South Pittsburg's 3 Stata Championship Teams

OLD PIRATE

There are 10 times more schools and Football teams now then back then....We are talking about SP teams not Marion County's or anybody else for that matter...Football is like every other sport it GROWS each year like technology... Everything is bigger, faster, and better.... 30 years from now things will have changed a great bit, and Alot of people will be old farts trying to state there case but they will be delusional as well...

First off there are about the same number of teams, maybe even fewer. Sure there are are the parochial group that popped up recently in Chatt. But there has been a lot of fallen banners over the years.

On top of that some good schools were closed down or merged. One good example is Walland. They were a power in 'A' football and won a Championship during the tough years to make the playoffs and made them several times before being closed in the mid to late 70s. Riverside and Kirkman Tech were closed in Chatt, they weren't great in football but had numerous state titles in Basketball between the 2, and they've been closed for years along with the City Dynamoes. Holston High and Rule High in Knoxville were closed. Austin and East High were merged to Austin-East, and South High and Young High were merged into South-Young High in Knoxville. Madisonville is also gone. I can't say much about Nashville and Memphis.

Secondly, you can't talk about Pirate football without talking about other teams. Even though jasper has been in a different classification for 20 years or more, it still an important game. Its sort of like life. There are certain things you have to do . . . take out the trash . . . and beat the warriors ever year.

Finally, South Pittsburg has a tradition and like it or not its tied to programs like Sweetwater in the older days and Trousdale County in more recent times and Gordsonville since the early 80s. Then there were the forgotten rivalries that were flat out battles, Stevenson and Bridgeport. Plus, the pirates used to have a knack for playing teams in the playoff during the 70s that were moving up to AA the following year after winning an 'A' State title Rockwood and Alcoa not to mention BA.

Edit: I didn't even mention Castle Heights, SMA or TMI.

Edit Edit: TPS closed in 2002.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Pirate is ALL SMILES, OP says tell those fuzz face guys. Hey, ZP you are not as old as some of these old pirates, but Bridgeport had a spread offense with David Coates as QB. The Bridgeport team was extremely tough for several years and beat the 72 Pirates with Coach Hale and friends. OP remembers the Thomas boys, Steve & Doc who were recievers and Gary Rorex @ RB, there was a spread offense around in the day. David Coates went on to QB the Ole Miss. Rebels.

PLEASE............these fuzz faces are beginning to ruffle some old pirates grey hair. OH, well maybe all still have some hair. OP remembers this same kind of smack talk going on prior to that first old timers game when Danny Wilson was in SP. The youngons got a wake up call, and some from the sidelines. The old pirates whipped their tails that night and the game ended in a tie after Dale Gibson's 40 yd field goal attempt hit the cross bar as time ran out. The goober refs failed to mark the ball back in the center of the field after a pass to the left flat fell incomplete. The refs marked it on the left hash making a more difficult field goal. The attempt was backed up 15 yds for an unsportsman like penalty. Yes the refs were youngons, figure that out.

Hey, old pirates how many of you particpated in the PuntPass, & Kick contests. The fuzz faces couldn't out do the old pirates today with PP&K. OP says the youngons have learned to talk alot............. OP can remember tha hall of fame reflecting records for track. The youngons say, TRACK???????????????? whats that?????????? That is what old pirates did in the day. The fuzz faces probably never attempted a high jump,broad jump. OP can remember trck meets at the old field,that is where the softball field is today for the youngons. Jim Beene, Larry Phelps. Donny Phelps, Rusty Adcock, Johnny Reames. The kicking & passing done in the neighborhood yards of yesteryear have been replaced by the remote. You know the ones on your computers.

