Best Team Ever

hamlet7478

They were pretty special. I would just like to know has any other team EVER in Tennessee gone undefeated, won the State Championship and finished # 1 in the nation??

Yes on undefeated..yes on State Champ..close on National rank-# 3 which by the way #1 was 23-0, #2 was 20-0 and # 3 was 23-0--so I guess SAA tied # 1's record....yes on two state records....yes on one goal against in regular season....yes on one goal in post season. I think in total SAA scored 134 goals and had two against. One all american. one academic all american, one MVP (Katy Hunter) plus numerous all tournament/ all state / all region / and all city honors. Five playing D1 in college...Two at Vanderbilt-One at Texas A & M, one at Austin Peay, and one at U of M.

While it's fun to compare the great teams of the past and not to take anything away from their great successes, the times have a changed and a champion team of today would probably beat a great team of the past.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes on undefeated..yes on State Champ..close on National rank-# 3 which by the way #1 was 23-0, #2 was 20-0 and # 3 was 23-0--so I guess SAA tied # 1's record....yes on two state records....yes on one goal against in regular season....yes on one goal in post season. I think in total SAA scored 134 goals and had two against. One all american. one academic all american, one MVP (Katy Hunter) plus numerous all tournament/ all state / all region / and all city honors. Five playing D1 in college...Two at Vanderbilt-One at Texas A & M, one at Austin Peay, and one at U of M.

While it's fun to compare the great teams of the past and not to take anything away from their great successes, the times have a changed and a champion team of today would probably beat a great team of the past.

Yeah since the game of Soccer has changed so much since 2005 And "Close" to #1 is NOT #1

They were pretty special. I would just like to know has any other team EVER in Tennessee gone undefeated, won the State Championship and finished # 1 in the nation??

The JPII was an exceptional team. An incredible team no doubt. I coached Meagen Forrester (vanderbilt) and Grace Lawson (Alabama) on my '88 club team that won 7 DI state championships. Very familiar with those players. Thay are as good as it gets. If I was biased, they would certainly be my pick. Meagen and Grace have no bigger fan or supporter than me. They are two of the best TN has ever seen in my opinion. That senior class at JP was unique and very talented. They won state, didnt lose and could play with anyone. National ranking #1. St. Agnes was #3. One certainly could make a case that JPII was the best team of all time in TN soccer history. But St. Agnes and Franklin of '92 did the same things.

JPII, St. Agnes, franklin '92 comparison. Fun comparison on my genuine thoughts before we played these teams.

I coached against JPII '05, St. Agnes '06 and the Franklin '92 team as either head coach or assistant coach for Notre Dame, St. Cecilia, and/or Franklin. All three teams were very dangerous but every team has a weak spot that you have to try and find and exploit. Franklin '92 weakspot was coaching. JPII weak spot was mental (sometimes lazy and inconsistent work rate). St. Agnes simply caused me more concern before we played them because they didnt really have a weak spot to take advantage of. They were not lazy, worked hard and had great talent, speed, and well coached. (also knew the SA players from club for playing against them for 7 years). Thats a team thats a problem to play.

I felt we could score on Franklin '92 with Notre Dame (felt we could outcoach them). I felt we could outwork JPII and make things interesting at St. Cecilia (beat us 4-0) although i knew we couldnt win. They should have beat us (12-0) considering what they had and what we had. Thus, JPII had a mental weakness of playing down to the level of competition instead of demonstrating a killer instinct and beating us like they should. If St. Cecilia can play the nations #1 ranked team to a 4-0, then there is room for questions, Cuz we had cheerleaders and volleyball players and cross country runners making up our soccer team(2 travel players). I think this is the only weakness JPII had. They just didnt always hustle and work like they should and to me, this deosnt allow me to put them as #1 of all time. Maybe #2 due to the awsome talent and coaching, but they still kept people in games when they shouldnt have.

