Bearden VS Farragut

coach1076

This game always concerns me. I remember in the late 90's bearden held the upper hand on Farragut despite having inferior players. Farragut has been impressive, but against far from competitive teams. West was crippled without Ryan, Central was crippled without Wilson, Heritage was just Heritage. Farragut hasn't been challenged at all this year. But then I look at Bearden only scored 1 TD against a weak DB team, not the offensive explosion of a power house. Martland was less than spectacular against West and Heritage. If Martland plays like he should Bearden's in trouble. One thing in Farragut's favor is the fact that none of Bearden's players can remember ever beating Farragut. If Farragut jumps out early, I look for Bearden to pack it in and give up. All the rah-rah stuff will be gone after half a quarter, and then it's just about the better team playing up to their capabilities. Farragut 35 - 17 over Bearden. Sterling Rolls.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sterling go for 200+.. I believe he did it against Bearden last year... I hate predicting these games...... I was shocked to see in the KNS today that as amazing as people make Dawson out to be as a qb, he has less yds than Martland and 5 more ints. I am not surprised to see Sterling having the edge in rushing, and I was also surprised to see that Zack Allen for Farragut wasn't too far, in yards, behind Bearden's best receiver. Oh yeah he also has more tds than him.. By best I mean in yards..... Interesting.... So Bearden is supposed to have the better offense.. according to some people, but it just doesn't show up in the stats. I know stats aren't everything, but when you want to claim you have a better offense it would be nice to atleast have better stats... I guess my prediction will be, if Farragut can stop the Bearden passing they will be fine. The secondary for Farragut has concerned me for about 3 years now.. it just never seems to be as good as the rest of the team.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sterling go for 200+.. I believe he did it against Bearden last year... I hate predicting these games...... I was shocked to see in the KNS today that as amazing as people make Dawson out to be as a qb, he has less yds than Martland and 5 more ints. I am not surprised to see Sterling having the edge in rushing, and I was also surprised to see that Zack Allen for Farragut wasn't too far, in yards, behind Bearden's best receiver. Oh yeah he also has more tds than him.. By best I mean in yards..... Interesting.... So Bearden is supposed to have the better offense.. according to some people, but it just doesn't show up in the stats. I know stats aren't everything, but when you want to claim you have a better offense it would be nice to atleast have better stats... I guess my prediction will be, if Farragut can stop the Bearden passing they will be fine. The secondary for Farragut has concerned me for about 3 years now.. it just never seems to be as good as the rest of the team.

I can see your point, but Halladay is asked to do alot for the Bulldogs. He is also a great team leader. I don't think that Bearden has near the offensive threat that Farragut has, but they are doing things as a team. Although Halladay is the teams leader, he encourages and picks up his team. He is very athletic, and has a great arm. He also makes good decisions. By far the best QB in the area.

It also is a much more even playing field tonight with the rain. Although everone says the running game is much better for the rain, it also slows down good backs. The rain could very well take Sterling out of his game.

If the rain continues look for Bearden to come out the winner. I just have this gut feeling that Bearden is destined this year. You can sure see the team atmosphere on the sideline.

Leonard, I agree that playing conditions can be a great equalizer. It is commonly thought that wet field conditions favor the passing teams, but I'm not sure who has the better passing team after viewing the stats in the Sentinel. I thought for sure Bearden would have a decided difference in passing stats. I like Farragut's DL in this match up. Just like the receiver has an advantage in running his route because the DB must react to it, so does the DL in rushing the QB because the OL has to react to the pass rush scheme. If Farragut can pressure Halliday without having to commit more than 1 LB to the rush, it will be a long night for Bearden. I am totally discounting Torey Works however, and he may be the guy that has the most impact on the game. I wouldn't want to have to try to corral Sterling on a wet field, he's superior balance will serve him well tonight. I would commit 7 in the box and make Martland beat me if I were Bearden. I'd gladly trade his 7-8 yard completions for Sterling's 60 yd. runs. Although successful in the passing game I don't know if the Farragut receivers can take a short pass the distance.

update 1) Bearden is up 7-0 with 9 minutes left in the 1st qtr. Works had a 58ish yard td run. Bearden had 2 3rd down conversions on the drive.. 1 the play before Works' run.

update 2) Bearden has the ball again at their 30. Bearden is now 3/3 on 3rd downs this last one because of pass interference. Farragut has 3 penalties for 35yds.

update 3) End of 1st quarter. Bearden up 7-0 and has the ball for a third time.

Start of 2nd Bearden passes down to the 15. So looks like Bearden is about to score again.

update 4) Bearden kicks a field goal.. Bearden up 10-0.

update 5) Farragut scores on Sterling 6yd run. Bearden up 10-7 with 6:52 left in 2nd.

update 6) Dawson is hit from behind.. arm might have been going forward, but it is ruled a fumble. I can't tell you what really happened cause I am listening on radio. Bearden then gets a penalty. Farragut takes over at the 8yd. line. Sterling scores from 2yds out. Farragut up 14-10. according to the radio guy Sterling has 100+yds, Works for Bearden has around 80.

Update 7) Farragut up 14-10 at Half

update 8) Farragut scores.. Zack Allen 20yd TD reception..

Farragut up 21-10. 8:53 left in 3rd.

update 9) Works fumbles when Bearden was moving down the field rather easily. Farragut recovers.

update 10) Martland throws a int when Farragut was driving. Forced into double coverage. Bearden returns it to the 50.

update 11) Martland throws another int.. this one was tipped at the line.

this is just my opinion here.. not sure why Farragut is passing when Sterling has 150+ yds.. run

I-FORMATION!!!!!!! it always seems that they will give it to Sterling out of the spread then see that he doesn't gain 20yards and then go to the pass.. stupid.

update 12) Bearden scores, goes for 2 and is successful, Farragut up 21-18.

update 13) Bearden stops Farragut at the 1.

update 14) Bearden gets another 3rd down conversion.. then gets a huge play down to the Farragut 17. Bearden kicks a fg and ties the game 21-21.

update 15) Overtime!

I am just going to keep updating this post.. the newest update will be in bold..

Farragut wins 35-28 in 2OTs! Halliday rolls out on 4th down and can't get in the endzone..

alot closer of a game than I thought it might be.. I mean I knew it would be close, but I didn't think it would go to ot.. congrats to Farragut on the win and good luck to Bearden the rest of the year.

looks like we are back to how it used to be... The loser of the can drive wins the game.. Apparently Bearden collected 94lbs per student to Farragut's 42lbs.. The combined lbs beat the old record for most lbs total from last years game by 120,000 lbs. The total collected was 279,502lbs. Basically it would appear that Bearden dominated Farragut in the can drive. I estimate that Bearden had around 194,000lbs to Farragut's 85,000. I was way off. oh well.

Yeah, 2OTs in 2001, @ Bearden.. Bearden won 49-42. If I remember correctly Farragut had a dropped td pass in their part of the 2nd OT that game... It was also the last time Bearden beat Farragut.

Thanks, I was there that night. I thought they had one in the last 4 years. I gusee not. However ther have been plenty of close games that kept everyone on the edge of their seats.