Greenbrier at Portland - Week 3

GreenbrierCat2

Coacht schedule says this is our first meeting...it's not but it's been a while. I can't remember what year but I vaguely remember going to a Portland-Greenbrier game in maybe 98 or 99.

So here we go on another away game just when I was getting used to my new seat in our new stands. Any other Bobcat fan notice how small that new "visitor side" looks now? It sure is nice to have the roomy new stands but we need to fill those seats up! And get people to sit in the RIGHT spot. It makes the season ticket holders look like the bad guys to have to kick someone out of their seats so for any Bobcat fan that's reading this, if you didn't buy prepaid season tickets, PLEASE don't sit in the seats with backs on them.

So, here we come Portland! But first the freshman get to come visit us this Thursday night. I'm looking forward to going over to Portland and seeing our boys play a hard hitting, smashmouth football game. The fans need to pack in and we need to show our green.

What's the predictions here?

Go Cats!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's take the intensity that we took to PJP along with the Greenbrier Faithful and make some noise. I hope Coach Williams has these boys fired up and focused. Portland is much like an unknown team since it's been so long since we played them but I believe in the Cats. I think Greenbrier will come home with another W.

Here's hoping for a good game with no injuries on either side. Good Luck!

This has always been a good rivalry game for many years until it went off of the schedule. Up until the last couple of years, the Cats would normally play Portland each year in their spring game. The games were usually competitive but Portland seemed to drop off some in the last couple of years. I had heard they were down this year but their game with White House didn't go exactly like I thought it would so I have no idea what to expect from them.

Coacht schedule says this is our first meeting...it's not but it's been a while. I can't remember what year but I vaguely remember going to a Portland-Greenbrier game in maybe 98 or 99.

So here we go on another away game just when I was getting used to my new seat in our new stands. Any other Bobcat fan notice how small that new "visitor side" looks now? It sure is nice to have the roomy new stands but we need to fill those seats up! And get people to sit in the RIGHT spot. It makes the season ticket holders look like the bad guys to have to kick someone out of their seats so for any Bobcat fan that's reading this, if you didn't buy prepaid season tickets, PLEASE don't sit in the seats with backs on them.

So, here we come Portland! But first the freshman get to come visit us this Thursday night. I'm looking forward to going over to Portland and seeing our boys play a hard hitting, smashmouth football game. The fans need to pack in and we need to show our green.

What's the predictions here?

Go Cats!

I believe these two teams last played one another in 2000 when they were both in the "old Region 4-3A" that included White House, Portland, Greenbrier, Macon Co., etc.

In 2001 is when White House jumped to 4A (played in Region 6 with Pearl, Maplewood, Stratford, Whites Creek, etc.), Greenbrier moved to Region 5-3A (which featured Sycamore, Marshall, Page, Giles, etc.), Trousdale Co. & Smith Co. moved to Region 4-3A (those teams along with Portland & Macon Co. played some great games).

Once Greenbrier & Portland dropped their region rivalry they never played one another any longer. Both teams did however keep their rivalries with White House.

NOW TO THIS WEEK'S GAME

I read in Saturday's paper where Coach Williams was not very excited about the win over DeKalb Co. Somebody tell him that DeKalb is improved this year and will make a lot of supposed "good teams" look bad. Portland played White House very well in that rivalry to open the season. Last week they followed that game by losing to a Northwest team that has been terrible for a couple of seasons now. Maybe it was an emotional letdown for Coach Bever's young Panther squad. Who knows??????

This week I expect both teams to play a lot harder and a lot better than they both did last week. Greenbrier will win the game because of their experience but I don't expect a blowout.

Greenbrier: 14

Portland: 6

This game should be interesting. I am looking forward to playing Portland again, but I went to the freshman game last night, and I'll let the Bobcats players and fans know, Portland fans last night were after blood. If their varsity plays like the freshman, and I assume they do, because they're on the same team, they go lower than needed to make a tackle. They are looking to hurt someone, and last night even when our player was laying on the ground in pain, the fans were yelling "hit him again".

Portland lost last night to our freshmen 38-34, so I'm sure that will fuel their fire even more.

Greenbrier fans need to make some NOISE tonight!!

Go CATS!

This game should be interesting. I am looking forward to playing Portland again, but I went to the freshman game last night, and I'll let the Bobcats players and fans know, Portland fans last night were after blood. If their varsity plays like the freshman, and I assume they do, because they're on the same team, they go lower than needed to make a tackle. They are looking to hurt someone, and last night even when our player was laying on the ground in pain, the fans were yelling "hit him again".

Portland lost last night to our freshmen 38-34, so I'm sure that will fuel their fire even more.

Greenbrier fans need to make some NOISE tonight!!

Go CATS!

I have faith that we have more than a few 'big hitters' on our side, too. When I saw the hit that little (but with a BIG heart!) Michael Seay put on one of DeKalb's big guys last week, I was more than impressed. If Ryan Dickerson, Clint Grubbs and a few of our line and backers are healthy tonight, look for 'em to 'bring it.'

Just play Greenbrier football and everything else will take care of itself.

Looks like 'football' weather, so the Cat faithful should be there in force tonight. Can't wait.

Great game Bobcats. You came through again, pulled out the D and stopped that first Portland TD. Portland's #2 was good but the Cats played hard and turned on the heat. Portland scored on subs in the last couple of mibnutes of the game. Way to go #60 for chasing down that long run.

I do like watching the Bobcats! You are all so good but Justin and Bryan were on the money tonight. BEAUTIFUL plays. Zig, you are as slippery as jello, and Mike Seay is as fun to watch as Roger. He makes it happen. Ricky and Paul left impressions and both Clints made my day. You guys are clicking like a machine..time to rest next week and come out even stronger. It only gets tougher from here!

Way to go Cats! Keep up the good work!

Great game Bobcats. You came through again, pulled out the D and stopped that first Portland TD. Portland's #2 was good but the Cats played hard and turned on the heat. Portland scored on subs in the last couple of mibnutes of the game. Way to go #60 for chasing down that long run.

I do like watching the Bobcats! You are all so good but Justin and Bryan were on the money tonight. BEAUTIFUL plays. Zig, you are as slippery as jello, and Mike Seay is as fun to watch as Roger. He makes it happen. Ricky and Paul left impressions and both Clints made my day. You guys are clicking like a machine..time to rest next week and come out even stronger. It only gets tougher from here!

Way to go Cats! Keep up the good work!

You might be interested to see the Friday Tennessean HS Stadium article...the Greenies has one of the Top-10 stadium atmospheres according to them...and is bound to get better when the new stadium gets seasoned with the full houses sure to come in the following weeks. Congrats...