We played St. Agnes with a very good Franklin team that won reionals and made quarter-finals in 06. They beat us 4-0 and there was nothing we could do. They simply out hustled us, scored 4 legitimate goals (first half alone) and we couldnt get behind their back 4 much less shoot on a great goalie. Keep in mind we had already beaten Colleirville (05 state champs and 06 state finalist), 4-0 earlier. We could score goals. St. Agnes shut us down. With St. Agnes, I felt like it would be very tough to score (organized zonal back 4 with national team pool player goalie, we couldnt outwork them(super hustle team), and everyone in their front 7 could score. In other words, no weaknesses either mental or physical. JPII put things on cruise control sometimes and that left them vulnerable from time to time to being upset and games being closer than they should have bee. Franklin '92 had all talent but not very sophisticated. ST. Agnes had no issues. And gave up 1 goal all season to Collerville (AAA state champ 05 and state finalist 06). Beat Franklin (AAA quarter finalist 06 4-0), so one cant say they didnt play anyone. They beat two very good AAA teams.

It is most likely that JPII played a tougher schedule '05 since the teams in Middle TN, were pretty strong that year (Father Ryan, BGA, Harpeth Hall) and for the most part the teams that st. agness played in the West seemed to be a little bit down that year. So this does pay into JPII's argument a good bit.

I hated the Franlikn '92 team cuz they kept beating my beloved Lady Irish(no bias here). But trust me, they were loaded from top to bottom and could play with anyone today. In girls soccer, weight lifting isnt a big part of it like football and other sports where earlier eras werent as big and strong in many boys sports and therefore todays teams are simply much better (football for sure id say). IN girls soccer, talent is talent, skill is skill, speed is speed, and goalkeeping is goalkeeping. Franlin '92 had it just like JPII and St. Agnes had it. The womens national team of the early 90's with Mia Hamm and company was probably better than today's team. So different era's in girls soccer doeasnt really matter if they had talent and coaching.

As more information comes in its probably easier to say these number of teams were some of the greats and what a great match to see them play. Much like watching the Bears '85 team play the undefeated Miami Dolphins. What a great game, but who knows who would win.

All of these teams were great and each year a state champion is crowned with great teams who had great years. Nothing should ever be taken away from those teams accomplishments. Certainly not a fun debate like this. But the best ever? fun debate, but every team is special in there own way and thats all that really matters. Everything else is just fun talk.

Id love to hear about some other teams and there players during the year they won state. there have been so many really good teams. How about the many Baylor teams that have been amazing, Bearden, Germantown(both of them), Hendersonville, Farragut, FRA, Franklin 00. Who else?

Yeah since the game of Soccer has changed so much since 2005 And "Close" to #1 is NOT #1

OK .. I was going to leave you alone, BUT since you want to state the obvious. You took the only point that didn't make SAA even or better and went after that. You avoided the other facts. I think I know better than you how good SAA was , BUT I also know how great JPII was. Not trying to take anything away, BUT is 1st in '05 the same as 3rd. '06??? What were the records. 23-0 is a great feat and nobody was better. They don't have ties and I have no clue what makes a team 20-0 higher ranked than 23-0. I ask you for the details/records and you have not provide that. I gave you my info, and am waiting for yours. You may be right, but for now you're "incomplete".

This is supposed to be for fun.......don't make it painful.

Shouldn't the BEST team of all-time be a "no-brainer" for being the best team in the state for that particular year? St. Agnes was a good team last year, but they were not the obvious choice as best team in the state. Before you St. Agnes fans scream, read what I just said. They were a good team. Just don't think they should be anyone's BEST ALL-TIME team from this state.

3 reasons.

(1) The schedule. Yes they played a few good teams, but look at when those games occurred. Franklin was an above-average team and they played them in the fourth game of a weekend tournament. Not the best time to show your true colors. St. Agnes also played Collierville and had to come from behind to win. The previous games, Collierville was beaten by their local rivals while St. Agnes warmed up with something called St. Benedict. Sorry, but St. Agnes didn't get the best Collierville had to offer. Throughout their schedule, they just had to show up to win most of the time. It's pretty easy to get up for a few opponents when you had so many breathers. And please do not spit out statistics when speaking of St. Agnes last year. 11 stiffs taken from the halls of many high schools could have won vs. many of those teams they played. 19 of their goals came against something called Harding, while 10 came vs. Lausanne? Look at their "real" games and compare those scores with the other teams that played them. Nothing too special.

