WHO IS MARYVILLE REBEL'S HARDEST GAME THIS SEASON?

OLDINDIAN77

Does Maryville ever consider scheduling some good 5A schools? I can't really argue with GQ's system, he has built a empire down there. I know he plays Heritage and WB, but do you think there has been serious consideration in playing a top ranked 5A school? I know Maryville regularly scrimmages good 5A programs and has success, but Friday nights are different. With the slight decline in 4A in the area, I would think that to get good competition you might look outside 4A. I can see the nothing to gain side of the argument since all that really matters is winning the 4A state title, but I would think it would be great, and go a long way toward making the statement that Maryville truly is the best football school in the state of Tennessee. Don't flame me, it's an honest question.

unfortunaly this is where money rears its ugly head again. i think im right in saying each team has 11 weeks to play 10 games, maryville has 7 region games and three county schools that always create a big gate therefore they have no room to play anyone else unless they give up one of the 2 5a schools in the county cause i know they aint givin up alcoa. yes if they scheduled a perrenial 5a powerhouse they would have a nice gate but on the away years you would have travel expenses, again this is just IMO.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunaly this is where money rears its ugly head again. i think im right in saying each team has 11 weeks to play 10 games, maryville has 7 region games and three county schools that always create a big gate therefore they have no room to play anyone else unless they give up one of the 2 5a schools in the county cause i know they aint givin up alcoa. yes if they scheduled a perrenial 5a powerhouse they would have a nice gate but on the away years you would have travel expenses, again this is just IMO.

That's almost verbatim what I was thinking as a response. The one thing that I'd add is that it's a two way street. On top of all the things Matback said, there's also the fact that a big 5A has more to lose than gain by playing MHS. If the 5A wins then they don't prove a whole lot, but if they lose it could affect their team and the rest of the season. So, it's not that MHS never "considers" playing outside their typical schedule, but I'm also guessing that not a lot of teams are banging down the door trying to make it happen.

That's almost verbatim what I was thinking as a response. The one thing that I'd add is that it's a two way street. On top of all the things Matback said, there's also the fact that a big 5A has more to lose than gain by playing MHS. If the 5A wins then they don't prove a whole lot, but if they lose it could affect their team and the rest of the season. So, it's not that MHS never "considers" playing outside their typical schedule, but I'm also guessing that not a lot of teams are banging down the door trying to make it happen.

Papa I guess great minds think alike. by the way if/when Maryville does get bumped into 5A in 2009 what region will they be in most likely? anybody?

If Maryville moves to 5A I hope they moved to region 2-5A with Farragut. We really need to drop Ooltewah and Soddy Daisy. Those schools are too far to travel for friday night games. I wouldn't worry too much about having to play Maryville every year, cause to be the best you gotta beat the best, right? The unfortunate thing about 5A is the upper east tn and chattanooga teams. DB and Science Hill, Ooltewah and Soddy Daisy, don't have any other 5A programs close geographically, so the Knoxville 5A schools get split up. Karns and Bearden are 5 minutes from Farragut, but not in our region.

I understand about Maryville needing the gate money. That's hard for anyone to turn down year after year. I just thought it would make for some great matchups.

Papa hit the nail on the head... What kind of stupid 5a school would want to come and get embarassed by Maryville?? Now of course im joking for all you Maryville haters, but seriously...

Maryville's toughest game this year will be William Blount although it wont look like it after the game is over. However, I believe that whatever team Maryville plays in the state championship game will be able to beat the govs.

Saying that I truly hope the govs win the 5a state championship for a few reasons... 1) IF maryville beats them (and i did say IF) then the 5a talk should stop but wont... 2) That could possibly bring 3 gold balls back to Blount County.... 3) Classy guys like Govman deserve state championships

Papa,

True about any other school accept Maryville. I doubt there is any coach or school in all of Tennessee, regardless of classification, that wouldn't love to be able to say "we beat Maryville". I agree with your point, I just think rules that apply to other schools regarding size, don't apply when talking about Maryville.

Papa,

True about any other school accept Maryville. I doubt there is any coach or school in all of Tennessee, regardless of classification, that wouldn't love to be able to say "we beat Maryville". I agree with your point, I just think rules that apply to other schools regarding size, don't apply when talking about Maryville.

Okay...I may be getting a little too psychological here, but hey I do happen to have a little bit of authority in that area....

But my thought is not so much for the coaches as the players. I think most coaches out there know enough to not put too much stock in classification. However, if you're a kid and you lose that can do things to you. Especially if you are not accustomed to losing. No one is asserting that MHS should schedule cupcake 5A teams; they are saying that MHS should play the top teams...teams that are used to winning. If you're a coach and you don't know how your team might respond to hardship, then I think you err on the side of caution and don't go out of your way to schedule an MHS type team who could derail your winning ways. It's not the same as for a 2A school like Alcoa. A smaller school has everything to gain and nothing to lose. They get the experience, they get the competition and if they lose it's no big deal because they are supposed to lose. But a 5A powerhouse doesn't have that same luxury. They are supposed to win...even if it's against Maryville. So you don't throw that bump into the road unless you have to. You rely on your schedule to be hard enough without bringing in a Maryville to possibly spoil things. And in the weeks when you do get to pick your opponents, you don't pick a fight with the baddest guy on the block.

That's just my opinion. It's not worth much of anything since I'm not a coach and I'm not doing the scheduling. But if I did coach a Riverdale or an Oak Ridge, it's how I'd be thinking before picking up the phone to call GQ.

I'd want to take my kids to the 'Boro and not risk adding to the degree of difficulty in doing so...also think about how preparing for a team like Maryville must be so much more difficult than prepping for your less complicated offenses and defenses. That's one full week that your coaches and kids must devote to an opponent that is very unlike most other teams and all for a game that doesn't benefit you in the rankings even if you win.

So yeah, anyone would love to say we beat Maryville. But not everyone would be okay with saying yeah we're just another statistic in the streak, and for what really...bragging rights?

I'd just like to know who the three goobers were that didn't vote Maryville #1 in the latest AP Poll.....

there are always 1 or 2 who think that maryville is overrated or that this is the year for one of the teams out west to roll or they saw hillsboro or henry county last friday or whatever week it was when they executed well and beat up on somebody they should have and they want to be different and pick someone else, and one day they will be right

somebody will jump up and beat the rebels. just not this year.