up like that. Really, you would think they would turn around and ask the guys in the stands for advice, wouldn't you?

Let's face it - the coach's job and paycheck are on the line when he is making calls on the field. If he messes up enough, then there will eventually be somebody else in his job. I, on the other hand, can make all the crazy decisions I want in the stands, and nothing bad ever happens if I am wrong, because first of all, nobody pays attention.

Being a coach has to be one of the most thankless jobs out there. I heard a coach say once "I know you all support me 100%, win or tie." I have coaches in my family, so I understand that we need to walk a mile in their shoes before coming down on them too hard.

bowling has 2 wins.... and the kicker had the range if he would have had time to get set . he has plenty of legg was just rushed due to 25 second clock