(2) The year before. In earlier posts, people listed teams and ranges of dominant years, such as Ridgeway and Franklin in the '90s. They had some good runs, and if you took the best team from those runs, you probably had teams that should be considered in this discussion. If St. Agnes of '06 was the BEST all-time team, shouldn't they have done more the previous year? It was mostly the same team wasn't it? As far as I know, only one key addition in '06. This team would have won the state in '05 IF it truly was the BEST all-time team.

(3) Other teams in the state. As I said before, the BEST all-time team should obviously be the best team in the state that year. If you took St. Agnes, Bearden, Collierville, Houston, Brentwood (who didn't even get to the state tournament), and Baylor (before injuries diminished their chances of a state championship), I'm not sure St. Agnes would have the best record if the top teams all played a round-robin format tournament. The BEST all-time team would sweep through such an event.

St. Agnes was good, just not the best.

WOOPS!!!!!!!!! NUMBER 4

NSCAA/adidas?®

National Rankings

High School Fall Rankings Girls

National 10th Poll - November 15, 2005

Rank School Prev. W-L-T

1 Owen J. Roberts (Pottstown, Pa.) 1 21 - 0 - 2

2 Greece Arcadia (Rochester, N.Y.)* 3 20 - 0 - 0

3 LaSalle Academy (Providence, R.I.)* 2 19 - 0 - 0

4 Pope John Paul II (Nashville, Tenn.)* 4 22 - 0 - 2

5 Minnechaug Regional (Wilbraham, Mass.) 8 18 - 0 - 3

6 Shenendehowa (Clifton Park, N.Y.)* 9 20 - 0 - 1

7 Ursuline (Santa Rosa, Calif.) 7 17 - 1 - 2

8 Strongsville (Ohio)* 10 17 - 1 - 5

9 The Pingry School (Martinsville, N.J.) 15 19 - 1 - 0

10 The Pennington School (Pennington, N.J.)* 22 22 - 1 - 0

Shouldn't the BEST team of all-time be a "no-brainer" for being the best team in the state for that particular year? St. Agnes was a good team last year, but they were not the obvious choice as best team in the state. Before you St. Agnes fans scream, read what I just said. They were a good team. Just don't think they should be anyone's BEST ALL-TIME team from this state.

3 reasons.

(1) The schedule. Yes they played a few good teams, but look at when those games occurred. Franklin was an above-average team and they played them in the fourth game of a weekend tournament. Not the best time to show your true colors. St. Agnes also played Collierville and had to come from behind to win. The previous games, Collierville was beaten by their local rivals while St. Agnes warmed up with something called St. Benedict. Sorry, but St. Agnes didn't get the best Collierville had to offer. Throughout their schedule, they just had to show up to win most of the time. It's pretty easy to get up for a few opponents when you had so many breathers. And please do not spit out statistics when speaking of St. Agnes last year. 11 stiffs taken from the halls of many high schools could have won vs. many of those teams they played. 19 of their goals came against something called Harding, while 10 came vs. Lausanne? Look at their "real" games and compare those scores with the other teams that played them. Nothing too special.

(2) The year before. In earlier posts, people listed teams and ranges of dominant years, such as Ridgeway and Franklin in the '90s. They had some good runs, and if you took the best team from those runs, you probably had teams that should be considered in this discussion. If St. Agnes of '06 was the BEST all-time team, shouldn't they have done more the previous year? It was mostly the same team wasn't it? As far as I know, only one key addition in '06. This team would have won the state in '05 IF it truly was the BEST all-time team.

(3) Other teams in the state. As I said before, the BEST all-time team should obviously be the best team in the state that year. If you took St. Agnes, Bearden, Collierville, Houston, Brentwood (who didn't even get to the state tournament), and Baylor (before injuries diminished their chances of a state championship), I'm not sure St. Agnes would have the best record if the top teams all played a round-robin format tournament. The BEST all-time team would sweep through such an event.

