A lenoir city winning streek?

lcpanther67

1. It is not a hotbed of athleticism or purebred talent. (Most of the schools in their region have alot more talent to start with)

2. The community support outside of the parents is not where it should be. They don't support you unless you are a winner. That being said, it's probably not too different from most places in that regard. It's one of those situations. What should come first support before success or success before support?

3. The community has high expectations, while the administration has low or non-existent expectations unfortunately the administrators are the ones you have to please. I'm pretty sure Coach White does what they ask him to do.

4. Coaches are only trusted to run their programs until some parent complains the most and he or she happens to know so and so and the next thing you know you are looking for a job. (Extremely political)

5. Coaches aren't allowed to motivate kids because motivation at Lenoir City is viewed as pressure, and coaches shouldn't pressure kids to want more. In other words if the 15 year old that can't understand the value of hard work doesn't want to work, the coaches shouldn't push him.

6. Someone on here said that head coaches should stand by their convictions. I stood by my convictions and I was shown the door. I motivated my kids and pushed them everyday. And because of that I was labled as "insubordinate and hard headed". I was told on many occasions that I was working the kids too hard and that I was going to burn out. What a joke. If you don't work that hard you can't compete. That is the only reason our basketball team kept most games close. Believe me it had nothing to do with coaching. Those kids worked.

7. There is a guy in charge over there that really couldn't care less about athletics.

8. The facilities are extremely dated.

9. There is no athletic period.

10. The feeder programs do not prepare the kids for this level of competition.

And I'll end with what I started with. There are not alot of athletes in the school. Even if every basketball player was out and every soccer player was out they still don't have the athletes to compete. My fastest basketball player could run 4.9 and had a 33 inch vertical. He could bench press 195. That is not what you would call a difference maker.

When you add all this together. The best coach in America couldn't make a difference.

I'm sure if you talked to the administration they will tell you what you want to hear. They would probably also say that I'm some disgruntled former employee spouting off because I am mad. But on the contrary, I'm thankful that I am in a better situation. But you don't have to take my word for it. Just ask most of the parents whos child I had the pleasure of coaching. They will tell you what it's like. Like I said I'm in no way shape or form upset. Everything I have mentioned I have observed with my own two eyes.

I hope this helps all of you to understand.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reply:

1-I don't see Loudon or Clinton having "alot more talent to start with" and they handle LC pretty easy most years.

2- True- most signs in windows or outside stores say "Go Vols" whereas just down the road they say "Go Redskins"

3- I'm still a little cloudy on what "they ask him to do". If they have "low or non-existent expectations" for the programs at LCHS (which I'm sure some do) why do they interfere so much as some has said on here.

4-I believe that this is somewhat true "Extremely political" however this goes back to number 3, why do they interfere.

5-I can't speak for other sports, but I happen to know that the football coaches push these kids pretty dang hard. Most all parents understand that football is a hard tough sport and if someone happens to throw up, well thats just the way it is. I have heard Coach White (and the other coaches) get on these kids to not quit, trying to motivate them so I don't know about this one.

6- Yes coaches of any sport at any level should stand by what they say. You can't tell people one thing, then reverse that for certain players within the same week, everyone on the team knows it. Letting certain players get by easier than others is viewed as favortisim plain and simple. Again I can't speak for other sports, but this is like number 5. I don't know who said these kids don't work hard, but working all summer and out in 100 degree heat, running, lifting and etc is working hard. They practice 5 days a week and I'm sure some work harder than others, but the effort is there. They have had a very high attendence percentage since spring practice.

7- I'm not sure what "guy in charge over there that really couldn't care less about athletics" you are speaking of. You don't work for him anymore, name names and we'll have a talk with him. I'm sure we could find some parents who would like to chew on his ear for a little while.

8- True, I do know the stadium is 40 years old and the gym is 39 years old. The field looks good but the rest of the stadium is in need of a facelift badly.

9- I agree 100%. These athletes at LCHS need a chance to keep up an evermore demanding work load at school while trying to compete at any sport.

10- Someone else answered that Knoxville hasn't had "Middle School" football for over 25 years, so I'm not buying this one. I know Blount Co has a program, but when that is the only teams on the schedule we can't beat, then we'll worry about that. It has even been said that Knoxville's program is even less involved with High Schools that LC's.

"My fastest basketball player could run 4.9 and had a 33 inch vertical. He could bench press 195." I ask around and all the starting wide reveivers, running backs, the quarterback and also the starting kicker all run faster than that and most all bench more than that. The 2nd string will run in that range also. Some have said thats pretty slow for a basketball player, I don't know about that.

I leave with this question, when LC gets beat off the ball, misses tackles, runs the wrong route, etc it is the players fault, when Tennessee does it, it's the coaches fault (and they take the blame for not teaching the player correctly). How does that work?

The man you seek runs the whole shebang. Go look at the new technical (vocational) facility and compare it with the athletic facilities and you will see where the priorities lie.

I guarantee those 40 times and weight totals are accurate. If you saw us play you would understand. I hope LC gets things going in the right direction. Being from there, I've always had a sense of Pride and still do. Unfortunately it's now EAGLE PRIDE.

The man you seek runs the whole shebang. Go look at the new technical (vocational) facility and compare it with the athletic facilities and you will see where the priorities lie.

I guarantee those 40 times and weight totals are accurate. If you saw us play you would understand. I hope LC gets things going in the right direction. Being from there, I've always had a sense of Pride and still do. Unfortunately it's now EAGLE PRIDE.

I would assume Coachinhoops is talking about the School Superintendent, Mr. Miller. I have heard the same thing, that he couldn't care less about sports programs in the LC Schools. It definitely shows. It would be the same thing as a University Presdident not caring about the athletic programs at their University. With this said, I still think you can win or at least be competitive at LC in Football with the right people in place. THere is talent on this team to at least be somewhat competitive, rather than get their brains beat in every week. Something good needs to happen so the kids believe they can win.

One more thing lcfootball. As for Loudon having more talent. Josh Hawkins signed a scholarship with the University of Tennessee last year. They had a couple others that signed scholarships from that team. Ben Everett is being looked at by some DI schools. I don't remember the last DI who played for Lenoir City. I can promise that Clinton has a deeper athlete pool to chose from than Lenoir City. There may be flaws in the coaching, heck all of us have flaws. I'm just telling you that in order to do what you have to do to even be competitive at LC would take 100% support from the administration and the parents.