Mccallie-Baylor

mccalliesportsguy

I am probably one of only a handful of McCallie fans who was happy that Friday's game was played on Baylor's campus. Not because I wanted the blue to prove a point, but because I believe this game should always be played on the respective campuses. Friday's night's setting was electric. Fans for both schools were vocal and close enough to the action to actually have a positive impact on their teams.

The policy that McCallie has adopted in recent years to move games for which they expect a large crowd to Finley removes any home field advantage that may exist for the players because even a large crowd gets swallowed up in Finley. This policy suggests that giving the players and coaches who personally invest so much into the season every opportunity to win is not as important as the comfort of the fans.

While watching McCallie lose to a superior Brentwood Academy team earlier this season at Finley, I couldn't help but wonder if the blue might have been able to stay in the game longer if there had been a united fan base supporting with one voice at Spears Stadium. Although it's unlikely the outcome of the game would have changed, by playing that game at Finley, the administration denied the team the emotional lift that is generated by a charged up home crowd. Those of us at the game were so spread out that it was impossible to generate a united voice from the bleachers.

I recognize that hosting a big game on campus is a logistical nightmare for those in charge, but that is a lame excuse for moving home games. Perhaps it's time for a younger, more energetic athletic director who is willing to put the interests of his team ahead of making his life easier.

I recognize that playing the McCallie-Baylor game on campus means that the demand for tickets will be greater than the supply. I see that as a positive. I personally would have liked to have had a ticket for the game in Knoxville on Saturday, but there aren't enough tickets available to fill the demand. That's the way it is for almost every major sporting event everywhere. When we can't get a ticket to an event, we watch on TV, listen on the radio, get updates from friends at the game, etc. We deal with it. The notion that for some reason I have a right to see any game I'm interested in is ludicrous.

I applaud the Baylor administration for staging Friday's game on campus. I recognize that it required a great deal of planning and coordination. In my view, that is the responsibility of the home game management team. As a visitor Friday night, I appreciated the effort.

Well said MQ

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an observer of this thread from start to finish, I believe that all of you are from Baylor trying to cast a shadow over the fact that McCallie beat Baylor on thier home field. They denied me and many more fans the opportunity to view this game up close and personal with the disguish that it provides an High School feel. If we were (and I know that we are not) in a major city the game would be played in a large arena, so quit being phony Baylor, McCallie beat you. I hope that next year 08 McCallie brings this game back to Finley where it belongs and also I hope that they make it eleven (11) that's right count it eleven (11) wins over an administration like Baylor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know much about mapquest but I am pretty sure mccalliesportsguy is not much of a Baylor fan. Next year you can play the game in Neyland Stadium if you want to but the following year I hope it is at Baylor. Since you do not have enough pull to get a ticket, you can always listen on the Baylor Broadcast Network.

I don't know much about mapquest but I am pretty sure mccalliesportsguy is not much of a Baylor fan. Next year you can play the game in Neyland Stadium if you want to but the following year I hope it is at Baylor. Since you do not have enough pull to get a ticket, you can always listen on the Baylor Broadcast Network.

To hear Baylor lose number twelve (12) to McCallie would not miss it for the world. By the way, I will watch it on the Internet /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> .

Baylor has had a horrible year for injuries. At the McCallie/Baylor JV game last night, a Baylor player left in an ambulance. I hope it was only precautionary.

The Blue did complete the football sweep with a score of 33-7 at Heywood Stadium. Needless to say, not many students at Baylor were happy to see the Blue back on campus yesterday for another game.

As an observer of this thread from start to finish, I believe that all of you are from Baylor trying to cast a shadow over the fact that McCallie beat Baylor on thier home field. They denied me and many more fans the opportunity to view this game up close and personal with the disguish that it provides an High School feel. If we were (and I know that we are not) in a major city the game would be played in a large arena, so quit being phony Baylor, McCallie beat you. I hope that next year 08 McCallie brings this game back to Finley where it belongs and also I hope that they make it eleven (11) that's right count it eleven (11) wins over an administration like Baylor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think you Mr. Sir, are being selfish, how many people do you think were "denied the right" to see the tennessee georgia game? the fans don't have a "right" to see the game in person, its a privilege...and the 6,000 or so fans that were there, acted that way by supporting both teams from start to finish...for those fans that were "denied the right" to watch the game in person, both schools had it broadcast on the radio, CSS put it on TV, Frank Burke put it on the jumbotrons down at Bell South (or isn't it AT&T Field now? i get confused) Stump Martin covered it on his show, and all the local news covered it on there shows...i don't think baylor's being phony...i really don't like them as a school or football program..but hey, they got it right on this one...my parents were home before i was so i know that they handled the parking issues as best as possible...my uncle was gone off campus less then 10 min. after the conclusion of the game...i haven't been back over to baylor to see any trash aftermath, but i'm sure they handled that ok too...now being familiar with mccallie's campus, it would be more difficult to host, simply because of the parking issues...but its still totally possible...i hope our administration thinks long and hard about taking the game back downtown, cuz as a senior, the game being on campus made it more special....i hope our juniors next year can feel exactly what i felt...