St. Agnes was good, just not the best.

I won't scream,. In fact getting tired of fighting the "anti's". The question was T H E greatest team, not the best program or the longest winning streak, just The Team. Yes SAA had to wade through weak teams because they were district games and I fought that battle last year. They beat every body they played including the best. Look at katy hunter, someone commented last year that they beat teams going in that were like 18-2. They beat good teams early and great teams late. As for 2005, not important for being T H E team. But pick this apart if you wish. They didn't win State, but they were there.

St Agnes Academy - 05 - Girls

School: St Agnes School No.: 0477

Div II Conference: Div II West Women's Soccer

Office: 4830 Walnut Grove Rd

Memphis TN 38117 Phone: (901) 435-5860

Coach: Bobby Ireland Last Updated: 11/07/05

Girl's - DIV II "Top Eleven" Rankings - #03

Girl's - Redmond Tennessee 11 Ranking - #09

Date Opponent, Rank(nn) Opponent

(w-l-t) Time

Score All

Games Conf

Games Comments

08/13 % at Father Ryan(05) (19-3-0) L 2-3 0-0-0 0-0-0

08/13 % at BGA(08) (10-5-3) T 2-2 0-0-0 0-0-0 Forfeit to opponent -

08/24 * St Mary's (6-10-1) W 4-1 1-0-0 1-0-0

08/30 * at ECS(06) (16-4-1) T 2-2 1-0-1 1-0-1

09/02 vs Shelbyville Central (12-8-1) W 5-0 2-0-1 1-0-1 Katie Hunter

09/03 vs Franklin (10-6-3) L 1-2 2-1-1 1-0-1 KATIE HUNTER

@OAK RIDGE

09/03 vs Franklin Road Acad.(04) (20-4-3) T 1-1 2-1-2 1-0-1 Katie Hunter IX

09/04 vs Smyrna (5-13-2) W 6-0 3-1-2 1-0-1 Katie Hunter IX

Katie Hunter IX @Katie Hunter

09/09 vs Pope John Paul II(01)(01) (21-0-2) L 1-2 3-2-2 1-0-1 Germantown Soccerfest 2005 @ Johnson Road

@Mike Rose Soccer Complex

09/10 at GPS(04) (12-8-2) W 2-0 4-2-2 1-0-1

09/11 vs Harpeth Hall(09) (7-9-6) W 3-1 5-2-2 1-0-1 Germantown Soccerfest 2005

09/13 * at Lausanne (3-11-1) W 6-0 6-2-2 2-0-1

09/15 * St George's (12-6-0) W 6-0 7-2-2 3-0-1

09/20 * Briarcrest (4-9-0) W 9-1 8-2-2 4-0-1

09/22 * IC (1-9-0) W 7-0 9-2-2 5-0-1

09/27 * Hutchison(07) (14-4-2) T 3-3 9-2-3 5-0-2

09/29 * St Benedict(11) (9-8-0) W 10-1 10-2-3 6-0-2

10/04 Cordova (11-6-2) W 9-1 11-2-3 6-0-2

10/06 * at Harding Acdy (4-9-0) W 6-1 12-2-3 7-0-2

10/17 Briarcrest (4-9-0) W 7-0 13-2-3 7-0-2

10/18 vs Hutchison(07) (14-4-2) W 1-0 14-2-3 7-0-2 Division II Regional Tournament

@Mike Rose

10/20 vs ECS(06) (16-4-1) W 5-0 15-2-3 7-0-2 D2 West Finals

D2 West Finals @Mike Rose Stadium

10/26 vs BGA(08) (10-5-3) W 2-1 16-2-3 7-0-2 TSSAA Div. II State Tournament

TSSAA Div. II State Tournament @GPS

% Exhibition/Scrimmage Matches Not in Cumulative results

* Div II West Women's Soccer Matches

Combined W-L-T record of Opponents: 177-129-29

Goals Scored: 96 - Goals Allowed: 17

Exhibition matches are excluded from these totals