A lenoir city winning streek?

lcpanther67

There are alot of good points made on why Lenoir City does not win. Maxi6 makes the most sense on here that I have read so far. Bottom line is, players make plays. LCHS does not have the number of players needed to make plays in 4A Football. No team speed, no strength (only 1 player can bench press over275 lbs.).Most kids on the team want to win, however, I don't think there is a "Team" atmosphere . Lack of Senior leadership seems to hurt year in and year out. Winning has alot to do with attitude. You have to believe you can win. The coaches have to believe in the players and earn their respect and the players (and parents) have to belive in the coaches . The parents have to let the coaches do the coaching. LCHS has won in the past and will win again, it's just a matter of time and believing they can do it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It goes back to developing talent. Now that LC is larger, they need to get the interest of more kids and then develop the talent so you have a bigger pool to pick from. Look to other sports. Loudon several years ago got two players (Queen, Senior and Laughlin, Junior) who never played HS football. The first year Queen was all region and Laughlin started on defense as an end. LC need sot go back to the days of multiple sport players, but the coaches do not work together to try this. Each coaches wants his player almost year around in their sport. I do like the fact that Coach White recruited a soccer player (Cook) to kick. The may be some more talent on the basketball or soccer teams (some of then girls look big too).

We'll have to agree to disagree a little on this one. Central is a very good team year in and year out. This is the first year that I can remember in probably the past decade where they really look vulnerable. I'll admit, West hasn't always been that great of a team, not until a couple of years ago. I think that AE fits your definition of 'beats you brains out some years' better than any team in either region. Some years, AE is one of the best in the state, and other years, they can barely make the playoffs. Either way, region 2-3A has changed a lot ever since the last reclassification. The addition of Catholic made that region much more difficult. Before that, it was always a battle between Fulton, AE, and everyone else. I would say that Central, Fulton, and AE are usually on about the same level. That being said, I think both regions are pretty even. A few years ago, I'd have said region 3-4A was more difficult, but not now.

[/quote

Joel does a good job and his teams are well coached, but I think Central is subject to the same talent cycle that most high school teams have to deal with (Maryville being the exception) In the mid to late 90's for example, I believe Central was down a bit. Yes, year in year I would say AE, Central and West are about the same. I have to rate Fulton a little higher, though. Catholic, if they keep getting the kind of talent and coaching they have had for the last couple of years, I would put them up with Fulton every year. If Maryville goes 5-A next time, I think 2-3A is just as hard or harder to compete in.

There are alot of good points made on why Lenoir City does not win. Maxi6 makes the most sense on here that I have read so far. Bottom line is, players make plays. LCHS does not have the number of players needed to make plays in 4A Football. No team speed, no strength (only 1 player can bench press over275 lbs.).Most kids on the team want to win, however, I don't think there is a "Team" atmosphere . Lack of Senior leadership seems to hurt year in and year out. Winning has alot to do with attitude. You have to believe you can win. The coaches have to believe in the players and earn their respect and the players (and parents) have to belive in the coaches . The parents have to let the coaches do the coaching. LCHS has won in the past and will win again, it's just a matter of time and believing they can do it.

I agree that the Seniors need to be the leaders but it's hard when the coaches won't allow the kids to do the leading. You have to be in the click to be a leader or a good friend of the coach to be a leader and this is not what these boys need, they need coaches and the leading will follow. Stick to what you say and the respect will come, even if your name is Meyers!!

Where do we start??? I think that we do have athletes on the team but they haven't been coached in the 4 years they have been there. Seniors on the line are huge but haven't got much better, no coaching!! 3 years ago it was an honor to be a freshmen and to get chosen to dress out for maybe the last 2 games. Now we have tons of Freshmen dressing out to make it look like we have lots of players. Fact is, it's going to get worse before it gets better. The entire offensive and defensive lines are graduating. Satterfield and Edwards also are gone. I see 0-10 next year.

