Temple Sanctions sets new precedent

Farmboy1

Well with the latest article in the paper I guess this is setting new rules to follow in hiring ball coaches in private schools.As long as you have a verbal agreement your kid can get free education if you are a good coach.I am glad he got his 1099 now that everything has been cleared.I wont be shocked if nothing is done to Temple and cant wait to see what the folks in Jackson have to say.Way to follow it to the letter of the law Ronnie. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree - very convenient that the "misunderstanding" or "clerical erorr" is cleared up now. Wouldn't want them to lose their title's and games for the year. If he didn't pay tuition, then it should be pretty cut and dry but I'm sure this was smoothed over since he will get a 1099 from the last year or two to cover the infractions. All will be well again after this matter is cleared up.

I told you all plainly in the very beginning of the discussion about Skogen and the tuition issue that this was the way it was.

Go read the handbook for yourselves. The rules say that the kid cannot receive free tuition or financial aid unless the parent is a full-time faculty memeber (paraphrasing). This was not an issue of free tuition or financial aid.

Good grief guys. Are you so bent on believing something that is not true that you cannot see past the nose on your face.

Whoops! There goes the Easter Bunny! Quick! You had better go catch him before he gets away!

I told you all plainly in the very beginning of the discussion about Skogen and the tuition issue that this was the way it was.

Go read the handbook for yourselves. The rules say that the kid cannot receive free tuition or financial aid unless the parent is a full-time faculty memeber (paraphrasing). This was not an issue of free tuition or financial aid.

Good grief guys. Are you so bent on believing something that is not true that you cannot see past the nose on your face.

Whoops! There goes the Easter Bunny! Quick! You had better go catch him before he gets away!

From the very start of this whole matter you have been saying Temple has not done anything wrong,well you were wrong pasture and you have been choosing your words carefully since. If you want to act like things were done in the right way about skogen and wadley then keep telling yourself that.I dont know why you put that in your post because he was not a full time faculty member ever. Basically TSSAA has the right to nail Chastain and the current adminstration but accept the verbal agreement with skogen

From the very start of this whole matter you have been saying Temple has not done anything wrong,well you were wrong pasture and you have been choosing your words carefully since. If you want to act like things were done in the right way about skogen and wadley then keep telling yourself that.I dont know why you put that in your post because he was not a full time faculty member ever. Basically TSSAA has the right to nail Chastain and the current adminstration but accept the verbal agreement with skogen

Have I? I think what I have continued to be very clear about is that I thought we should wait on the trip up to the woodshed until the TSSAA issued a formal charge of wrongdoing. I honestly do not remember saying that I believed that Temple had not done anything wrong, but I may have. I surprise myself sometimes with what I say. That is why I try to choose my words carefully. They never taste as good the second time around.

Admittedly, I am sure I was a little more intent on believing the best about Temple until I actually read through the handbook a good dozen times for myself. That is why I have been so clear that I did not think the Skogen's tuition issue was even an issue. The TSSAA should accept the verbal agreement. In fact, they have to accept it. First because it was an agreement that both parties understood to be payment for services rendered. Second, nowhere in the TSSAA handbook does it specify how a coach should or should not be paid for services rendered, in fact, the TSSAA does not even care about those things. The only thing they care about is that the athlete did not receive financial aid, which he CLEARLY did not. Third, the handbook does not specify in what manner the tuition is paid, as long as the parent pays all of it.

I told you that this was the way it was in the very beginning but you already had your mind made up that there was some wrong doing there and now that the TSSAA ruled the way I said they would, you still believe there was some wrong doing. Like I have already said, read the handbook.

How much does it cost to attend Temple now for the 9-12 grades? It would seem the cost to send two there would be more than the average coaching supplement.

1. Coach Skogen had been the assistant varsity and head jv coach for for 7 years being paid $0.

2. Coach Skogen had been co-head middle school football coach for 1 year being paid $0.

3. Coach Skogen had been co-head varsity footbal coach for 3 years being paid $0.

4. TN temple is around 3,500 a year and their is a sizeable discount at that school for a second child enrolled.

5. That second child was there for only a semester before going to McCallie...

6. Coach skogen probably was paid AT THE MOST (3,500 + ((1/2)*3,500) =$5250 that is without the 2nd child discount

7. So he made $5250 for coaching basketball for 8 years and football for 5 years that comes out to $404 per sport per year....

I know of assistant basketball coaches in the chattanooga area who make 2,500 for one year....

He made (AT THE MOST) 5,250 dollars in one year for being the head basketball coach and head football coach....so what is the problem (other than he didn't get paid enough, just for that year).....was he not successful enough with what he had????

6. Coach skogen probably was paid AT THE MOST (3,500 + ((1/2)*3,500) =$5250 that is without the 2nd child discount

Actually HS tuition is $4690 per year according to the Temple web site. The $3500 is for lower levels. How much he was paid is not really an issue. Any private school can pay their coaches any amount they want to. If $9380 less discounts is what Temple was willing to pay for a head FB and BB coach then it is their choice.

Actually HS tuition is $4690 per year according to the Temple web site. The $3500 is for lower levels. How much he was paid is not really an issue. Any private school can pay their coaches any amount they want to. If $9380 less discounts is what Temple was willing to pay for a head FB and BB coach then it is their choice.

I think that has probably gone up just over the past 2 months...because temple is going to get fined, and they are going to have to cancel the football team...especially for next year...they probably just raised the rates becasue they will have to pay every school in the region 1,500 buck-a-roos... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />