Region 5-3A

Week 1 did not go so well for the teams of Region 5.

David Lipscomb - Look like the only threat despite some turnovers in their first game. They have started slow over the last couple of years, so I am sure they will be in their dominant form by week 3.

Marshall County - Lots of talk...not much action. Surprising loss to Hickman County. New coaching staff probably needs a few more games to get the wrinkles out.

Cheatham County - Open Friday night, but lost a close one in week 0 to a good 1A school...but still a 1A school.

Spring Hill - lost in week 0 to state power Alcoa. Got blasted by area rival Columbia.

Giles County - won in OT in week 0. Followed that up with a 14-13 win over Lawrence Co.

Page - sloppy week 0 win. Got waxed by a 5A weakling Centennial.

Creekwood - final score loss 35-14 probably looks worse than they played but still a loss.

Montgomery Central - 25 pt. loss to a good Sycamore team.

I know it is too early make conclusions, but the early results don't look good for this region. Region games will still be competitive, but outside of DL it doesn't look like any of these teams will make much playoff noise.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Week 1 did not go so well for the teams of Region 5.

David Lipscomb - Look like the only threat despite some turnovers in their first game. They have started slow over the last couple of years, so I am sure they will be in their dominant form by week 3.

Marshall County - Lots of talk...not much action. Surprising loss to Hickman County. New coaching staff probably needs a few more games to get the wrinkles out.

Cheatham County - Open Friday night, but lost a close one in week 0 to a good 1A school...but still a 1A school.

Spring Hill - lost in week 0 to state power Alcoa. Got blasted by area rival Columbia.

Giles County - won in OT in week 0. Followed that up with a 14-13 win over Lawrence Co.

Page - sloppy week 0 win. Got waxed by a 5A weakling Centennial.

Creekwood - final score loss 35-14 probably looks worse than they played but still a loss.

Montgomery Central - 25 pt. loss to a good Sycamore team.

I know it is too early make conclusions, but the early results don't look good for this region. Region games will still be competitive, but outside of DL it doesn't look like any of these teams will make much playoff noise.

creek woods game shouldve been closer than what it was. it was 7 to 6 at half time. cw couldnt get anything goin on offense the whole game. the defense had the big play bug in the second half, but i think it had alot to do with being tired from playin so much cause the offense just couldnt stay on the field. and cw qb had 3 ints, but i think creek wood can figure somethin out.

REGION 5-3A IN A NUTSHELL

Lipscomb: still the best team in the region. Jeremy Holt ran wild against a stout Greenbrier football team and there aren't many road wins that come tougher than a trip over there. Lipscomb's next "big test" should probably come in the game against Goodpasture in week five.

Giles Co.: the Bobcats scores look to have been very close so far this year but it's not like they've played terrible competition. Humboldt is one of the elite teams in 2A and Lawrence Co. is a 4A school that may suprise many this year. Giles is 2-0 behind a very strong defense that may be one of the best in all of 3A. If people can't score against you they can't beat you.

Marshall Co.: the new coaching staff made their Friday night debut in Lewisburg last week and the Tigers lost to 2A Hickman Co. The defense did show much improvement which has to be taken into major consideration in the loss. Offensively the new system will take some time for the players to learn so don't freak if they struggle early in the season trying to work the kinks out.

Cheatham Co.: the Cubs lost their season opener to Gordonsville who is a very good football team and may contend for a gold ball in 1A. Offensively this bunch has several new faces in skilled spots and it's taking them some time to get it. Defensively the new scheme is taking time for them to learn but improvement will come down the line.

Page: the Pats won their season opener behind a strong defensive effort. Last week Page was defeated by a 5A school. The Patriots offensive attack has struggled early in the season but it will take some time to learn the new system. If they can hang their hats on a strong defense like was the case in the win over Fairview then they'll be fine.

Creek Wood: the Red Hawks lost their opener to a very good 4A football team in Clarksville. The game was 7-6 at the intermission but in the second half the larger school pulled away. Creek Wood is a team searching for an identity right now but with the skill players that they return, especially on offense, look for them to make a run at the postseason.

Spring Hill: the Raiders schedule has been brutal in the early going with losses to Alcoa & Columbia Central. This week will be a much better measuring stick to see how the Raiders truly are this season when they start region play. Offensively in the region look for a very good player at QB to keep Spring Hill in just about every game they play.

Montgomery Central: the Indians opener was last week against a very good Sycamore bunch. Look for a good young defense to grow from that one and build toward the future. Montgomery Central opens region play this week and this should tell folks a lot about how far they need to go to get into the playoff mix.

THE REGION HAS ENDURED SO MANY CHANGES THAT EARLY IN THE YEAR TEAMS WERE GOING TO HAVE TO DO SOME REBUILDING. IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE YEAR LOOK FOR THE REGION TO BE VERY COMPETITIVE WHEN EVERYONE HITS THEIR STRIDE.

Week 1 did not go so well for the teams of Region 5.David Lipscomb - Look like the only threat despite some turnovers in their first game. They have started slow over the last couple of years, so I am sure they will be in their dominant form by week 3.Marshall County - Lots of talk...not much action. Surprising loss to Hickman County. New coaching staff probably needs a few more games to get the wrinkles out.Cheatham County - Open Friday night, but lost a close one in week 0 to a good 1A school...but still a 1A school.Spring Hill - lost in week 0 to state power Alcoa. Got blasted by area rival Columbia.Giles County - won in OT in week 0. Followed that up with a 14-13 win over Lawrence Co.Page - sloppy week 0 win. Got waxed by a 5A weakling Centennial.Creekwood - final score loss 35-14 probably looks worse than they played but still a loss.Without a doubt, it is weaker than most thought it would be.Montgomery Central - 25 pt. loss to a good Sycamore team.I know it is too early make conclusions, but the early results don't look good for this region. Region games will still be competitive, but outside of DL it doesn't look like any of these teams will make much playoff noise.