From what I have seen so far this year, I don't think losing the entire offensive line or Satterfield will be a big loss for next years team. I see a very anemic offense that can't even score any points, much less cross mid-field in most games. Outscored 69-0 in the past 2 games doesn't speak well for the offense or defense. As I said before, it takes players to win games (speed, size, strength), I don't care who the coach is...

From what I have seen so far this year, I don't think losing the entire offensive line or Satterfield will be a big loss for next years team. I see a very anemic offense that can't even score any points, much less cross mid-field in most games. Outscored 69-0 in the past 2 games doesn't speak well for the offense or defense. As I said before, it takes players to win games (speed, size, strength), I don't care who the coach is...

It does take players, but coaches need to get the most from what they have. LC continues to do the same thing over and over and expect different results. (Einstein??™s definition of insanity).

A few coaching ideas.

Offense: Pass patterns are breaking at the same time and not sequentially. Teach the QB to make reads and not watch one receiver down the field. Satterfield can throw the ball, but the coaches are trying difficult passes. Simplify the routes. Offensive line: LC does not have the size to zone or head up block consistently. Trap, fold, cross,.....there are several options available. Anderson County was having a field day off the trap block.

Defense: LC does not have the personnel to run the 4-3. Anderson County ran the 5-4 and successfully shut down the LC run game. LC could learn from this. Defensive backs are lost. They are missing reads and have problems lining up. Also, when teams are inside the 10 yard line, LC insists on staying in the 4 man line. Once they changed to a five front. Ever heard of a goal line defense?

These are just a few examples of how coaches could get more out of the players they currently have on the team. You can not wish for what you do not have. Make the most of it. LC could be more competitive if only the coaches would adjust their scheme to match the personnel and not force a square peg into a round hole.

It seems that mostly everyone getting on here and saying this and saying that have kids on the team and are using this venue to blast the coaching staff. I've been reading and have said my peace on another Lenoir City thread, but I do agree with some of you. A couple of people said that LC doesnt have the athletes to win or even compete at this level. You gage football success on speed, strength, and in rare cases size. The reason I say in rare cases is because it doesn't matter how big you are if you are not strong. If anyone can provide the information that one poster asked for it would help us to see what LC is playing with. How many kids can bench press 250? How many kids can squat 300? How many kids can run faster than a 4.7 40? If you don't have several that can do all three then your beating your head against the wall against stronger and faster teams. I am curious to see how this plays out for Coach White, because when I was at LC, I was told on many occasions by the principal, athletic director, and more importantly the superintendent that they would never fire any coaches for losing.

It does take players, but coaches need to get the most from what they have. LC continues to do the same thing over and over and expect different results. (Einstein??™s definition of insanity).

A few coaching ideas.

Offense: Pass patterns are breaking at the same time and not sequentially. Teach the QB to make reads and not watch one receiver down the field. Satterfield can throw the ball, but the coaches are trying difficult passes. Simplify the routes. Offensive line: LC does not have the size to zone or head up block consistently. Trap, fold, cross,.....there are several options available. Anderson County was having a field day off the trap block.

Defense: LC does not have the personnel to run the 4-3. Anderson County ran the 5-4 and successfully shut down the LC run game. LC could learn from this. Defensive backs are lost. They are missing reads and have problems lining up. Also, when teams are inside the 10 yard line, LC insists on staying in the 4 man line. Once they changed to a five front. Ever heard of a goal line defense?

These are just a few examples of how coaches could get more out of the players they currently have on the team. You can not wish for what you do not have. Make the most of it. LC could be more competitive if only the coaches would adjust their scheme to match the personnel and not force a square peg into a round hole.

