A lenoir city winning streek?

lcpanther67

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If what you are saying is true. That they are as dedicated as Maryville, and working as hard, then that could only mean that they are not winning for one of two reasons. Either no talent or no coaching. Which do you really think it is? How many players at Lenoir City can run a sub 4.7 40? How many players can squat 300 lbs, bench 250, and power clean 200? I would venture to say, very few.

If what you are saying is true. That they are as dedicated as Maryville, and working as hard, then that could only mean that they are not winning for one of two reasons. Either no talent or no coaching. Which do you really think it is? How many players at Lenoir City can run a sub 4.7 40. How many players can squat 300 lbs, bench 250, and power clean 200? I would venture to say, very few.

So what you are saying is the kids are sub par with Maryville, how about Powell or Loudon? LC hasn't played Maryville yet, so we'll see on that one, but we have played Karns, Powell and Loudon.

All good programs make workouts mandatory. Like I said, it is not advertised as mandatory but it is understood and accepted to be by the athletes and the parents. Then the administration will support the coaches when some lazy kids parents come and complain because little Johnny is having to work for something. I also think that athletes gravitate toward great motivators. At LC however, great motivators are shot down by the administration. If you motivate you are told that you shouldn't influence the kids to want to work hard. You shouldn't pressure them to want more than 0-10. It is a joke from the top. I'm sorry but it's true.

i would say that if a coach who's job is probably at risk had a tallented junior or senoir that was committed to playing the game, he would not leave the young man sitting on the sidelines. I guess the coach would be playing the kids that he thought gave him the best shot at winning and saving his job.

I agree to a point but those young men 3 years ago would've never seen the field. Had a good team and you were lucky to play as a junior. Younger guys better get ready 0-10 this year and worse next year.

All good programs make workouts mandatory. Like I said, it is not advertised as mandatory but it is understood and accepted to be by the athletes and the parents. Then the administration will support the coaches when some lazy kids parents come and complain because little Johnny is having to work for something. I also think that athletes gravitate toward great motivators. At LC however, great motivators are shot down by the administration. If you motivate you are told that you shouldn't influence the kids to want to work hard. You shouldn't pressure them to want more than 0-10. It is a joke from the top. I'm sorry but it's true.

We as parents, and the players understood it to be mandatory, and the problem lies in that over the past few seasons, even with threats of not playing, a starter could miss and everyone knows he won't miss a start at all or run or any other form of punishment. You can talk all you want about summer workouts and such, but when the team knows that any threat of discipline doesn't apply to certain members of the team, that is a COACH problem. The younger players were told if they came to summer practice every day they would get first in line for pads etc, some never missed a practice or workout, but when it came time to hand out equiptment, it was done by class, never taking into account the attendence of the player, that is a COACH problem. When the team is told on Thursday to wear certain clothes to school on Friday or they won't start and it isn't enforced with the "stars", that is a COACH problem. You have to earn respect as a coach, you can't scare it into a team, threaten it into a team, or anything else, and when you don't hold every player to the same standards, or time and time again don't follow through with what you said, the team loses respect for you as a COACH. I will without a doubt say that the Maryville coach has the respect of his players (since we were compared to Maryville other ways).

This was taken from the story about the Alcoa player dismissed on Tuesday

"We got the same rules for five-star college athletes as for kids that can't play. That's one thing you can't accuse me of is treating everybody different. I'm not a star-system guy. I'm a big team guy. Everybody's treated the same, whether they run a 4.4 or a 5.4." said Alcoa coach Gary Rankin.

Too many players and parents have not seen that at LCHS, and not just from the current coaching staff.

You are validating my point. The coaches hands are tied. They are not allowed to discipline kids for not coming. I will agree that if they are not going to follow through with what they say then they are losing the players respect.

To certain degree yes, we agree that the administration doesn't support the coaches (of any of the sports) very much, but with the administration really not caring that much about the sports, why would they care if a lineman, or running back or QB didn't get to start because of rules violations. Treating some members different than others is not an administration problem, that starts with the coaches. I would almost think it would be more difficult in Maryville or Alcoa to set a starter down and risk losing than at LC.

We as parents, and the players understood it to be mandatory, and the problem lies in that over the past few seasons, even with threats of not playing, a starter could miss and everyone knows he won't miss a start at all or run or any other form of punishment. You can talk all you want about summer workouts and such, but when the team knows that any threat of discipline doesn't apply to certain members of the team, that is a COACH problem. The younger players were told if they came to summer practice every day they would get first in line for pads etc, some never missed a practice or workout, but when it came time to hand out equiptment, it was done by class, never taking into account the attendence of the player, that is a COACH problem. When the team is told on Thursday to wear certain clothes to school on Friday or they won't start and it isn't enforced with the "stars", that is a COACH problem. You have to earn respect as a coach, you can't scare it into a team, threaten it into a team, or anything else, and when you don't hold every player to the same standards, or time and time again don't follow through with what you said, the team loses respect for you as a COACH. I will without a doubt say that the Maryville coach has the respect of his players (since we were compared to Maryville other ways).

I like the coaches latest idea, have some starters due to injuries sit during practice and then let them start Friday. Boy that makes the other kids feel wanted. Or how about this, cus a coach out and say I quit only to be on the field for practice today. Coaches must be really sweating it out.

Preach it "lcfootball". This is what I hear time and again from players. Nobody respects them because they don't tell the truth. One kid said that if the coach tells you something, you can bet the "exact opposite will happen."