Bluemom, I am a Baylor supporter and you are right. It has been the most incredible year for Baylor....let alone any school in recent memory that I have ever seen. At least two have or have had season ending surgery. Two additional starters are gone for the year....maybe three. And three more starters have missed most of the season. Now Massey is out and another starting linebacker. Have also heard that our punter may be out...we'll see. Our kids keep on fighting though. I am sure that you enjoyed the ending of the game Friday night....I would have if the results had been different. Great game for the fans. Our kids took it pretty hard as you would expect. I really hated to see them hurt so bad but it is a life lesson I guess. As a mother I am sure you understand what I am talking about. Should have scored at the one inch line. What if we had given it to our running back that plowed down the field to get us there. Massey gave it a great effort...but with a hobbled leg he could not push off on it. What if...you know how it goes. Just too many mistakes on our part again to overcome having so many players out. I know that so many more could have witnessed the game at Finley. And Finley is a wonderful place to be proud of. But no way have any Baylor/McCallie games had the electric atmosphere of it being on a campus. The announcers on TV went on and on about it. That feeling is hard to duplicate at a large stadium. I will swallow my pride and say congratulations to your team. Regardless of the outcome it really was one for the ages.

Baylor has had a horrible year for injuries. At the McCallie/Baylor JV game last night, a Baylor player left in an ambulance. I hope it was only precautionary.

The Blue did complete the football sweep with a score of 33-7 at Heywood Stadium. Needless to say, not many students at Baylor were happy to see the Blue back on campus yesterday for another game.

Sports89, You don't have to swallow your pride! The Red played a great game and should be proud of the efforts of their team. Of course, mistakes on both sides all around. But your guys played their hearts out as did ours. This one could have gone either way. I know my son is still on Cloud 9 and might need a bigger helmet, except for the fact I'm sure they've watched film!

As a mom, it scares me to death to contemplate the injury potential. My heart goes out to every parent who has to watch their child being strapped to a backboard and carted off -- even when it is totally precautionary and everything ends well. My son long snaps and that position while protected is still vulnerable to neck injury.

Overall Baylor handled the administrative side of the event very well. The pre-game reports kept us on a rollercoaster of emotion. My husband said that it reminded him of his days at McCallie when the game was at Chamberlain and arriving early just to yell at each other across the field!

i think you Mr. Sir, are being selfish, how many people do you think were "denied the right" to see the tennessee georgia game? the fans don't have a "right" to see the game in person, its a privilege...and the 6,000 or so fans that were there, acted that way by supporting both teams from start to finish...for those fans that were "denied the right" to watch the game in person, both schools had it broadcast on the radio, CSS put it on TV, Frank Burke put it on the jumbotrons down at Bell South (or isn't it AT&T Field now? i get confused) Stump Martin covered it on his show, and all the local news covered it on there shows...i don't think baylor's being phony...i really don't like them as a school or football program..but hey, they got it right on this one...my parents were home before i was so i know that they handled the parking issues as best as possible...my uncle was gone off campus less then 10 min. after the conclusion of the game...i haven't been back over to baylor to see any trash aftermath, but i'm sure they handled that ok too...now being familiar with mccallie's campus, it would be more difficult to host, simply because of the parking issues...but its still totally possible...i hope our administration thinks long and hard about taking the game back downtown, cuz as a senior, the game being on campus made it more special....i hope our juniors next year can feel exactly what i felt...

THis will be my final comment on this thread. THe Championship game is played on the Real Deal, so why would we not want our team to play in that arena? Regardless of all the feel good stories the game has become to big for Baylor and McCallie's arena and you must realize that /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" /> .

THis will be my final comment on this thread. THe Championship game is played on the Real Deal, so why would we not want our team to play in that arena? Regardless of all the feel good stories the game has become to big for Baylor and McCallie's arena and you must realize that /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" /> .

Lookerr

You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else. The fact that you think the game has gotten to (too?) big for the schools' arenas does not make it a fact; that is merely your opinion, and one not shared by all.

Bluemom, Thanks for your response. If your son is the long snapper he did a fine job. I remember Baylor having McCallie pinned in the endzone a couple of times and for the snapper and punter to get them off was a great job. The kicking and punting for both teams was just great for high school. Baylor's kicker put it in the end zone 2 out of 3 times and to get the field goal off with 1 second and to make it.... was short of a miracle. The McCallie kicker did a great job also....if only we had not called timeout when he missed the first one. Oh well. Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Sports89, You don't have to swallow your pride! The Red played a great game and should be proud of the efforts of their team. Of course, mistakes on both sides all around. But your guys played their hearts out as did ours. This one could have gone either way. I know my son is still on Cloud 9 and might need a bigger helmet, except for the fact I'm sure they've watched film!

As a mom, it scares me to death to contemplate the injury potential. My heart goes out to every parent who has to watch their child being strapped to a backboard and carted off -- even when it is totally precautionary and everything ends well. My son long snaps and that position while protected is still vulnerable to neck injury.

Overall Baylor handled the administrative side of the event very well. The pre-game reports kept us on a rollercoaster of emotion. My husband said that it reminded him of his days at McCallie when the game was at Chamberlain and arriving early just to yell at each other across the field!