Good point Maxi6. I believe that a coach must adjust/adapt his schemes to the talent that he has. Sometimes I do not think the LC Coaches do this very well. However, it still helps to have players with size, speed and strength , of which LC does not have an abundance of any of these. THis does not mean you cannot be competitive or win football games. I do think there is some good younger talent in this program (Frosh.-Jrs) and hope that if Coach White is retained he will adjust his schemes to utilize the talent he has coming back. They lose alot of Sr. Linemen but retain almost all of the WR's and a good young stable of RB's. THe 2nd team QB is a Jr. and has a strong arm. Next year, hopefully the coaches will utilize more of a spread offense to make the most of the talent they have. Only time will tell.

It seems that mostly everyone getting on here and saying this and saying that have kids on the team and are using this venue to blast the coaching staff. I've been reading and have said my peace on another Lenoir City thread, but I do agree with some of you. A couple of people said that LC doesnt have the athletes to win or even compete at this level. You gage football success on speed, strength, and in rare cases size. The reason I say in rare cases is because it doesn't matter how big you are if you are not strong. If anyone can provide the information that one poster asked for it would help us to see what LC is playing with. How many kids can bench press 250? How many kids can squat 300? How many kids can run faster than a 4.7 40? If you don't have several that can do all three then your beating your head against the wall against stronger and faster teams. I am curious to see how this plays out for Coach White, because when I was at LC, I was told on many occasions by the principal, athletic director, and more importantly the superintendent that they would never fire any coaches for losing.

Coach, good to hear from you again and hope things are going well. Alot of what you stated is true but really caught my attention was what you mentioned about coach White. Sitting in the stands last night the rumor mill was flying and most of it was after the game was decided and all you heard was that White would be gone if he lost this game. I've never heard of a coach getting booted halfway thru the season but I guess you never know. If he does lose again and again and finish o-10 the question begs for an answer, do you let a coach go??

If he goes 0-10 I think you have no choice but to let him go. The more he loses the less people show up to watch the game. Therefore the less money the school makes on Friday nights. After last nights loss that makes LC 12 straight loses dating back to last year. I felt that they needed to change coach's at the end of last year. I also noticed at last nights game that Coach White had another Assistant Coach on the sidelines that had not been there before last night. Also being at the game last night I noticed LOTS of empty seats in the season ticket section. I know if rained all day but was not raining 2 hours before game time. A good portion of the people left after the Homecoming Queen was announced telling em that was the ONLY reason they came to the game last night because they are tired of losing.

As far as Coach White and his lack of discipline goes, when a player cusses you and walks off the field telling you he is quiting, in my opinion that young man would NOT be allowed back on my team. Another example is Jeremy Coleman. He actually handed transfer papers to Coach White who refused to sign them. He did not practice all week, but played last nght. He was not any help fumbling 2 times after long gains. You have to stand by your guns and your rules. If you don't practice you DON'T play. I don't care how much the kids parents whine and complain you have to stick to your rules set forth and given to the kids before the season that the KIDS and the PARENTS have to sign and return to the coach.

LCHS NEEDS A CHANGE or attendance and support will continue to drop.

What level are we speaking of? I assume it is 4A. LC Has scored 20 points this year, 13 against a 5A team (7 on defense fumble recovery) and 7 against a 2A team on a 80 yard run. 0 against the only 4A team they faced and 0 against the 3A team last night. Yes I agree LC is not as deep as some of the others (Powell had over 100 boys on their team)and LC is undersized in some areas to be considered major problems for Maryville, Central and some of the others in the region, but should match up, and at least be somewhat competitive against a 3A team, and for sure a 2A team.

It doesn't matter what level. If they don't have guys that can do the things that were mentioned then they can't compete at any high school level. For example: Loudon has at least three guys as fast or faster than Lenoir City's fastest. Both backs and Gasper have as much or more speed than Edwards. I would also venture to say that Ben Everett is stronger than any of LC's players. They probably have others. It's really a pretty simple equation. Speed and strength equal success in football. I know you are all going to say there are discipline problems as well, and I am not going to comment on that because, I know the situation Coach White is in better than most of you. Just trust me when I say it's a tough place to coach.