YES,THINGS HAVE CHANGED hurricaneditka, but not all for the better.

the 69 team had no fear - tough guys

one thing i want to say about the 85 and 86 year at sphs, these 2 teams would not have gotten to the heights that they got to if the class of 85 with guys such as Vic Grider, Jimmy Layne, Chris Jones, Greg Jacobs and several other seniors....they helped the program get back on it's feet when it was down

94 team was great

98 team may have been the toughest

99 team was the most versatile

however, the 2007 team may be the fastest and we'll see what happens

the 69 team had no fear - tough guys

one thing i want to say about the 85 and 86 year at sphs, these 2 teams would not have gotten to the heights that they got to if the class of 85 with guys such as Vic Grider, Jimmy Layne, Chris Jones, Greg Jacobs and several other seniors....they helped the program get back on it's feet when it was down

94 team was great

98 team may have been the toughest

99 team was the most versatile

however, the 2007 team may be the fastest and we'll see what happens

I can agree with that but i wonder, does any of you in crowd statistical guys have an official 40 time for Wigfall. Im pretty sure i saw him rip off some almost 100 yard runs in like 3.4 seconds or less. Of course i could be off a tenth or two there. I've seen them all through the years but this guy deserves a bronze statue somewhere around that school.

Football is bred into these kids? You must be pretty young. Back in the ancient days noway could you drive around town and not see pick-up football games in every other yard. We had no computers, satellite Tv's, play stations, cell phones, etc. What we did have was a football,baseball, and a basketball. Most of the guys I played with walked or ran home after practice. The stands were packed with standing room only every Friday night. The game has changed as far as the schemes, but as High School players no way are the kids faster, bigger, stronger, or smarter. You are right about the weights though, we did our work-outs throwing hay into a truck or shaking out down lodge. I for one am proud of all the Pirates whether they won a state championship or not. To say that football today is more important than years past is quite a stretch. I really enjoyed the smarter comment... On my team alone we have doctors, engineers, Town leaders, computer scientists, heck Jim Beene was even a Rhode Scholar.

And you must be pretty old....Times have changed whether you have the knowledge to admit it or not...

Wigfall would be right with them if not faster I'm sure. He could probably still move, still in great shape. But he is also a great guy and supporter of sphs.

I can agree with that but i wonder, does any of you in crowd statistical guys have an official 40 time for Wigfall. Im pretty sure i saw him rip off some almost 100 yard runs in like 3.4 seconds or less. Of course i could be off a tenth or two there. I've seen them all through the years but this guy deserves a bronze statue somewhere around that school.

Phil Beene was the Principal in '69. But if he caught one of his players drinking a coke/pepsi you would have thought it was a bud!

Plus, some of the Pirates used to be able to play basketball in the off-season and were pretty darn competitive at it. There has always been some fast pirates around. Football has changed a lot, but its still about blocking and tackling.

Use the rules the '69 or '77 Pirates played by and these young kids would have a different attitude.

Lets see, from the beginning of time through the mid80s the Pirates used to throw the ball 5 or 6 times a game. Chris Ferrel through it a little more. How many times do they throw it now? Plus imagine if the old teams had the equipment and facilities these kids have.

You are right on about that...But they didnt have the facilities or equipment to use...Coaches didnt have a VCR to rewind and watch film the actually used film... There is alot that has changed , the basics stay the same, but alot has improved...

Old Pirate says neither the 94 or 99 team had a player that could replace Wigfall. Wig was fast but very elusive with his patented limp leg move left jock straps dangling. 40 times was not referred to quiet as much then as today.

100 yd time was the more recognized time.

He became a legend then is still a living legend today. Quiet possibly the best player to ever wear the orange/black.

If you talk about Running Backs at sphs, and there have been some greats, the first name you will hear will be Jimmy Wigfall.

Old Pirate says neither the 94 or 99 team had a player that could replace Wigfall. Wig was fast but very elusive with his patented limp leg move left jock straps dangling. 40 times was not referred to quiet as much then as today.

100 yd time was the more recognized time.

He became a legend then is still a living legend today. Quiet possibly the best player to ever wear the orange/black.