It is not living up to the hype. It is much weaker than anticipated.

I agree with BC, all teams have played some pretty tough competition the first two weeks. In Spring Hill's case they are young on the offensive line and have been struggling with it. I look for them to get back on track soon, though. I still think this is a tougher region than most in 3-A.

im speakin on creek wood's behalf...clarksville is a very good football team.

Let's revisit this topic again in about six weeks. Maybe the teams seem down at this point, but it is possible that their schedules were a little tougher and there is still a boatload of talent in this region. Who jells the quickest and gains confidence for the stretch run is a big key.

I think the teams that shore up their defense will be the top 4. There will still be some shootouts though.

Let's revisit this topic again in about six weeks. Maybe the teams seem down at this point, but it is possible that their schedules were a little tougher and there is still a boatload of talent in this region. Who jells the quickest and gains confidence for the stretch run is a big key.

I think the teams that shore up their defense will be the top 4. There will still be some shootouts though.

How about after week 2?

I am sure it is still too early but I am bored so...

David Lipscomb is their dominant self and probably doesn't even need to be mentioned on this thread, because there is nothing week about them.

Montgomery Central is not too competitive this year either. Maybe that will change as the year goes on.

Spring Hill got their first win against the above Indians, so that doesn't tell me much. Their game with Lawrence County will be a better indicator.

Marshall County looked like the dominant team we expected them to be against Creekwood. Hightower is not all hype!

Creekwood still has questions. I need to see how they do against other region competition. Not sure if the spread offense suits their players.

I also need to wait on Page. Getting dominated by David Lipscomb has happened to many a solid team. I am certain they will be better at the end of the year than they are now.

Giles County had an impressive win over Cheatham County. Maybe they didn't lose as much to graduation as everybody thought.

For what it's worth, Cheatham County has to be the best 0-2 team in the state. They returned too many solid players to be a bad team. Their coaching staff will have them playing better football in the near future.

I say right now that Giles Co. & Lipscomb are the class of the region. Both of those teams are very good and I have seen both first hand in both scrimmages and in their games over the last two weeks (Lipscomb @ Greenbrier & Cheatham @ Giles). Right now those are definately going to be 2 of the 4 Playoff Teams from this region because they both do so many things good. Lipscomb can run the football, stop the run, defend the pass, play great special teams, and is always very sound in terms of never hurting their own self with penatlies, turnovers, etc. Giles Co. is a better passing team than they were last year. They have the ability to run the football against anyone. They can stop the run when needed. They are sound on special teams. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL THOUGH IS THE FACT THAT THEY ARE A MUCH SMARTER TEAM THIS YEAR & LAST YEAR THAN THEY HAVE EVER BEEN!!!!! They are well disciplined just like Lipscomb and have the talent to play with anyone.

Marshall Co. will be a work in progress all throughout the first half of the season. I expect those guys to improve week by week and by the end of the year they will be awesome. The great news for them is that they don't play Giles or Lipscomb until the final two weeks of the regular season. Until then if they keep the improvement going on they have the talent and are now well enough coached to play with either of the top two teams and get into the playoffs easily.

Spring Hill is unbeaten in the region and I can certainly think of about four other teams that would love to be in their position today. They did what they had to in drilling an inferior opposition but it's a good confidence builder for them and a good thing because they needed it after playing two very strong teams to open the season. This week will be a good measuring stick because LC is a team that gave Giles all they wanted and then some and I do not think anyone will be calling Giles "a one year wonder" anytime soon.

Page is just going through too many injury issues to gauge right now. They beat a very good Fairview bunch and then have been shutdown the last two weeks against a 5A team and Lipscomb. Even in the win in week zero the offense was not very good as the Patriots only recorded three first downs in the game. Whenever Page gets healthy I can make an honest assessment on them. Look for them to be a second half team when the games are all region battles.

Cheatham Co. is a team that got hit with the injury bug as well this past week on game day. The Cubs are not a playoff caliber team today but like Page they are fortunate because the region games don't really hit hard until week six. If the skill guys can develop and the injured player can return healthy then I like the Cubs to come on strong down the road.

Creek Wood is in the same boat as the previous two teams I have mentioned (Page & CCCHS). The Red Hawks were without a star player in their offensive backfield I know for the opener against Clarksville. This past week they were beaten by a very good Marshall Co. bunch. Creek Wood is going to need some time to develop and to get healthy to make a run down the line in the second half of the season.

Montgomery Central's losing skid is now a 20 CONSECUTIVE GAMES!!!! The Indians latest loss came against a playoff team from last year and from the previous week they also lost to a playoff team from last year. This is a young football team that has a lot of growing up to do to compete in a very competitive region. Their next region game will be a huge tale tell sign as to whether they are going to contend at all this year with the other teams because their ending slate in the region with Marshall, Giles, & Lipscomb is VERY TOUGH!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Let me bump this one back to the front page.

Big Country gave a pretty good summary of what we have to this point.

With region play starting to kick into high gear there will certainly be some upsets.

Who do you think gets an unexpected region win to make the playoff race that much more interesting?